Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow -- Info & General Discussion

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Confirmed for both PS3 and Xbox 360

From PSXExtreme.com

[quote name='PSXExtreme.com']When "the mask" appeared at Konami's Kojima Productions page before E3, everyone believed it had something to do with the master's new title. Well, it doesn't have anything to do with either Metal Gear Solid: Rising or Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker; it's actually for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow!

We had heard the name "Lords of Shadow" before, but we had no idea it was tied to the long-running Castlevania franchise. Now, it has been revealed for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, set to release some time next year. For the first screenshots and a brand new trailer, visit the link above and try your best not to unhinge your jaw; this appears to feature DMC or NG style action. Yes, the days of only two dimensions are long gone and while some purists would like to say that CV needed to stay with those two dimensions, we always have faith in Kojima Productions and Konami. We're not sure what sort of role Kojima will play in the design and production of this game, but we imagine he has his hands full with those aforementioned MGS titles. We have yet to see a really amazing 3D Castlevania installment so we're long overdue, but perhaps this is the generation that will allow the series to break through. Really, if they keep that traditional atmosphere and translate it to a 3D, God of War-like format, they really can't go wrong. And hey, we need more vampires in video games, damnit.

Anyway, now that it has been announced, we'll definitely track down as much info as we can. For now, be happy with the media at the official site; it looks very promising.[/quote]

I certainly hope this turns out better than the Castlevanaia 64 rendition. But having Patric Stewart doing some voice-work definitely has the game off to a great start!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50684.html

looks to be a gow of war esq game but thats not a bad thing because it looks amazing. been itching for a new castlevannia game on a powerful console for a while. the 2ds are fun but they all kinda feel the same over time. id like to see a game use the cellshading like okammi only darker and moodie. maybe with some anime touches. im keeping my eye out for this one thanks for the post op.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Dante's Inferno anyone?[/QUOTE]

QFT -- this genre market is starting to get really crowded...

Looks interesting, but I'll wait for the reviews and opinions. Every attempt at a 3-D castlevania has been either horrible or very boring at best.

[quote name='dragonjud']Looks interesting, but I'll wait for the reviews and opinions. Every attempt at a 3-D castlevania has been either horrible or very boring at best.[/QUOTE]

the ps2 ones were good if you can forgive the camera. and the real version of the n64 one was ok.

[quote name='Ecofreak']QFT -- this genre market is starting to get really crowded...[/QUOTE]

I'm happy about this. I'm sick of companies making bad games from scratch when there are plenty of good games they could just rip off. I was waiting for company to rip Devil May Cry for Castlevania, but God of War works even better.

Now if someone would just rip off Warrior Within's fighting system, we'd really be in business.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess we're done with the Castlevania/Metroid games and now we're moving onto the Castlevania/God of War games.

I always love Castlevania games, but I wish they'd do more to give it a more unique identity.

[quote name='Dezuria']So I guess we're done with the Castlevania/Metroid games and now we're moving onto the Castlevania/God of War games.

I always love Castlevania games, but I wish they'd do more to give it a more unique identity.[/QUOTE]

ive always wished they woud make them more realistic in a way.have your vamp hunter going from town to town trying to figure out whats bothering the people there. find clues and stuff then get what you need to find and fight the local menace. so if its a vampire you have to find out where theyre hiding and then decide whether to fight them in the day or night.

since of course day would be better then you can either pull them out in the sun or burn down their hiding place or go in and stake them all. of course if the night comes before you find them you have to fight them all which would of course be a harder challenge.

itd be hard to execute but itd be a good change to the monster game genre.itd be fun in a multiplayer coop form too because you could have 4 or 5 diff people going to the same places seeing who could fiind and kill the monster first.

[quote name='lokizz']ive always wished they woud make them more realistic in a way.have your vamp hunter going from town to town trying to figure out whats bothering the people there. find clues and stuff then get what you need to find and fight the local menace. so if its a vampire you have to find out where theyre hiding and then decide whether to fight them in the day or night.

since of course day would be better then you can either pull them out in the sun or burn down their hiding place or go in and stake them all. of course if the night comes before you find them you have to fight them all which would of course be a harder challenge.

itd be hard to execute but itd be a good change to the monster game genre.itd be fun in a multiplayer coop form too because you could have 4 or 5 diff people going to the same places seeing who could fiind and kill the monster first.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like a Claymore game.

