"Catostrophic Failure?"

Sk8erlink7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Well, today I was trying to install Star Wars: Empire at War on my PC, and while installing, I get an error that says "Catostrophic Failure." Does anybody have any idea what this means and how I can fix it?

[quote name='Sk8erlink7']Well, today I was trying to install Star Wars: Empire at War on my PC, and while installing, I get an error that says "Catostrophic Failure." Does anybody have any idea what this means and how I can fix it?[/QUOTE]

Describing itself?

I've heard of the problem before. It's not a problem with your cd, but probably your cd drive. Do you have a second drive you could use? Or a second pc to test it on? If not, try using this fix I found off another message board, http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=232348

This one is simple - Your CD/DVD drive isn't quite up to par I would imagine. The graphics card has nothing to do with the install itself as well.

Memory *could* be an issue here (a stick starting to go bad) - but as recently as last week, my GF's brother couldn't use a certain CD that worked in every other drive I tried it in. It seemed to happen on big files, altho he could pull down the smaller ones just fine.

Troubleshooting Steps:
- Find someone else with a PC and see if it installs on their system. If it does, you've narrowed it down to your PC specifically. (And if it doesn't, then you have a bad disk... unlikely though.

- If the disk is good, or there isn't a 2nd PC handy...
- Right click my computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
- Think really hard as to which IDE chain your CD-ROM is on (primary or secondary)
- If you're not sure, you should be able to tell by...
- Expand IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers
- Right click "Primary IDE Channel" > Properties
- Click the Advanced Settings Tab
- If you have 1 hard drive and 1 CD rom, theres a chance that both will appear here, although the only way you'll be able to tell a difference, is that your hard drive should be running Ultra DMA Mode 4-5, and your CD/DVD drive should be running lower, around 2-3.
- If there are 2 devices here, and you only have 1 hard drive, find the one that is running the lowest DMA mode, and change the drop-down to PIO Only.
- If there was only 1 device, or you know that your CD/DVD drive isnt on this chain, then close this window, and right-click on "Secondary IDE ATA/Blahblahblh" and see if you have a 'lower' UDMA device that you can switch to PIO Only mode.
- Once you do this, im not sure if a reboot is required (you don't get a pop-up saying such) but i'd give er' a reboot anyhow and see if the install goes.
- If this works, great. Simply flip it back to "DMA if available" after the install.

- If it doesn't work...

- Try imaging the disk with nero or alcohol, then mounting it with a virtual drive ( www.daemon-tools.cc ), and see if the install goes ok that way.

- Sacrifice a chicken at sun-up and sun-set... It won't really help the install go better, but at least you'll feel closer to the gods...

- Zhoul

[quote name='Sendell']- Zhoul[/quote] :lol:

Thanks a lot for the help. I tried using my E: drive (which is brand new), and not only did it work, but the install was about four-times faster.

maybe its the disc itself....... i've seen some errors similar to that and I just return it and get a new one..

bread's done
Back