Castlevania: Lord of Shadow - Resurrection DLC coming in June

This one's definitely near the top of my list after I played the demo, and even moreso after everyone saying "get Enslaved instead." Of course you'll have fanboys that aren't going to like it because it's too different from the 24-year-old NES version (srsly?) or it's not Castlevaniay enough but, hey. If the game is fun you can call it Snazzy Magic Rainbow Werewolf Adventure for all I care, and I loved the tiny bit of it I played.

Kotaku nailed it IMO. That's basically how I felt about the game too. Could have been tightened up in some spots but overall, highly recommended. The visuals and environments are spectacular...does get frustrating at times though, even on Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have to amend my earlier posts. I loved the first few chapters but frustration finally set in for me after Chapter 3. Too much redundant combat, the levels are too long, and even though I had it set to easy, when I have to spend more time reading a walkthrough about all kinds of things (routes that aren't easy to find; bosses and puzzles so obtuse the solution is either unbelievably easy or difficult) than playing the game, that's enough for me. Traded it in for $39 at Amazon and feel bad I spent as much time with it as I did.

I still say there's a great game in there. The graphics and production values are excellent. But it's like they needed to do more quality testing -- it shouldn't be that hard at times to understand what you're doing or where you're going, and the levels are unnecessarily long, especially the further in you go.

None of the levels are long, there's just a lot of them.

My only complaint with the combat is blocking and evading. I never seem to do either right. After playing Bayonetta playing defensively feels restricted.

[quote name='Rodimus']None of the levels are long, there's just a lot of them.

My only complaint with the combat is blocking and evading. I never seem to do either right. After playing Bayonetta playing defensively feels restricted.[/QUOTE]
Hows the evasion? Similar to DMC or GOW?

You hold block then then press the stick the direction you want to roll, pretty similar to GOW. The only time I ever counter is when I do it by mistake, I just can't get the timing right.

I'm at Chapter 10 and I've been trying to find all the Magic Gems and weapon upgrades. Been doing good so far. I really like the story, I'm expecting some kinda twist eventually. I know the game is going to throw me a curve ball, I just know it.

The first few chapters didn't feel very Castlevania to me but halfway through once you get to the castle it felt very much like the series again. I love all the re-imaging of classic monsters and characters like Orlox, Baba Yaga, Brauner, Frankenstein's Creature, Chupacabra, etc. Castlevania does vampires right, not this glittery BS of recent years, but truly creatures of the night.

Excuse the double post but I have to say I loved the ending. It's rare I come across an ending that drops my jaw to the floor, but this one did just that. After those credits rolled I was blown away, hungry for the next installment.

I feel sorry for all the guys who dismissed this so early. It's a perfect reboot of the series. As a hardcore Castlevania fan I couldn't be happier.

I hope most of the people who play this game, at least give it till chapter 3-2. I could see many, abandoning during chapter 2, which ridiculously long and tedious. chapter 5-10 might be unbelievably great; phenomenal atmosphere, better balance between combat and play, good bosses.

Game has issues, until you have a lot more options unlocked (light and dark magics, combos to build up focus, relics) combat is stale but then it gets pretty diverse. I would recommend it to anyone who loves GoW.

Final thoughts ...

The last boss was way too easy, yet at the same time a pain in the ass. Not a fan of the Devil giving speeches to God; sometimes it can be good but mostly they are so bad.
I might also be one of the few people who I've seen in reviews who HATE the end of this game. I remember like right after meeting Zolbek for the first time thinking, "If Gabriel is Dracula I'm going to flip a table over break off a leg and go on a killing spree!" and right now, I might have killed .. more than one person.

Any tips on the ice titan trial? my minute-thirty is up usually right after I break the 2nd rune, I'm definitely missing some trick to it.

[quote name='Guy Mockingdale']
Any tips on the ice titan trial? my minute-thirty is up usually right after I break the 2nd rune, I'm definitely missing some trick to it.[/QUOTE]

Check the Ice Titan bestiary and see what the one item is that will speed up the fight. ;)

thanks professor. i hate when i need to look at a FAQ or ask for help but honestly i would have never figured that out, since i'm not really a codex reader in any game ... except maybe mass effect ... ffxiii.

1055341909_MK3JR-L.jpg

MercurySteam's previous game, Jericho, wouldn't indicate that a project like Lords of Shadow was forthcoming. It should be emphasized that I liked Jericho, even if I couldn't recommend it, for all the reasons I laid out back in 2007 - at least a million years ago, as the Internet reckons time. Novel mechanics and rock-solid worldbuilding were in evidence though; if the studio survived, I wondered what we might see next.

This is what: a game that reaches up from the crust of the accursed earth and tries to seize the moon. Every part of the game isn't perfect - its occasionally recalcitrant camera and (at least, to my mind) somewhat choppy melee experience are, on the whole, mitigated and even ennobled somehow by the coherence of its vision. They become something like the goofy habits of a friend, made diffuse in their aggregated being.

My mouth has hung open and I've pointed at the screen, looking over to Gabe to verify that he is seeing the same thing, and that the wonders and terrors taking place on the screen are genuine and not the result of some ancient cache of psychotropic drugs leaching out of my spinal fluid. An an artistic statement, every corner of this world has something new to tell you. The mythology is actually interesting, not "videogame" interesting. There are also, inexplicably, several moments of strong humor in the game - strange slapstick moments that, executed in Lords' unrelenting Gothic atmosphere, melt that mounting darkness into candy. You see these moments alongside the others, pitch-perfect dramatics and cutscenes you would never think of skipping, and the love of this developer for this project is unavoidable.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/10/20/

Late to the party, but I rented this from Gamefly and loved it. Not a big fan of the Castlevania series. The only one I ever beat was Symphony of the Night, and that was years later with its release on Live. But I really enjoyed this one and am definitely looking forward to a sequel.

Just finished this, and thought it was suitably EPIC. Probably a little too long (by about two stages), but excellent nonetheless. Feel sorry for anyone that overlooks this thinking it's "just another 3D Castlevania"; It ain't.

^ Well said. I always thought the 3D Castlevanias get bad raps and for no other reason than being too strictly compared to the 2D Castlevania.

I've heard the official strategy guide for this game is a piece of trash and horribly inaccurate. Is this true? If so, I may just return it to Gamestop this week (bought it with the 50/60% off on guides sale going on right now.)

The first DLC for this game, Reverie, comes out this Wednesday, February 2.

Now if I could just find a deal on this game... I couldn't afford the many sales during the holidays, darn it.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ Well said. I always thought the 3D Castlevanias get bad raps and for no other reason than being too strictly compared to the 2D Castlevania.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of you. This game surprised the hell out of me and was easily one of the top 5 games I played from last year. Everything about it is epic, after I beat it and moved on I still thought about it and missed playing it. The music is very awesome as well.

To those who haven't played it, don't overlook this gem.

Okay, so I beat the game last night. Holy crap, best ending I've played in a long time! The epilogue is beyond epic. If you are a long time Castlevania fan, it'll blow your mind. It blew mine and I'm not even a huge C-vania fan. Worth every penny it'll cost you and the time you'll put in. Freaking amazing.

I loved the game, but I have such a backlog and at 800 points, I'm hesitant to jump on this. I'd love to hear some impressions from fellow CAG's.

bread's done
Back