Castlevania 64 "Horrible or Misunderstood?"

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
A buddy and I got into a conversation about all the diffrent 3D Castlevania games. Which ones were good, tolerable and just plain bad. We were split with the N64 versions. I thought both were awful but he claims they're actually very good games.

I was always under the impresions that they were generally disliked but I see that they have quite a following. What's CAGs opinion of them.

Nah, they're just bad games. The controls are horrible, and the level designs are completely ridiculous. And they have absolutely none of the flair that the 2D 'Vanias had.

At the time, I had some fun with Castlevania 64 and the other 64 title that came out for the Nintendo system. If I was to play one of them now, though, I am not sure what I would think lol.

I only played Curse of Darkness and I thought it was a great game. The level design is basicly taking the 2D level and play them in 3D, which didnt work quit well.

Are these available on the Wii store by some chance? This way I can make an informed decision and get back to you on it.

I've been playing 'Vania games as long as I have been playing games, so naturally when Castelvania 64 came out I had to play it immediately. I was probably about 12 or 13 when it came out, needless to say my parents wouldn't buy the game for me and we settled on a rental and thankfully we did because I found Castlevania 64 to be a complete joke and not what I expected out of a 3D Castlevania title. I was expecting something more along the lines of some of my favorite titles in the series like Castlevania IV.

Well what I got was a seemingly broken and all around bad game; the level design was horrendous, The textures were muddy even for N64 standards, and the game just wasn't fun to play.

The PS2 and Xbox games were a major improvement though! They weren't the 2D 'Vania I know and love, but they were competent and most importantly fun. Both solid action titles.

[quote name='Spyder187']Are these available on the Wii store by some chance? This way I can make an informed decision and get back to you on it.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it is, but don't spend the money on it to even attempt to make an informed decision. Much better ways to spend your money.

[quote name='schuerm26']Not sure if it is, but don't spend the money on it to even attempt to make an informed decision. Much better ways to spend your money.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played my Wii in over a year, but as far as I know neither N64 Castlevania games are on the Virtual Console. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see them on there though. I agree though they aren't worth any amount of money.

Castlevania 64 is not on the VC nor any news of a future release.

I did enjoy Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness. From what I understand CoD would have gotten much better reviews if not for God of War raising the bar for action adventures only a few months before. The story was good but what I liked the most is that it introduced some very interesting characters as well as bringing classic Castlevania hero Trevor Belmont back. The music is phenomenal. If it had better platforming and not so much boring backtracking I wonder if it would be more recognized today.

I played Legacy of Darkness several years ago. The part with Cornell was pretty enjoyable; it had some good music and was decent as an action game.

It simply didn't feel much like Castlevania. I tried playing as the other characters afterward but just couldn't get into it again. They didn't seem to play as well, nor was I interested in traversing the same locations again (and again).

Perhaps it would have been looked upon more fondly if it hadn't had the Castlevania brand-name attached and thus heightened expectations.

I've learned to appreciate the Castlevania 64 games for what they are... very flawed experiences with minor bits of appreciable Castlevania lore and atmosphere in them. They're not utter crap all the way through - there are things to appreciate about them - but that's in spite of the overall bad controls and repetitive puzzles.

I'm still glad I got a hold of Legacy of Darkness. It really did fix some of the problems with the first iteration of the game.

I didn't think that the Castlevania 64 games were AWFUL, but I don't think that they were up to par in the quality department compared to the 2d Castlevania games.

[quote name='Rodimus']A buddy and I got into a conversation about all the diffrent 3D Castlevania games. Which ones were good, tolerable and just plain bad. We were split with the N64 versions. I thought both were awful but he claims they're actually very good games.

I was always under the impresions that they were generally disliked but I see that they have quite a following. What's CAGs opinion of them.[/QUOTE]

Skip to 7:00 and all will be revealed.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/58496

[quote name='phantasyx']it had to have had the best soundtrack ever, am I crazy???[/QUOTE]

Yes your crazy. Click link above and skip to 9:10

At the time like a lot of other N64 games, I thought it was pretty good. Compared to other Castlevania games its definitely on the bottom of the barrel. On its own though it was a pretty good n64 game. The music especially the theme was great and the graphics were really good for that point and time of course. So in other words I wouldn't mind adding that game to my collections :)

I always thought it had a wonderful soundtrack but it just played terrible like most early 3-D games (Nintendo excluded).

I severely disliked (though didn't hate) the 64 games. I liked Lament of Innocence ok, but I really did enjoy Curse of Darkness once I got into the devil raising aspect of it. Though both of the PS2 games did feel a bit empty (not enough enemies?) to me. Love the CoD soundtrack.

bread's done
Back