Catherine (PS3 & X360) 29.99 @ Best Buy 2 Day sale

i love doublesided covers like child of eden, duke nukem forever, borderlands, etc etc. i try to always use the other side unless it's just a background or something.

i picked this up at gamefly for $15 last month and perfect condition. woot

Thanks for the deal OP.

Just a quick question: how do you discern if you have the "alternate" box art or the "normal" box art?

Is the NA box art (the one of the close ups of Katherine/Catherine's face) the "alternate"? Everywhere I've seen it, its just been the close-up box art.

Also, for the sake of collecting, is it worth buying an x360 or a ps3 version? I plan on buying a ps3 version of the game to play because, well..its Atlus.

This site drives me crazy, I've been waiting for this game to drop then all this talk about it going OOP so I order the $51 dollar version from Amazon after I saw they had less then 80 in stock. I really wish I didnt care about things like cases. This site ends up costing me more then it saves me.

[quote name='astr0boy']Thanks for the deal OP.

Just a quick question: how do you discern if you have the "alternate" box art or the "normal" box art?

Is the NA box art (the one of the close ups of Katherine/Catherine's face) the "alternate"? Everywhere I've seen it, its just been the close-up box art.

Also, for the sake of collecting, is it worth buying an x360 or a ps3 version? I plan on buying a ps3 version of the game to play because, well..its Atlus.[/QUOTE]

That's correct, astr0boy. The close up shots are the alternate artwork covers. For the sake of collecting, def. go with PS3 :D

Great deal for a really enjoyable game. Loved every minute of it.

[quote name='junkie88']This site drives me crazy, I've been waiting for this game to drop then all this talk about it going OOP so I order the $51 dollar version from Amazon after I saw they had less then 80 in stock. I really wish I didnt care about things like cases. This site ends up costing me more then it saves me.[/QUOTE]

ha ha that's so true. People here think every first price drop they see they have to get it or it will be gone. Just like pre-ordering 99% of the time you don't need to pre-order to get a copy.

I tried telling people in my catherine love is over deluxe edition thread that this game would go out of print. That's when it was at its 2nd lowest price ever of $59.99 for about 72 hours. Other then that it was $45 which only a few dozen members got in on that price for the few hours the deal was live.

The Amazon standard listing does list the PS3 and 360 standard versions as discontinued by manufacturer.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You could try Gamefly if you're a member there. It's $14.99 to keep and just recently GF had a sale which included free shipping for non members at that price. Unfortunately it sold out there just as quickly as it has at BB.

As for people saying 'oh it's an Atlus game'. Yeah it is. But I sincerely doubt you'll see it get 'zomg rarez' like some other Atlus released stuff. So if that's the only reason you're buying it, save your money since I have a feeling they way overprinted this game.[/QUOTE]

I agree I bought this game just for the heck of it and I really don't know why I waited as long as I did really good game IMO

[quote name='AltezzaSXE10']That's correct, astr0boy. The close up shots are the alternate artwork covers. For the sake of collecting, def. go with PS3 :D

Great deal for a really enjoyable game. Loved every minute of it.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Thank you so much for clearing that up. So Amazon offering "normal" box art for ps3 would be the one of Catherine undressing? Is this box art really that much harder to find? How come so many people are getting worked up over the box art? (i.e. Great deal but wont buy game because of the box art)

Altezza, for collection purposes, do you have an opinion as to which box art is more "rare"?

Assuming this game sold relatively well, why would Atlas let it go out of production and not have a reprint? The game has been available for less than a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bruceg']Assuming this game sold relatively well, why would Atlas let it go out of production and not have a reprint? The game has been available for less than a year.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit at a loss over people buying this game thinking it may never come back. It will. In today's world, we have companies like GQD that will acquire rights for a reprint. Many games that people thought they'd never see again last generation (Ar Tonelico, Fatal Frame, Digital Devil Saga, Tales of the Abyss, Mega Man X Collection etc.) all came back and in ample supply.

While I love Atlus and want to support them, I'm perfectly fine waiting on these games. I figure that after the hoopla ends with PS3, XBX360 and the console prices come down, lesser known gems like Catherine and Ar Tonelico 3 will get a nice reprint. Heck, we're already seeing it with games like Tales of Vesperia.

Yeah the vanilla version will most likely get reprinted. Only the Love is over deluxe edition has a chance of becoming rare and valuable.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I'm a bit at a loss over people buying this game thinking it may never come back. It will. In today's world, we have companies like GQD that will acquire rights for a reprint. Many games that people thought they'd never see again last generation (Ar Tonelico, Fatal Frame, Digital Devil Saga, Tales of the Abyss, Mega Man X Collection etc.) all came back and in ample supply.

