CC Sale Starts today....What did you find???

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='JSweeney']I'm really curious what people actually expected. I mean really, it's not at all wise to expect that you're going to be getting the cream of the crop games... it's a clearence sale for goodness sake.
All the whining is getting really annoying.[/quote]

And you told me it was annoying to hear people bitch about the whiners!!!

I agree with you though.

I think of it as this. Each CC probably only had %20 of the games that were $5. Maybe 2-5 copies of each game they had, so probably 200-300 max for each store. Of those, maybe 75 were good titles.

Dadeland Fl has little to nothing, a few sports games and 1 tekken 3, but on a side note i did find out where the games went. A group pf Gamestop employees in conjunction with CC employees cleaned out the store prior to the sale last week buying 46+ games a visit. and then trading them in all in back into the gamestop. I saw this 1st hand when i went to Gamestop after my CC visit.

[quote name='BigNick']Did anyone check the shelves?[/quote]

I got War of the Monsters (PS2) and Dragon Warrior 7 (PSX) off of the shelves. There were a bunch of other lower profile $5 games on the shelves as well.

I live in Central Florida, Bradenton, south of Tampa, I went to our store and they had like 5 copies of Exhibition for the Xbox, and that was it. Good thing I hit the store up when I heard about this last Saturday.

[quote name='"BigNick"'][quote name='JSweeney']I'm really curious what people actually expected. I mean really, it's not at all wise to expect that you're going to be getting the cream of the crop games... it's a clearence sale for goodness sake.

Apparently I finally hit the threshold of whining and gripping that I finally agreed with you. I guess I just have a higher threshold, but when that gives out, there isn't much you can do.

I agree with you though.

You know, I wish it didn't come to this, but people have been bitching all week, and uber-bitching this morning. I just can't take it anymore. If you can't live with the simple facts of how clearences work, don't bother trying to be a cheapass.. you don't have the disposition for it.

I think of it as this. Each CC probably only had %20 of the games that were $5. Maybe 2-5 copies of each game they had, so probably 200-300 max for each store. Of those, maybe 75 were good titles.

Sounds logical. Now add in that store employees and early adopters raided the stores for half of that on saturday last week, and you have the situation that exists now.

Chicago, IL suburbs are wiped out. No recent restocking of any titles whatsoever.

Schaumburg = wiped
Mount Prospect (Randhurst Mall) = wiped
Hawthorne/Libertyville = wiped
Deer Park/Killdeer = wiped
Spring Hill = LOTS of old sports titles, but otherwise wiped.
Crystal Lake = wiped

I did manage to find Splinter cell GC and Sega GT 2002 at the Randhurst CC, but that is the extent of it.

Almost all of the CCs around me set up the white 4.99 boxes earlier in the week, and they are now all basically empty.

The thing that struck me funny were the new plastic placards holding a corporate memo which basicaly read: "Dear CC Customers: Please note the $4.99 clearance sale is limited to titles IN STOCK and on hand. No Rainchecks. Please accept our apologies and sorry for the confusion -- as a Circuit City customer, we value your business." (not verbatim)

I read this memo as saying: "We're sorry that the prices went into effect one week early, but there's nothing we can do about our current shaq-fu selection." They probably had to act fast to type/print/mail these out in order for the CCs in my area to effectively cover their respective butts.

I did see a number of people walking around with the multi-page internet master list, with scowls on their faces.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']what i don't understand is why they're not dropping the prices on the oldest games like DOA 2: Hardcore. and then the poorest selling games like Unlimited Saga are still $15 or $20. besides these, i wanted Goblin Commander, which is still high in price.[/quote]

Yeah, not all of the clearance games were at the $5 price. Primal is still $27.99, PSO Episodes 1 & 2 (XB) is still $13.99, that Mickey Mouse Capcom GC game is still $19.96, and Hunter the Reckoning Wayward is still $13.99 or $9.99. These games I would've thought for sure would be $5.

