Cashiers, how often do you encounter coins?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
This is a question for anyone who collects money from the general public for small transactions. This includes convenience stores, grocery stores, retail outlets, restaurants, and fast food chains.

How often do customers pay using coins and how often do you hand out coins in change? Has everyone migrated to a cashless society in favor of plastic, or do people still carry out transactions using cash and coin? I personally use cash for any transaction less than fifty dollars or so, but that's just me.

I prefer answers in the format of:

"On average, I estimate x% of paying customers either pay using coins or receive coins in change"

Secondly, as a cashier, how often do you encounter:

Half dollars (fifty cent pieces)
Sacagewea or Presidential dollars
Susan B. Anthony dollars
Eisenhower dollars (the big ones from the 1970's)
'Old' coins (define your definition of 'old')

This isn't for a survey or anything. I'm a coin collector and just curious is all!

I do cash transactions frequently at my job. Only rarely do I find anything good. Silver coins now and then, and some crazy foreign coins. But I could count the weird ones on three hands in 5 + years. I give change daily. And get.

I don't really keep track as I only cashier when they need backup. I know there's a good bit of cash transactions though, coins included. All coins is rare though and can count the times on one hand probably.

As far as special coins go (such as the dollar coins), I don't think I've seen them since I worked at a gas station back in 2007. The same can be said for 50 cent pieces, but those were even rarer.

I'm not a cashier but i do handle money quite a bit at my job. Never personally had any dollar or 50 cent coins given to me. Do tend to get foriegn coins, or those copper pennies a few times a week though.

I'm a few miles from the Canadian border so we get Canadian coins every once and awhile.

$1 we get every once and awhile too. During holiday time last year some women paid like $30 in $1 coins and got mad when I made the cashier open the roll and count them.

A few weeks ago, I was given coins as change from a $20. $1 coins with presidents on them. Looked flawless and polished like they were fresh from the mint. The cashier said, "Sorry, but I really gotta get rid of all of them. They're still money though so they're worth something." (I laughed at her last comment.) She said she had rolls and rolls of them weighing down her register drawer.

I thought all $1 coins had women on them (Sacagewea/Susan), so it was cool seeing these.

I cashier almost daily. I'd say cash is still about maybe, 2/5 of transactions, with credit/debit cards being 2/5 and check/EBT/Misc being the final 1/5. All change is pretty rare though, there are some regular homeless people and silly old women that insist in using every coin ever minted to pay for their groceries. Rare coins? I snag em when I see em (by snag I mean, exchange my coins for the rare ones). I'll usually end up with 2-3 silver quarters or half dollars a month, and few other random coins and 2 dollar bills. I don't collect them, but my dad and girlfriend do.

bread's done
Back