Castlevania Lords of Shadows PS3/360 $49.99 Free ship newegg.com

California taxes are the only thing stopping me from ordering these games from NewEgg (& GameStop).

Thanks for the info! Although, Amazon's $20 game credit on all versions is still the best option. And for those questioning LoS -- check out some of the early reviews that have been coming out in the past few days. The game has been getting 90%+ ratings! :) I smell a sleeper hit for 2010!

[quote name='AceSam14']is the $20 game credit gone from amazon? i dont see it anymore (I preordered on sep 20th)[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was waiting for reviews before I would preorder. Credit isn't showing up anymore.

Wow Amazon took it off.... I guess their new motto is "preorder early or fuck off" lol. People that want to apply new credit by reordering need to be extra careful now. I have mine locked in at Amazon so I'm good but I was considering going with Newegg, they don't charge tax here so I would be saving $15 up front.

[quote name='USB Cable']Wow Amazon took it off.... I guess their new motto is "preorder early or fuck off" lol. People that want to apply new credit by reordering need to be extra careful now. I have mine locked in at Amazon so I'm good but I was considering going with Newegg, they don't charge tax here so I would be saving $15 up front.[/QUOTE]

I knew this would happen. I advised people to get in on the CV: LOS $20 bonus fast, because once the reviews (90%+) start coming in today (due to review embargo being lifted), they will most likely take it away as the incentive would no longer be needed for sales.

...and now it's gone.

[quote name='ucantcme69']So what happens if you had the pre order when they posted the $20 credit and now they no longer offer it?[/QUOTE]

Just wait a couple days after it ships and, if you still don't get the code emailed to you, send customer support an email.

Wow, Amazon must've taken that down today because I ordered my copy this morning (around 11AM PST) and mine still qualified for the $20.

[quote name='ucantcme69']So what happens if you had the pre order when they posted the $20 credit and now they no longer offer it?[/QUOTE]

You're still good. In fact, you should have a received an email receipt of your order. At the bottom of that email it should state that your order qualified for the $20 GC. If you haven't received your $20 GC within 2 days after your order has shipped...you simply send their CS dept. an email, forwarding that email receipt as proof, if needed.

At that point they will either credit your account with the $20 GC or (even better IMO) deposit $20 back to your credit card, essentially making your purchase of the game $39.99. :)

Damn that's annoying. After reading a few reviews I was just about to go do the amazon credit deal. Guess I'll be getting it on newegg or waiting for goozex now.

[quote name='nondual']But they put a $20 credit on Halo Reach. I never understood that. Reach was a friggin' shoe-in.[/QUOTE]
Well I mean you are still spending $60 on Halo so maybe Amazon's business model makes more sense you have to use that $20 credit and make a second purchase rather than just one purchase. Games like Halo that have a $20 credit attached probably send video games revenue for the month or so they are valid for through the roof.

I recall hearing a while back Michael Pachter stating that with a $60 game the retailer makes about $12-$15 in profit so cutting $20 off of the price of two $60 games still nets amazon a profit.

Unfortunately this isn't enough incentive for me to pick up what looks like a GoW clone with the Castlevania name and gothic imagery slapped on it. In reading the reviews, both positive and negative, it is clear that the game excels in it's presentation and combo system but falls short when it comes to being a true Castlevania game, particularly with it's clunky exploration elements.

I was sitting on the fence waiting to pull the trigger on the Amazon deal but now that's gone so I'll probably wait until it drops in price by Black Friday or Christmas. I was going to use my $20 Reach credit for Castlevania, then use Castlevania's $20 credit on Fallout: New Vegas and then use that $10 credit on Vanquish. I had it all worked out.

Looks like I'll just skip Castlevania for now, I don't see it as being a huge seller this Fall and I expect some great lightning deals in only a matter of months.

[quote name='Matt Sven']Any chance of Amazon price-matching this? And if they do, what are the chances that it'll apply to pre-orders?[/QUOTE]
If by chance they do price match, it would automaticly give you the lowest price. You wouldnt need to do anything

I actually caved and ordered from Gamestop because I kind of want that shirt :p . Hmmmm, I hope ordering it online was a better garuntee than trying to snag one of the limited quantities from an in store pickup since they said they likely would only be getting small amount, website seems like a better bet.

Point is if I don't get the shirt, I will be rather pissed I didn't order from Newegg or amazon :p .

So far, all the vidoes I've seen scream God of War with semi Castlevania theme. Anyone else see it differently? If it's just a clone with God of War like gameplay, I'm defintely waiting for it to hit bargain bin as I much favor Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta type of gameplay.

Nowadays when I see a good deal, I preorder right away in case the deal gets pulled. So now I'm sitting on a Limited Edition and normal edition preorder. Going to decide which one to cancel as it gets closer to release date.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']So far, all the vidoes I've seen scream God of War with semi Castlevania theme. Anyone else see it differently? If it's just a clone with God of War like gameplay, I'm defintely waiting for it to hit bargain bin as I much favor Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta type of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

From the reviews that I have read, it seems to have a deeper combat system than God of War and is more similar to NG and Bayonetta.