[quote name='JSweeney']No kidding... all three of them.
(Roseville, Sterling Heights and Harper Woods)[/quote]

What was at the Roseville and SH locations???

I almost went to the Troy one but decided not to.

[quote name='WhoDey'][quote name='Querjek'][quote name='WhoDey'] Did you get any GC or GBA games today? And was there a line to get in?[/quote]
There was a line, but it was short and I got there as they were letting people in. I didn't get any GCN games as they were all crap, but I did pick up the only copy of F-Zero for the GBA. Oh, did you get the copy of Skies of Arcadia that had been there? I luckily already have a copy, but I was going to pick it up for a buddy if they still had it.[/quote]

No, didn't see anything near that quality for the GC. Luckily, I already have it too. Of course they had it last week when I was there so I could have gotten it then.

I'm happy because I got everything I wanted last week as far as what they had. I was hoping they might have gotten some new games sometime during the week for the sale but it's obvious they didn't.

Next time they do this we'll have to look out for each other as I probably could have scored you some games (like VJ) had I known what you were looking for.[/quote]
Yeah, man, that'd be good--I live a few towns away in Ohio so it was a hour drive for me this morning, so I can't check CC too often. It's funny, actually, as I was there at the same time as you.

[quote name='"JSweeney"'][quote name='BigNick'][quote name='JSweeney']I'm really curious what people actually expected. I mean really, it's not at all wise to expect that you're going to be getting the cream of the crop games... it's a clearence sale for goodness sake.

Apparently I finally hit the threshold of whining and gripping that I finally agreed with you. I guess I just have a higher threshold, but when that gives out, there isn't much you can do.

I agree with you though.

You know, I wish it didn't come to this, but people have been bitching all week, and uber-bitching this morning. I just can't take it anymore. If you can't live with the simple facts of how clearences work, don't bother trying to be a cheapass.. you don't have the disposition for it.

Sounds logical. Now add in that store employees and early adopters raided the stores for half of that on saturday last week, and you have the situation that exists now.[/quote]

OMG OMG OMG JSweeney quoted me in bold!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG

ya, if people really wanted the best selection, they should have gone Saturday.

[quote name='MixMasta'][quote name='JSweeney']No kidding... all three of them.
(Roseville, Sterling Heights and Harper Woods)[/quote]

What was at the Roseville and SH locations???

I almost went to the Troy one but decided not to.[/quote]

I didn't even bother to go.. I already got around 20 games, so I'm happy with what I got. Running out this morning likely wouldn't have turned up anything. I think I'll just end up going to gamerush this afternoon.

Is GameRush good for buying used games cheap?? I've never been there. Also, howabout GameCrazy, I just found out there's one next to where my mom works.

[quote name='KingNES']Dadeland Fl has little to nothing, a few sports games and 1 tekken 3, but on a side note i did find out where the games went. A group pf Gamestop employees in conjunction with CC employees cleaned out the store prior to the sale last week buying 46+ games a visit. and then trading them in all in back into the gamestop. I saw this 1st hand when i went to Gamestop after my CC visit.[/quote]I saw this yesterday @ the Joliet, IL gamestop. THey were opening tons of games that were all too familiar, and sure enough I saw TONS of CC stickers... don't know if the employees bought them or people just traded them in. But there had to be 75 games they were going through!

[quote name='unctennis122']nothing except for a few ps2 games at the CC in durham, NC. I just picked up a copy of defender that was still on the shelf and mortal kombat for the gba was in the bin.[/quote]
Did you happen to hit the cary or raleigh stores today? I just don't feel like driving to find out for a 0.01% chance of them having anything. :wink:

The bargain bins at the West Nyack, NY store were completely full, but there was nothing good in there (except Herdy Gerdy, which my friend got). I also noticed a lot of games were jacked back up from $5 (The Sims, Mortal Kombat, Morrowind, NBA 2K3 all come to mind). I was able to find Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, and my friends got Herdy Gerdy, Aggressive Inline, and MX Superfly. There were also 20+ copies of American Idol on GBA if anybody wants some.

