Car title... lost or stolen

Metal Boss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I think I lost my title, or it was stolen out of my vehicle (stupid idea to leave it in there, i know)... If by chance it was stolen, what could someone do with it?

you have to rebuy youre car. or you have to find the old owner and ask them for a new one, they can make you buy it again. im pretty sure i saw it in csi one time.

:lol:

I actually read the process wasn't that much of a headache, hopefully they don't need more proof that I own the junker than I have.

I lost mine a while back. I just had to goto the dmv and get a new one for like 5 bucks. If you tell them you think it might have been stolen, then they will tell you what you need to do. If whoever stole it hasnt sold it to themselves, maybe you can get a new one issued with a different registration number or something.

All i had was my drivers license and they had my car on the computer. DIdnt need a blood sample or any other extensive proof that I was who I said I was.

EDIT: this probably doesn't need to be said but do it sooner rather then later ;P

I've worked for a dealership before. Go to your local DMV office and they'll get you a new title with a new number, that way is some jackass has your other one, it's no longer valid.

The DMV or tag office makes a copy of every title onto microfilm and keeps it for 5 years. Not only can you get them to issue you another one but you can also find out who stole it if they try to 'sell' it to themselves.

[quote name='cletus']The DMV or tag office makes a copy of every title onto microfilm and keeps it for 5 years. Not only can you get them to issue you another one but you can also find out who stole it if they try to 'sell' it to themselves.[/quote]

Thats awesome, hopefully someone hasn't tried that though... Why someone would want a broken up 1987 GM is beyond me :) I'm thinking that I lost it but I can't remember ever taking it out of the vehicle myself, so it's kind of a mystery. Thanks for the suggestions.

bread's done
Back