I'm not really a Castlevania fan, but I watched this trailer and was completely blown away. Easily my favorite new game revelation at E3. Of course, it mostly has to do with the fact that I'm a GOW fan and love the 3rd person action games in that style, but the art and voice acting look to be top notch as well.

I did a trailer analysis for the E3 trailer. I'm waiting for Chacrana to come in and call me out for saying something wrong:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmpG89Jlfdo[/media]

[quote name='Dezuria']So I guess we're done with the Castlevania/Metroid games and now we're moving onto the Castlevania/God of War games.

I always love Castlevania games, but I wish they'd do more to give it a more unique identity.[/QUOTE]

I wish that Konami would make Castlevania like an action RPG, kinda like how they did in Simon's Quest. A Castlevania / Fallout / God of War type game.

The last Castlevania game I really enjoyed was Super Castlevania on the SNES.
Loved the original and #3 I believe (the first one to have 3 different playable characters).

Here's hoping this one can bring back the feeling...

[quote name='lokizz']ive always wished they woud make them more realistic in a way.have your vamp hunter going from town to town trying to figure out whats bothering the people there. find clues and stuff then get what you need to find and fight the local menace. so if its a vampire you have to find out where theyre hiding and then decide whether to fight them in the day or night.

[/QUOTE]

Simon's Quest? :p

Yeah, the trailer looked amazing but it's very dialogue heavy. I just hope it doesn't suffer from Metal Gear syndrome too much.

I wasn't quite hyped for this game until I just saw this latest trailer. Just wow, Kojima keeps on putting out games that are damn near day 1 purchases for me.

I don't understand what there is to be hyped for here. The combat hasn't shown anything to be impressed by.

People watch this video and tell me it's awesome -- running to the side and dodging a slow arm slam, swiping a couple of times and going into a quick time? How intense. Even the ogre design is just bleh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL8H0pvc0g

And the ice giant footage is basically a "lol here, climb up on my body and win".

[quote name='panzerfaust']I don't understand what there is to be hyped for here. The combat hasn't shown anything to be impressed by.

People watch this video and tell me it's awesome -- running to the side and dodging a slow arm slam, swiping a couple of times and going into a quick time? How intense. Even the ogre design is just bleh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxL8H0pvc0g

And the ice giant footage is basically a "lol here, climb up on my body and win".[/QUOTE]

thats very identical to the second part of the colossus battle in gow2. that said i like how big the character you play is.

Yea, very similar to GOW, but to me thats a good thing. At least it's very similar to a good game instead of a crappy one. Plus, I'd rather see them take some ideas from other good games rather than try something brand new and it turns out to be crap. There are only so many directions you can take a franchise like Castlevania, at least it looks to be the right direction in my opinion.

The problem for me isn't that it's clone-like, but that gameplay segments like the one posted just don't looks all that amusing. Perhaps I've played too much hack-n-slash in my time.

there is only so much you can do with a hack and slash. hitting a boss a few times and dodging its attack to hit it some more is in every single game of that type.

Yeah, I think this type of game just has to start upping the ante with graphic details, cool scenarios and better backstory type stuff. I loved GoW3 because they kept the same winning formula and just made the graphics bigger and better. If this is the same I will take it too. Those trailers made me more excited than ever. Still cant imagine paying full price though for any game anymore.

[quote name='8bitArtist']there is only so much you can do with a hack and slash. hitting a boss a few times and dodging its attack to hit it some more is in every single game of that type.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big CV fan, but even this is making me a bit weary with an increase of these type of games coming out in recent months. I'm sure its a fine game, but I'm going to wait a bit for it.