[quote name='MixMasta']Is GameRush good for buying used games cheap?? I've never been there. Also, howabout GameCrazy, I just found out there's one next to where my mom works.[/quote]

Go read one of Shakespears threads.. Gamerushes are great for getting for getting games that were new releases a month or so ago. EB and such will still be selling them for 34.99+, but with the deals they have at Gamerush you can usually get them for about 20 each or less.

Gamecrazy is ok, but it's hit or miss. They'll sometimes be overpriced or underpriced (got suikoden 2 for 24.99), and they flat out suck at getting in new releases.

What a waste of time. My CC had the same half-empty bins of garbage they've had the past 4 days. Meh.

Did pick up Project Gotham 2 since the price came down a bit though, so it wasn't a complete waste.

went on my lunch break as well, found out from talking to people what seems to be about 30-50 resellers had came and looted my local CC. nothing for me.

Went at opening to my CC and absolutley nothing! A few older sports games for the XB and PS2 (less than 10) and some PS1 games was all they had. Needless to say, a wasted trip.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='xxdeadp0olxx']Absolutely nothing at the Burlington, MA store. Not even a bin[/quote]

I just came from the Burlington MA store myself, snagged a copy of Silent Scope 3 for $4.99, but yeah, there was nothing of value there. There WAS a bin, however, it was by the dvd's and phone accessories, in between the video game area and the big screen tv area. However, there was nothing there but 10 copies of Oni, Turok, Pryzm, and some sports games. I was there Thursday also and got 2 games but nothing great...[/quote]

Well, I guess I didn't look hard enough for the bin. I was just looking in the main game section and didn't notice one. Plus didn't expect to get anything so I wasn't really looking too too hard.

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='xxdeadp0olxx']Absolutely nothing at the Burlington, MA store. Not even a bin[/quote]

I just came from the Burlington MA store myself, snagged a copy of Silent Scope 3 for $4.99, but yeah, there was nothing of value there. There WAS a bin, however, it was by the dvd's and phone accessories, in between the video game area and the big screen tv area. However, there was nothing there but 10 copies of Oni, Turok, Pryzm, and some sports games. I was there Thursday also and got 2 games but nothing great...[/quote]

I was there this afternoon, and was able to talk them into selling me the cardboard bin for $4.99. Yeah, it was completely empty and falling apart, but I was determined not to walk away empty-handed! This baby's gonna score me a boatload on Ebay!

as for games not ringing up right the cashier should take care of that for you.......as in removing the value sticker on the back and scanning the "true" upc the game itself, another bit of training my fellow employees dont get!

I hope some resellers come into my CC and buy the 20 copies of Oni... Starting to feel bad for them, you know? Kinda like the fat kid that gets picked last in kickball.

I was there this afternoon, and was able to talk them into selling me the cardboard bin for $4.99.

Hey, it says $4.99 right on there, doesn't it? Must be what it costs... Surprised they didn't make you buy an Oni with it. Geez theres a lot of those there.

Just got back from a few errands, including hitting up the Arlington, TX CC. Not a damn thing. Here's to hoping they'll restock some of the stuff online.

I went to the one in livingston NJ
there was a bunch of people hovering around the 4.99 bin ,which had 3 games in it. They stood there like zombies as if the games would magically appear.

While they stood there I checked the shelves and found these:

Drakan (ps2)
Oddworld (xbox)
Mvp Baseball 2003 (xbox)
Alone in the Dark (PSX)
Jedi Power Battles (PSX)
Megaman x4 (PSX)
Disney Extreme Skating(GC)
Shadowman 2 (PS2)
Legends of Wrestling II(PS2)
Evergrace (ps2)
Minority report (GC)
Ncaa College Football 2k3(GC)
Turok Evolution (GC)
UFC Throwdown (GC)
Top Gun (GC)
Monster Jam (GC)
Superman (Xbox)
Sega Bass Fishing 2 (DC)
Fear Effect 2 (PSX)
Madden 2003 (PSX)
My Street (PS2)

that is it.

