Castlevania SotN - still worth playing?

tehweezner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
i've never played SotN, possibly going to trade my LoZ:Collector's Edition for it. thing is i'm not a fan of side scrollers, i've played a few mario games, megaman, and a few others... just not my thing. they're too hard for me with emphasis on timing jumps and similar skills that i never had the patience to master.

i know SotN is a little different w/rpg elements, but it's still pretty much a side scroller with jumping and other standard fare right? is it still a good game even today?

thanks for any insights

It's 2D but it's not a side scroller, at least not in the traditional sense. One of the best games ever. You'd be doing yourself a treat by picking this up. Truly an amazing game and you won't find many people to say otherwise.

This is a question?

You need to change the question mark to an exclamation mark, or at least a period. Or two exclamation marks. You could try two periods, but that would just be silly.

Yeah, play it. It's one of my favorite games. If you can't track down a copy on the ps1 or the Dracula X Chronicles on ps1, just get it for $10 on xbox live. This is the only game that I have triple dipped on.

meh.. i didn't like it so much.. i've put forth an effort to play castlevania games and i just don't like it so.. if you like castlevania you'll love it.. if you are on the fence about castlevania.. i'd say try a demo of it.

[quote name='tehweezner']i've never played SotN, possibly going to trade my LoZ:Collector's Edition for it. [/quote]

If you've got a Xbox 360, get the one on Live. It's not worth trading something valuable like LOZ: CE for something that you might not like.

I still think SotN is the pinnacle of 2D gaming... no game has come close since. And the fact that it still stands the test of time shows how great it is.

[quote name='tehweezner']i've never played SotN, possibly going to trade my LoZ:Collector's Edition for it. thing is i'm not a fan of side scrollers, i've played a few mario games, megaman, and a few others... just not my thing. they're too hard for me with emphasis on timing jumps and similar skills that i never had the patience to master.

i know SotN is a little different w/rpg elements, but it's still pretty much a side scroller with jumping and other standard fare right? is it still a good game even today?

thanks for any insights[/quote]

-DO NOT TRADE IN YOUR LoZ: CE Disc!!!! Either keep it and play it OR offer it to someone here on CAG.

-DO NOT GIVE UP ON SOTN. The gameplay is just great and still stands out over 10 years later.

Its one of my all time favorites.. I would definitely go for the PS1 or PSN version though because the xbox 360 dpad is a horrible POS... just didnt feel right for me.

[quote name='Blackshear']Its one of my all time favorites.. I would definitely go for the PS1 or PSN version though because the xbox 360 dpad is a horrible POS... just didnt feel right for me.[/quote]
There's also the enhanced PSP version, but the classic voice acting is missing on that one.

You know, after giving the 360 version a second chance last night after about a year the controls dont seem near as bad as I remember.. had alot of fun playing it for about 3 hrs straight, I'm off work today so I'll prob do the same again :D

This game is timeless.

I have a PS1 (non GH) version I still haven't touched yet. I keep meaning to do it, but I usually wind up playing something else instead (SSBB being the latest to take the spot). I watched my old roommate beat it though, and from what I saw it looked awesome.

After a point the game is really easy, especially after finding the Crissagrim. But up until level 20 or so, it's kind of a bitch. Antic, you need to slap that Wii off of the TV and play Castlevania. There is no excuse.

Truth! Once I got the Medusa shield, everything else was a cinch. I think I passed the last boss within seconds LOL! All I did was jump into him, touch him with the shield and let it work it's destructive magic. My brother was annoyed because he wasn't lucky enough to get the shield during his playthrough and took a few tries to beat the last boss hehe.

Edit: Found a video on youtube to show exactly how I beat the last boss.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJGss2XuR0[/MEDIA]

Check out the 2:45 mark for a good example.

However epic the Shield Rod may be, I like the Crissagrim 1000x more. Turns the game into a ridiculous hack n' slash. Just lay on the attack key, and beat anything in 2 seconds. Plus, you can keep walking so it's a death machine.

bread's done
Back