[quote name='wrencrest']Yeah, I think this type of game just has to start upping the ante with graphic details, cool scenarios and better backstory type stuff.[/QUOTE]

CV's weak point has always been a generic backstory so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

for people who follow castlevania out there, theres never really been a good 3d version of cvania. So, if this is an ok story (it has never been strong on story) and solid camera with great controls...we could have a hit on our hands. Im playin day 1 as well..or month 1 because of 20 fing games comin out, thanks recession.

[quote name='nbballard']The demo hit in EU for PS+ members. Any reviews floating around?[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00P6VMi4L64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOO7SV4iey8

Now that I've had a chance to watch these, it looks like GoWIII with Transylvanian mythology. Can't say I'm impressed with the modeling, as nothing stood out as amazing looking. The rain effects didn't look quite right close up either, but it's not really noticeable while playing. And what's with the Scottish Clydesdale lol? Just seems very out of place.

Seeing the demo has actually lowered my expectations a bit sadly, but so long as they nail the atmosphere it should be enjoyable. A little less boring narrative before a level would help as well. Rumor has it that Castlevania is getting some glowing reviews above 90%, which should start rolling out next week I'd imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Castlevania series, but I've never loved a 3D entry in the series (some were okay).

I don't get why Konami won't make one similar to GBA/DS versions but in glorious high res sprites (think Blazblue) on the PS3. THAT I'd buy day one, this...I'll think about it, but feels like a 20 dollar purchase.

The rumors were true: Castlevania is garnering reviews above 9/10 just about everywhere. Looks like we have an innovative GoW take, mixed with the difficulty of Demon's Souls. Button-mashers need not apply.[quote name='Jodou']Rumor has it that Castlevania is getting some glowing reviews above 90%, which should start rolling out next week I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]

Its' metacritic's at 90 right now. So we're basically looking at mid to high 80's for it. I'm pretty pumped for it, personally. I've been waiting for an old school style 3D Castlevania game for a long time. Good thing I pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday because today they got rid of the $20 gaming credit bonus.

The $20 credit bonus was a big incentive for me, so had to go back on my intention of waiting a bit.

[quote name='Jodou'] Looks like we have an innovative GoW take, mixed with the difficulty of Demon's Souls. [/QUOTE]

I hope Paladin difficulty is unlocked from the start, haven't had a decent challenge since NGS2.

[quote name='Supplice']The $20 credit bonus was a big incentive for me, so had to go back on my intention of waiting a bit.[/QUOTE]

That and the 99¢ release date delivery did it for me.

[quote name='KingBroly']Its' metacritic's at 90 right now. So we're basically looking at mid to high 80's for it. I'm pretty pumped for it, personally. I've been waiting for an old school style 3D Castlevania game for a long time. Good thing I pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday because today they got rid of the $20 gaming credit bonus.[/QUOTE]

Damn it. I was waiting for my trades to get there before I pre-ordered.

Guess I'm getting it from Kmart now.

[quote name='KingBroly']Downloaded and play the demo off of the EU store.

Yeah......

That's all I have to say about that.[/QUOTE]
I'm at 53%. Can't wait.

[quote name='KingBroly']Downloaded and play the demo off of the EU store.

Yeah......

That's all I have to say about that.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean you like it or not?

The demo is beautiful, and the cinema and voice acting is great- but the gameplay doesn't really present anything outside of the normal GoW style clone. Not saying that's bad- but the demo wasn't particularly exciting from that perspective.

Still Day 1.

[quote name='nbballard']The demo is beautiful, and the cinema and voice acting is great- but the gameplay doesn't really present anything outside of the normal GoW style clone. Not saying that's bad- but the demo wasn't particularly exciting from that perspective.

Still Day 1.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. This game is basically GoW with a new name. But for someone like me who loves "button mashers" it is definitely not a bad thing. I find myself becoming a graphics whore more and more since the advent of HD. From the reviews this game sounds great to me and the demo plays well enough. Also, the game is 15-20 hours on one playthrough with the need to go back through to find everything. Thats a good value. I just wish the Limited Edition had more details. I cant find any concrete pics or more info other than what GS and others have on their sites.

bread's done
Back