[quote name='Luckychunk']Chicago, IL suburbs are wiped out. No recent restocking of any titles whatsoever.

Schaumburg = wiped
Mount Prospect (Randhurst Mall) = wiped
Hawthorne/Libertyville = wiped
Deer Park/Killdeer = wiped
Spring Hill = LOTS of old sports titles, but otherwise wiped.
Crystal Lake = wiped

I did manage to find Splinter cell GC and Sega GT 2002 at the Randhurst CC, but that is the extent of it.

Almost all of the CCs around me set up the white 4.99 boxes earlier in the week, and they are now all basically empty.

The thing that struck me funny were the new plastic placards holding a corporate memo which basicaly read: "Dear CC Customers: Please note the $4.99 clearance sale is limited to titles IN STOCK and on hand. No Rainchecks. Please accept our apologies and sorry for the confusion -- as a Circuit City customer, we value your business." (not verbatim)

I read this memo as saying: "We're sorry that the prices went into effect one week early, but there's nothing we can do about our current shaq-fu selection." They probably had to act fast to type/print/mail these out in order for the CCs in my area to effectively cover their respective butts.

I did see a number of people walking around with the multi-page internet master list, with scowls on their faces.[/quote]

Not good news for me. :(

A note for the 2 people here that went to Burlington, MA: They did have copies of Konami Arcade for the GBA on the shelves that are $5, and if you take the stickers off that are over the upc on Virtua Fighter 4, it might ring up $5. And they had Shrek Super Party, ATV Offroad Fury 1, Evolution Snowboarding, and Drome Racers for PS2. Xgra, Tetris for Xbox. And... And... Oni. What a load of crap.

I go last Sunday...they said they were holding back games for today...I go in today (waited for them to open) and the guy tells me they had to take them out of the back and sell them after I had left
on Sunday. I did not get a single game from this. I hate my life, haha.

All my CC's were empty as exptected (Columbus OH). I already got the best of the lot last weekend and then again on Friday when the bins went out. However, I found the following titles on the shelves. Burnout, Timesplitters 2, Frequency, Jedi Outcast, Star Wars Obi-one. Most of which I had already bought last weekend. Well I went to get a couple I didn't have and none of them rang up 4.99. ALL of them had stickers over the UPC symbol. I told the guy that they would ring up as 4.99 if he rang up the UPC symbol under the sticker, but he said no all the 4.99 games were in the bin. The bin had only old sport games. Funny how just seconds before I got those games, I had put down Freedom Fighters after noticing the sticker on the back, and the employee actually picked it up and put it behind the register. I only assume for him later. He knew what was going on, but for some reason the store restickered ALL the decent 4.99 games. What a farce. Glad I got my fill already.

My CC (Savanah, GA) was a circus...

There was a line when I got there, just a few people... but as soon as I stood by the door, like 5 more cars pulled in, some with couples and one with like 6 guys all clearly in search of the bargin games. The guys in front of me had obviously been hunting stuff all week and were comparing notes and accomplishments. The people behind us all seemed to have just caught wind of the deal.

Once the doors opened it was on, people walked calmly to the game section but as soon as they hit those bins, the serenity ceased. There was one bin for GBA games and another for PS2/XBOX games... but no bin for GC games. This, along with the fact that they were stupid enough to place the PS2/XBOX bin right next to their unmarked "value games" bin created a lot of confusion and chaos.

People were snatching up games from the value bin like they won the lottery, while others (myself included) searched in vein for a Gamecube bin... only to find that a few craptastic games were still on the shelves unmarked (except LOTR: TTT.. but since I already had that I pointed it out to a guy who seemed pretty lost)...