While I love Atlus and want to support them, I'm perfectly fine waiting on these games. I figure that after the hoopla ends with PS3, XBX360 and the console prices come down, lesser known gems like Catherine and Ar Tonelico 3 will get a nice reprint. Heck, we're already seeing it with games like Tales of Vesperia.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the chances of Catherine not receiving a reprint are probably very low. This is Atlus we're talking about.. they've reprinted games that have sold less and were less popular.

[quote name='sunghost']I agree, the chances of Catherine not receiving a reprint are probably very low. This is Atlus we're talking about.. they've reprinted games that have sold less and were less popular.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. In any case, I have a month to decide to keep the one I picked up tonight.

[quote name='needler420']Yeah the vanilla version will most likely get reprinted. Only the Love is over deluxe edition has a chance of becoming rare and valuable.[/QUOTE]
Good luck with that. Amazon had 999 copies in stock for both systems of the Love Is Over edition for a while. I think it only just recently sold out on there.

[quote name='bruceg']Assuming this game sold relatively well, why would Atlas let it go out of production and not have a reprint? The game has been available for less than a year.[/QUOTE]
Why would you assume it sold relatively well? Catherine sold 78k the first month it came out and then probably fell off a cliff.

[quote name='exaznkid']i only know of one game, which is Bulletwitch[/QUOTE]
Never knew Bulletwitch had an alternate cover art on the reverse side.

[quote name='mitch079']Command & Conquer 3 Red Alert had a brunette on one side and a blonde on the other if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]
I remember that when I was at Gamestop looking to see if a copy was complete and then seeing another case with the reversed cover art. Seems the PS3 and 360 versions were more like Catherine with differing cover art/poses.

[quote name='Zeus_Thunder']ME3 PS3 also ![/QUOTE]
Never knew this about Mass Effect 3

[quote name='Velo214']i love doublesided covers like child of eden, duke nukem forever, borderlands, etc etc. i try to always use the other side unless it's just a background or something.[/QUOTE]
Didn't know about those three games. I have 360 Borderlands and PS3 Child of Eden in my backlog.

Going to google image just to see all of these alternate cover arts look like. Are there any other games with alternate cover arts?

I know that Uncharted had one from a youtube video I watched. I heard many first party PS3 games have them as well.

[quote name='Stele']Why would you assume it sold relatively well? Catherine sold 78k the first month it came out and then probably fell off a cliff.[/QUOTE]

Actually 83k in the first week for the PS3 according to vgcharts. Fell off considerably after that. PS3 sold 170,151 copies in 2011, 360 sold 91,573 copies in 2011. Atlus trumpeted shipping 200k units in the first week setting a new company record. They did not reach that mark combined after 10 weeks in terms of sales so they might not have shipped or produced that many more copies afterwards because, had they been stuck with a glut of copies, they probably would have flooded the market by now and the game would be $19 at Big Lots.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/46840/catherine/

It's also available via PSN for $40 so that's another deterrent in having this game reprinted.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Never knew Bulletwitch had an alternate cover art on the reverse side.

I remember that when I was at Gamestop looking to see if a copy was complete and then seeing another case with the reversed cover art. Seems the PS3 and 360 versions were more like Catherine with differing cover art/poses.

Didn't know about those three games. I have 360 Borderlands and PS3 Child of Eden in my backlog.

Going to google image just to see all of these alternate cover arts look like. Are there any other games with alternate cover arts?

I know that Uncharted had one from a youtube video I watched. I heard many first party PS3 games have them as well.[/QUOTE]

Okami for the Wii comes to mind. Capcom had an IGN watermark on the one they released with the game and offered downloadable replacements.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, at least the PS3 version does. Nowadays you're lucky if you get an instruction manual, let alone two pieces of cover art. :cry:

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Never knew Bulletwitch had an alternate cover art on the reverse side.

I know that Uncharted had one from a youtube video I watched. I heard many first party PS3 games have them as well.[/QUOTE]

It's funny that you mentioned the different box art. I read this article on IGN. Take a look. I remember Killzone 3 having three different cases based solely on region though.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Going to google image just to see all of these alternate cover arts look like. Are there any other games with alternate cover arts?

I know that Uncharted had one from a youtube video I watched. I heard many first party PS3 games have them as well.[/QUOTE]Resistance 3 did

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
Going to google image just to see all of these alternate cover arts look like. Are there any other games with alternate cover arts? [/QUOTE]
The Ratchet & Clank All 4 One game has a reversible cover. The alternate side is kind of funny.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Sweet, did in store pickup. Not the magic $20 price I was waiting for, but if it's going to be hard to find down the line, might as well pick it up. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']Ok, with everyone saying this is going out of print (and online it reflecting that opinion), I went ahead and bit the bullet and put an order in. Fortunately, it is still in stock at the Best Buy near my work.[/QUOTE]

Ditto the above for me. There may be a reprint, but I'm not going to risk it at the moment when I still have a Christmas Best Buy gift card. This morning I was able to get in-store pickup, but there was only two BB in the KC area showing as available.