That is just what I gathered from reviews though, I have not played it. The presentation and boss battles are like GoW though.

looks like a decent game, I'm just not sure if some reviewers are overrating it because they desperately want a good console Castlevania game.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']One review wondered why a game called Castlevania has no castles.[/QUOTE]

From what I remember, this wasn't intended to be a CastleVania game and then it eventually turned into a "reboot" of sorts.

Trying to remember where I read that though.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']One review wondered why a game called Castlevania has no castles.[/QUOTE]
Well, to be fair Simon's Quest had few castles as well. When they did, there weren't even bosses to fight lol.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, to be fair Simon's Quest had few castles as well. When they did, there weren't even bosses to fight lol.[/QUOTE]

Simon's Quest was epic IMO. It may be rough to go back too, but at the time it was one of my favorite games and one of the few I saw through to the end as a kid.

Hello,

Just wanted to update everyone who had the $20 pre order credit from amazon. I have heard back from their customer support and here is what they said:

p.s. I had to remove the links as im a new user :)

Hello,

I checked the description of the Castlevania offer and see we'll send your promotional certificate via e-mail once the order has been shipped.

As long as your order meets all of the terms and conditions for the offer, you'll receive your promotional certificate by October 11, 2010. If you don't receive it by then, please let us know by going to the URL below:

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Benjamin B.
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Newegg's prices have been very competitive lately... Considering that you're saving 20% and no need to buy anything later, it's a great deal for many. I would have jump on it if not for K-mart's gaming coupons. Besides, picking up games on release day from B&M stores beats delivery date release (unless you take a day off or work from home, but many of us don't have that luxury).

I really want this game regardless of how the reviews are coming out. God of War was fun and castlevania was fun who cares if they take the good out of a game and mix it with another one. May have to bite at this or see if any better deals pop up this weekend.

People bitching about how this isn't really a Castlevania game need to remember that it's not like there haven't been straight-forward, linear action games in the series before. Rondo of Blood says "hi."

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I knew this would happen. I advised people to get in on the CV: LOS $20 bonus fast, because once the reviews (90%+) start coming in today (due to review embargo being lifted), they will most likely take it away as the incentive would no longer be needed for sales.

...and now it's gone.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that theory. CoD: Black Ops famously had the $20 credit disappear, and that game's not about to be reviewed. Also, the major sites aren't exactly on-board with Castlevania just yet. Game Informer gave it a 9/10, but IGN and Gamespot both gave it a 7.5 -- 1up hasn't even bothered to post the review yet, which doesn't make me optimistic.

In short: this baby's gonna be $40 by Black Friday, no doubt.

[quote name='trq']I'm not so sure about that theory. CoD: Black Ops famously had the $20 credit disappear, and that game's not about to be reviewed. Also, the major sites aren't exactly on-board with Castlevania just yet. Game Informer gave it a 9/10, but IGN and Gamespot both gave it a 7.5 -- 1up hasn't even bothered to post the review yet, which doesn't make me optimistic.

In short: this baby's gonna be $40 by Black Friday, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

IGN's review (and Gamespot's which virtually mirrors IGN's) is a poorly written and extremely biased review. Hatfield praises the game on its own merits, yet at the same time docks points because it is not the game he expected it to be (he obviously refers to SOTN).

But he shows his blind fanboy attitude when he mentions the game is not like traditional CV games because it is too linear. He actually implies that SOTN is traditional CV design...when in fact, CV's roots were linear experiences...as Coffee Edge mentioned. Ironically, while blasting the game constantly for borrowing too much from other games, he fails to realize that his beloved SOTN was also a blatant ripoff of Metroid in it's design.

The whole review was just biased, poorly written, and lacking any kind of objective and professional journalistic integrity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the demo this afternoon ... gotta be honest, not really impressed. I had high hopes for this but it just seems too derivative. I felt like I was watching the opening of Diablo II, when suddenly one of those wolf things from Fable showed up ... and then the horse from Darksiders showed up, except it was blue ...

I know I'm not being fair, but from everything I've seen ... it just doesn't feel like Castlevania to me. Now with that said, this is by far the best Castlevania has ever looked in 3D and it appears to be a solid game. It's not a bad game, just doesn't call out to me the way I thought it would ... I found myself bored and actually didn't enjoy Patrick Stewart's narration nearly as much as I thought I would.

I really really wish that Castlevania could bring back the Simon's Quest feel and make the game into an action RPG with open world exploration, rather than a God of War clone. I know it's unlikely ... but that would be one hell of a game ... and maybe it would have a castle or two as well, and some classic villains too (most of the bosses I've seen for this game either looking uninspired or like they belong in a different game ... lord of the rings or shadow of the colossus or something).