I was lucky enough to hit the GBA bin before it got raped. I walked away with these games:

All-Star Baseball 2003
Iridion 3-D
Legends of Wrestling II
Justice League Chronicles
Donald Duck Advance
Duke Nukem Advance
Stuntman

While I'm not sure any of these are that good, I needed just about anything GBA related as I bought my first one (the retro edition) last month and only had Mario Bros. to play on it.

I also picked up X2 Wolverines Revenge... quite frankly.. because it was there. The sales person that was there on thursday bullshitted me and said "We have a whole crate of GBA games in the back and a lot of Gamecube too... Xbox and PS2 is pretty picked over though" ... so I had come with my mind set on getting at least one GC, and for better or for worse I did.

As I was leaving, hell seemed ready to break loose... people were bringing up the stacks of value games that were NOT 4.99 (as we learned throughout the week) and the cashiers ran around trying to figure out how to stop people from mistakenly taking value games. Kids were mad that they went up with a stack of games and none of them counted, and parents were even more pissed because they had driven them there, and watched as other people left with the majority of the RIGHT games. It was a powder keg and it'll surely get worse as the day gets on... that's it for me with this sale, it was fun while it lasted.

Went to Santa Cruz, Ca store, for the 5th time seeing if they had more stock. Nope, as 15 sub-par-nerds hovered over a 4.99 bin that was filled with games that wern't actually 4.99, I just smild knowing that I had already picked up 19 games earlier this week.

All in all, today was a bust (Willowbrook & Woodlands - Houston Tx). Should have figured. I did find RE:2, so not all was lost.

Just a little upset at the b.s. the employees said about waiting till 11th for the good stuff.

I hit up my (Niles, OH) CC bright and early this morning when it first opened. The only titles leftover this week are Agassi Tennis Generation (GBA), some old sports games for Xbox, and Kabuki Warriors (Xbox).

Good thing I did my bargain bin raiding last week. I was thinking about picking up Kabuki Warriors just because it was there but decided against it. I probably should've snagged it just for the laugh value, though.

If you think it was crazy at the stores today, just think how it would've been had the sale gone down as planned. It would've been a madhouse as the Internet savvy and the general public descended on the hapless CC's in search of Disgaea's and Viewtiful Joe's at the same time. Of course, probably none of the quality titles would have been available to the general public as the employees would've snatched them all.

I went to the Greenwood, Indiana (Indianapolis) store this morning, and they had three bins filled with nothing but CRAP; basically, all old sports games and demo discs. I looked through the shelves and found virutually nothing, save for Maximo, which I was happy with at $5. I think it's safe to say that store is completely wiped clean of good deals.

I was in Cincinnati yesterday, and hit two CCs while I was there visiting relatives. The best store was over in the Western Hills area - they had tons of stuff still on shelves. Nothing too fantastic, but I did find a few things: Alien vs. Predator (PS2), Track & Field (PS2, never even knew this existed!), Oddworld (Xbox) and for the GBA, Disney Magical Quest, MOH: Underground, and 007 Nightfire.

If you're in the Cincy area, I would try that store, and avoid the Tri-County store, which had nada.

RD

I went to a CC store at California at 11 am on Sunday and found nothing good. There were no restocking just some bad games (2 aggressive inlines and 1 Heaven and some ps1 games) left overs from last week. The only one bin is almost empty. I'm dissappointed. I was expecting a big sale this Sunday.

Checked 2 CC's in my area (Galleria and Town and Country - Houston TX), absolutely nothing. At all. Except a bunch of old sports games.

I stopped by both stores in Wichita, KS. Bust. I picked up Mega Man X 4 from PlayStation, which was the last good game either store had on sale. Glad I went on July 3rd.

Found Dragon Valor for PSone on the shelf for $4.99 @ the Springfield, Missouri location.

Other than that, NOTHING.

Both had more games. But I got there an hour after they opened so if they had anything good it was already gone. I did pick up Tony Hawk and Defender though. I am not sure I will keep them, we'll see. I also got virtua tennis for GBA which i am very happy about. It was on the regular racks. I suggest people still looking for the racks for games and not just the bins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back