[quote name='strait edge follower']I brought my copy way back in December if last year for 20$ using that bestbuy coupon and I still haven't opened it yet lol. Are the puzzles really hard ?[/QUOTE]
They're not really had as long as you take your time and 'talk' to all of the other sheep between levels during the puzzle portion of the game. You'll get tons of hints on ways to make the puzzles easier to deal with.

[quote name='astr0boy']Ah. Thank you so much for clearing that up. So Amazon offering "normal" box art for ps3 would be the one of Catherine undressing? Is this box art really that much harder to find? How come so many people are getting worked up over the box art? (i.e. Great deal but wont buy game because of the box art)

Altezza, for collection purposes, do you have an opinion as to which box art is more "rare"?[/QUOTE]

Exactly Sir- the normal PS3 box art portrays Catherine undressing :applause: It's really difficult to say which art cover is more rare. I personally prefer the standard cover since its more aesthetically pleasing :lol: Hope you end up getting the game and enjoying it!

picked this up at bestbuy today. Im going to go buy a copy at target with normal cover art, then return the best buy cover art to them. Why? Because a soon to be naked chick is better than a non-naked chick for my cover arts :)

[quote name='reicaden']picked this up at bestbuy today. Im going to go buy a copy at target with normal cover art, then return the best buy cover art to them. Why? Because a soon to be naked chick is better than a non-naked chick for my cover arts :)[/QUOTE]

Watch out. The SKU numbers are different... If BB doesn't have the sku for the normal cover, they won't be able to do the return as it won't show in the system.

[quote name='astr0boy']Watch out. The SKU numbers are different... If BB doesn't have the sku for the normal cover, they won't be able to do the return as it won't show in the system.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my instant reaction was that the SKUs might not be the same, which means it wouldn't work.

[quote name='mdmusick']I managed to price match this at Fry's, getting not only the original cover art but the first-run preorder version with the additional art book and soundtrack CD. They had a couple of those bundled versions behind the standalone versions - specifically, the Fry's in Plano, TX had one more preorder version left after mine. Might be worth the time to invest in checking this out if you're a collector and have a Fry's in proximity.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. All the copies at my local Fry's had the original cover. Unfortunately, no copies with the soundtrack and art book.

[quote name='astr0boy']Watch out. The SKU numbers are different... If BB doesn't have the sku for the normal cover, they won't be able to do the return as it won't show in the system.[/QUOTE]

Oh I didnt think it would be different SKUs.... well now, there goes that. Maybe a price match? Is this advertised anywhere that i could take a copy to the walmart or target?

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I would like to PM at Fry's, but it being sold out online and not available at any local BB's would likely prevent that.[/QUOTE]

Fry's will match online prices... your biggest problem now is that the deal is dead... :D

I decided to pass, I could have picked one up but it was farther than I wanted to drive especially with these gas prices. Hopefully the reprint camp is right on this one, as I too have been burned picking up games that I thought would disappear before they reached their lowest price. Plus my Wally World still has a few copies, so I'll keep my eye on those.

I was sure this game's regular edition would be $19.99 or cheaper by now. I guess I did good by picking up the "Love is Over" deluxe edition for the same price last holiday season.

But are the UPC numbers the same? If they are, it shouldn't be a problem. Cause the SKU is just for stock/inventory purposes and varies by store. As long as the UPC is the same, there shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='JP73']But are the UPC numbers the same? If they are, it shouldn't be a problem. Cause the SKU is just for stock/inventory purposes and varies by store. As long as the UPC is the same, there shouldn't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

Alternate - 730865001392
Regular (according to Fry's online) - 730865001385

[quote name='roymustang']I was sure this game's regular edition would be $19.99 or cheaper by now. I guess I did good by picking up the "Love is Over" deluxe edition for the same price last holiday season.[/QUOTE]

I wish the PS3 copy was the same price during that sale. I would've picked it up. I'm hoping Gamefly has it on sale for $9.99. I heard people received the uncensored box art from Gamefly.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I wish the PS3 copy was the same price during that sale. I would've picked it up. I'm hoping Gamefly has it on sale for $9.99. I heard people received the uncensored box art from Gamefly.[/QUOTE]

uncensored? wait, like uncensored? or you mean, the one where shes taking off her dress just a bit?

bread's done
Back