Caster Win/Mac/Linux - Pay What You Want Sale

bitter1961

CAGiversary!

Mike D. Smith/Elecorn is running a week-long "Pay What You Want" sale on his indie 3rd person action shooter Caster. Regular price is $4.99.

Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux -- it sounds like one donation gets you access to all three versions. The iPhone and iPad versions are not included in this sale.

The pay what you want sale is available at the homepage, http://www.elecorn.com/caster3d/ by clicking on the "Donate" button (beneath the regularly priced "Buy Now" options). The site warns to be sure to click "Return to Elecorn LLC" after finishing with PayPal to access your downloads. Keep in mind that your donation should cover PayPal fees and bandwidth costs!

Demos are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

This sale should end late Monday night, May 31st.

It's a pretty simple and easy game, but it's a blast when you're playing and upgrading your powers, and has great potential with future episodes available free to owners and good support for modding. It's gotten decent reviews from indie games sites, including nice words from my favorite site, RPS, and a "Game of the Month" and "Gold Award" from Game Tunnel. I like it, but I don't know if it would be for everyone at full price... but this week it's available for whatever you want to pay for it!

I feel the same way - If the trailer is anything like the actual game, then it may not be particularly exciting to play. Since the game normally goes for $4.99, I guess that's why it's not content-packed.

I'll pass on this one.

If you do not have this game yet, PLEASE make a contribution and pick this game up. This game is fantastic is every way. It may be short, but I have put my fair share of time into the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is worth playing over again and again. The graphics are above average, the music is fantastic, and the gameplay is incredibly addicting. It may be a $4.99 game, but I feel Elecorn is being very generous with the price, especially allowing all future updates to be free. I could have paid $14.99 and got my worth out of it. This is actually one game I would love to see picked up by a major developer, and develop it into a full MSRP $60 game. It would be a day one purchase for me.

I'm not quite as enthusiastic as GaveUpTomorrow, but it really is a fun and intense game, even if it isn't huge. I just watched the trailer, and it gives quite a bad and inaccurate impression of the game, mainly fly-throughs of levels and shooting of trees(!?).

The real game actually has enemies, and as you upgrade after each level it gets better and better, until you're filling the screen with laser bolts while fighting waves of enemies.

It also has some interesting ideas like the terrain raising and lowering weapons and enemies, but it's been pretty underutilized, at least in the first Episode. Haven't actually tried the second episode yet, getting the email about this sale actually just reminded me that it's out.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I can't wait for that Fallout 3 GOTY pay what you want sale. That's coming soon right?[/QUOTE]

oh how wishful thinking is.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']If you do not have this game yet, PLEASE make a contribution and pick this game up. This game is fantastic is every way. It may be short, but I have put my fair share of time into the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is worth playing over again and again. The graphics are above average, the music is fantastic, and the gameplay is incredibly addicting. It may be a $4.99 game, but I feel Elecorn is being very generous with the price, especially allowing all future updates to be free. I could have paid $14.99 and got my worth out of it. This is actually one game I would love to see picked up by a major developer, and develop it into a full MSRP $60 game. It would be a day one purchase for me.[/QUOTE]
Based on your review, I decided to donate $1 to see if it's better than what the trailer makes it out to be.

If I'm impressed, I'll definitely throw a more generous amount Elecorn's way.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Based on your review, I decided to donate $1 to see if it's better than what the trailer makes it out to be.

If I'm impressed, I'll definitely throw a more generous amount Elecorn's way.[/QUOTE]

Please share your thoughts with the rest of us.

This is very much a bump, but, in the past, Mike here has responded to one or two of my game opinion requests. Therefore, it is my duty, as a civil CAG, to repay the debt.

I've only managed to play a few levels, but I've found Caster 3D to be mildly amusing. The player starts off with very limited abilities, and the enemies I've encountered are slow and all-but-immobile. Everything begins in an extremely slow fashion. The upgrade system gives hope to one day attacking trees in rapid succession like the trailer. The 3D models remind me of Final Fantasy VII and the level geometry reminds me of the wonderful landscapes found in Dragon Ball GT Final Bout on the PlayStation One.

In the end, it's not the worst thing you could waste a dollar or less/more on. If you feel like supporting an indie developer and getting a little diversion for those indecisive/boring moments, throw something Elecron's way.

Free bump for this awesome game. Only 2 more days to pay what you want. Don't miss out on this game, it is a real gem for $5, and an even sweeter deal with pay what you want. And as stated, all future updates are free. This is one of my favorite Indie games out there, so I would like to see some more people enjoy it.

@EliotAndrews:

The game definitely gets more exciting to play as you level up your weapons and abilities. I love the speed of this game. I love being able to speed by enemies and jump across the levels at unimaginable speed, raining down bullets of terror amongst the enemies. Once I beat through all of the levels and was fully powered up, I went through all of the levels and played them a few more times....it is just that good. As I said, if this could be picked up by a major developer, it could turn out incredible. I would love to see the graphics pumped up, have the number of abilities increased, provide a better pace for the leveling system, and give a good 8-10 hours of gameplay. I would easily shell out $60 for an update like that. To me, $5 is still way under-priced for this game...and I don't say that often (I'm a CAG for crying out loud :p)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the bump, I would have missed this thread otherwise. I always try to support indie developers that make their games available for Linux. :)

I would also like to add that if you haven't bought Caster yet, then you must buy Caster! It's a fantastic game. It's one of the few games that makes you feel like a bad ass super hero. I love all of the terrain deformation powers, the super speed, the insane jumping, and all of the crazy weapons. It was definitely a blast to play.

I bought it a long time ago, back when it was first released. I've heard that it's gotten some free content updates, so I'm interested in playing the game some more. I've also seen it ported to many different platforms, such as the iPad, which is interesting.

I don't have too much interest in this game but I would love to see more of these "Pay What You Want" sales so I'll throw a few bucks in for a copy.

Threw down a deuce.
Really appreciated the vibe of everything I have seen
and like the feel after going through the tutorial.
Will jump right back in as soon as time allows.

Anyone with a vision who crosses the line
and sees it through to realization has my respect.
Hope this promotion works out very well for them.
They certainly deserve it for their generosity
and for what they have accomplished.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I can't wait for that Fallout 3 GOTY pay what you want sale. That's coming soon right?[/QUOTE]
It's called the CAG price tracker

bread's done
Back