But yeah ... the demo left me kinda cold ... just my 2 cents

[quote name='Jodou']Well, to be fair Simon's Quest had few castles as well. When they did, there weren't even bosses to fight lol.[/QUOTE]

But that was awesome.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']The whole review was just biased, poorly written, and lacking any kind of objective and professional journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]
No offense, but what would they have to say to convince you this game sucks, if it does?

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']IGN's review (and Gamespot's which virtually mirrors IGN's) is a poorly written and extremely biased review. Hatfield praises the game on its own merits, yet at the same time docks points because it is not the game he expected it to be (he obviously refers to SOTN).

But he shows his blind fanboy attitude when he mentions the game is not like traditional CV games because it is too linear. He actually implies that SOTN is traditional CV design...when in fact, CV's roots were linear experiences...as Coffee Edge mentioned. Ironically, while blasting the game constantly for borrowing too much from other games, he fails to realize that his beloved SOTN was also a blatant ripoff of Metroid in it's design.

The whole review was just biased, poorly written, and lacking any kind of objective and professional journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]

I like dis ninja Smiles mane, he my ninja lol... his posts be makin' me laugh n shit. got a ninja laughin' in this bitch hahaaa

Konami should have just retcon-ed parts of the canon instead of giving it a complete changeover. I saw various parts of some of the previews and thought it would have been awesome if they added a homage to the previous series (i.e. if Gabriel unleashed the Vampire Killer, or referenced a previous Belmont or foreshadowed a Belmont, or if you there was a hint that Dracula was formerly Mathias Cronqvist). But considering all of that's missing, I can see how this game is going to be a potential disaster.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']IGN's review (and Gamespot's which virtually mirrors IGN's) is a poorly written and extremely biased review. Hatfield praises the game on its own merits, yet at the same time docks points because it is not the game he expected it to be (he obviously refers to SOTN).
[...]
Ironically, while blasting the game constantly for borrowing too much from other games, he fails to realize that his beloved SOTN was also a blatant ripoff of Metroid in it's design.
The whole review was just biased, poorly written, and lacking any kind of objective and professional journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]
The IGN review was infuriating. Indeed, he praises the game itself, and docks points because it's not like SOTN and the DS games. He betrays a limited knowledge of the series by ignoring the fact that Castlevania has history in more than a single type of design. Seriously, has nobody played the original, or IV, or fucking Rondo of Blood? As much as I love SOTN and the DS games, I hate the idiots who are only familiar with that branch of the franchise. The DS games are, frankly, highly overrated.

I can't believe how people totally loved and readily accepted something as ridiculous and far-fetched as Castlevania in the future (twice, no less), but are suddenly all apprehensive and put-off simply because this one has more in common with Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood, than SOTN and Order of Ecclesia.

[quote name='sadboy']No offense, but what would they have to say to convince you this game sucks, if it does?[/QUOTE]
Anyone who can be convinced that a game "sucks" by a 7.5 score from IGN is a fucking dumbass.
[quote name='sadboy']I saw various parts of some of the previews and thought it would have been awesome if they added a homage to the previous series[/quote]
Right. Can't be a good game without shamelessly pandering to the fanboys with stupid fanservice.
(i.e. if Gabriel unleashed the Vampire Killer,
We already know the origins of the Vampire Killer. Lament of Innocence, which takes place 50 years after Lords of Shadow, showed the transformation of the Whip of Alchemy into the Vampire Killer. The Whip of Alchemy was created by Rinaldo Gandolfi at some point before LoI, but certainly not 50 years before. It didn't exist yet.

So, I don't know what this "unleashing" business you're talking about is. I guess you didn't play LoI. But that's okay. Most people didn't. They were too busy with the anime silliness on DS.
or referenced a previous Belmont or foreshadowed a Belmont,
His very existence foreshadows the existence of other Belmonts. What more do you want?
But considering all of that's missing, I can see how this game is going to be a potential disaster.
Oh, so, you've played the whole game, then?
[quote name='trq']Also, the major sites aren't exactly on-board with Castlevania just yet. Game Informer gave it a 9/10, but IGN and Gamespot both gave it a 7.5 -- 1up hasn't even bothered to post the review yet, which doesn't make me optimistic.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='eastx']And the reviews, while not amazing, are all fairly positive:[/QUOTE]
Aside from the utterly worthless IGN and Gamespot, it's getting great scores all over the place, so far

Are you really going to bat for a game that has an initial setup that is 90% the same as Dante's Inferno. I'm not saying the final product won't be better than DI, but let's face it, I kind of cringed when they set up the story in the demo by showing that the main character is driven by his love for his dead wife and his need to resurrect her.

The worst part was that the wife in DI was actually way more attractive and the character model for the woman in this game was a bit fugly. This game just doesn't do enough to define itself to merit a day one purchase for me. I'll be renting it because I'm curious, but I don't think that IGN and Gamespot are completely off base in what their reviews have said.

Same here, I put it in queue for gamefly. Still, if it's good, I don't mind buying it later.

bread's done
Back