CC - XBOX 360 Wifi Adapter marked as clearence YMMV

BIGDADDYJN

CAGiversary!
Saw the Wifi adapter marked on clearence but was still the same price. The last time this happened with a product, that product went down the following week. So keep your eyes peeled. ;)

Sounds like a fluke or a wrong label/tag or something. Those things sell surprisingly well at that price, so they wouldn't clearance it like that.

I'm pretty sure I saw this too a week ago. Clearance tag but it was still $99. Figured it was just a screw-up. Guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Between that and the hard drive, MS sure has the market cornered on ridiculously overpriced PC parts for consoles.

[quote name='mva5580']Between that and the hard drive, MS sure has the market cornered on ridiculously overpriced PC parts for consoles.[/QUOTE]

ain't that the truth......that's one of my issues with microsoft.....

For those wondering, it's much cheaper to pick up a DD-WRT compatible wireless router and flash it to make it a wireless bridge.

This one is likely still found at many CC B&M stores at around $29.99 I think, here's some info on flashing it:
http://blog.arogan.com/2007/08/buffalo-whr-g125-router-and-dd-wrt.html

Flash it, and run some patch cables to it and your other network devices in your living room.

$99 for a wireless adapter is absolute robbery. I believe the 360 hard drive can be removed and imaged with Ghost for those curious.. I believe it's just a 2.5" SATA drive. Preserve the system and MS files, then you have as much storage as you're willing to go with.

[quote name='Skylander7']For those wondering, it's much cheaper to pick up a DD-WRT compatible wireless router and flash it to make it a wireless bridge.

This one is likely still found at many CC B&M stores at around $29.99 I think, here's some info on flashing it:

Flash it, and run some patch cables to it and your other network devices in your living room.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I had an older model Linksys router that I had flashed & was using for this purpose, but I had to get rid of it (long story...). Was just thinking the other day that I need to find a current-model router that's easy to do this with. :)

IMO, the linksys WGA600N is the way to go. It used to be at amazon for $80 ($90 now), but it's a N speed transmitter so I feel it's a much better value than the G xbox one. I've had really good reliability with it at a decent range.

[quote name='mva5580']Between that and the hard drive, MS sure has the market cornered on ridiculously overpriced PC parts for consoles.[/QUOTE]

Oh don't forget the HDMI kit so you can use optical audio with HDMI for $50, or play n' charge kits. Seriously ridiculous..

Buffalo routers are no longer allowed to be sold in the US (legal issues), they are wonderful, but hard to find. Most routers are not DD-WRT compatible, but there is a DD-WRT "lite" basically that allows some of those features on routers that can't run full DD-WRT. Not sure if those will work for bridging however.

[quote name='mva5580']Between that and the hard drive, MS sure has the market cornered on ridiculously overpriced PC parts for consoles.[/quote]

you forgot all incarnations of their memory card, too
[usb ports w/o use of usb memory FTL]

I just use my fonera router that I got almost free, flashed to DD-WRT. Only downside is that its one more thing you have to plug in to the electrical socket.

[quote name='Skylander7']For those wondering, it's much cheaper to pick up a DD-WRT compatible wireless router and flash it to make it a wireless bridge.

Flash it, and run some patch cables to it and your other network devices in your living room.

$99 for a wireless adapter is absolute robbery. I believe the 360 hard drive can be removed and imaged with Ghost for those curious.. I believe it's just a 2.5" SATA drive. Preserve the system and MS files, then you have as much storage as you're willing to go with.[/quote]

Those Buffalo routers have been out of production for a while now dude. Your best bet would be to get a Linksys WRT54GL. I also made a thread/guide on this a while back: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168891

Like I mentioned in the thread though: this is a lot more complicated than buying a wireless adapter and for the more technically savvy type of person.

[quote name='Legendbyname']Oh don't forget the HDMI kit so you can use optical audio with HDMI for $50, or play n' charge kits. Seriously ridiculous..

Buffalo routers are no longer allowed to be sold in the US (legal issues), they are wonderful, but hard to find. Most routers are not DD-WRT compatible, but there is a DD-WRT "lite" basically that allows some of those features on routers that can't run full DD-WRT. Not sure if those will work for bridging however.[/quote]
Lol I know people who sanded down the piece of the video cable that plugs into the 360 so that they could use that for sound and still reach the hdmi port.

$99 for a wireless adapter is absolute robbery. I believe the 360 hard drive can be removed and imaged with Ghost for those curious.. I believe it's just a 2.5" SATA drive. Preserve the system and MS files, then you have as much storage as you're willing to go with.[/quote]

Oh no. If it were that easy, I'd have a 1TB hard drive in my 360. Each 360 hard drive needs a security sector. And security sectors can only be copied, not created, and they contain information about a hard drive. So, even if you were to copy a 20GB security sector to a 320GB hard drive, you'd only be able to use 20GB of it.

The network adaptor has been marked clearance for at least 4 months now without a single price drop. I'm guessing it's somebody's brilliant idea to bump up sales while keeping it at the same price.

i'm actually using my old vonage router, for some reason when you run your cable from the modem to the #1 port on the router and then use 2 and 3 as outputs, it makes it just a switch. i never did this before because i didn't want to have to mess with having 2 routers and then trying to figure out the ip address for my 360/ps3 to open the ports...

It's been marked 'Clearance' for a long while now but it's still listed at around $100. I'm not sure why they did this; for a while we didn't have any in stock now they've given us around 8.

Err, why the hell bother with DD-WRT?

Err, why not just pick up a cheap wireless router (available everywhere for dirt cheap with a little looking) and use it??

I dont get it.

[quote name='shark974']Err, why the hell bother with DD-WRT?

Err, why not just pick up a cheap wireless router (available everywhere for dirt cheap with a little looking) and use it??

I dont get it.[/quote]

You missed the part where he said "flash it to be a wireless bridge". Wireless routers are access points, meaning they hook up to your internet and then make it available wirelessly. In order to get your Xbox 360 hooked up to that wireless connection you either need to buy the Microsoft Wireless Adapter (MSRP: $99) or you can purchase a wireless bridge. A bridge allows a wired device (the 360) to plug it's ethernet cable into it, and then it bridges the connection wirelessly to a router. Wireless bridges typically can run around $50 and up, but if you can pick up a cheaper router, flash it to make it a wireless bridge, you can save money. It is not for a non-technical person though.

[quote name='Legendbyname']Buffalo routers are no longer allowed to be sold in the US (legal issues), they are wonderful, but hard to find. Most routers are not DD-WRT compatible, but there is a DD-WRT "lite" basically that allows some of those features on routers that can't run full DD-WRT. Not sure if those will work for bridging however.[/quote]

A damn shame. I have two and they are both tits.

I'm just bridging my 360 over my PC's connection at the moment but if these drop to less than 50 I will snag one for sure so I can move my 360 away from my PC.

bread's done
Back