CD drive that will be used with special Halo edition X-box?

Lil Stinky

CAGiversary!
Does anybody know if the special edition Xbox will use the Samsung Cd-drive or one of the other ones? It would seal the deal if they all have the samsung drive. :D

[quote name='David85']It's the same thing as a regular Xbox, just in trans green.[/quote]

You do know there are 3 different types of DVD drives in Xboxes don't you?

The easiest way to find out if you have a Thompson, Samsung, or Phillips DVD drive is at xbox-scene.com. It had pictures of what all three of the trays look like, obviously they are different and so you just identify the one you have by comparing it to those pics, simple as that.

[quote name='XboxMaster']The easiest way to find out if you have a Thompson, Samsung, or Phillips DVD drive is at xbox-scene.com. It had pictures of what all three of the trays look like, obviously they are different and so you just identify the one you have by comparing it to those pics, simple as that.[/quote]

The problem is that system has not been released yet, and you have to pre-order the system, so you wont know until its out.

I thought somebody might have the inside track. Like somebody who works at Gamestop or something. You can tell without opening the box by the serial number. If its the Samsung Im getting a sweet ass green unit for sure. :D

The whole Thompson drive issue is the longest running myth on these boards.

Myth: MS no longer makes Xbox's with Thompson drives.
Fact: Many brand new Xbox's are made with the Thompson drive.

Myth: All Thompson drives are inferior and cause problems.
Fact: The very first revision of the Thompson drives used at one plant were less reliable and got out of alignment but since that time, new revs of the Thompson drive have corrected (or simply did not have) that problem.

Myth: Samsungs drives are always superior.
Fact: All DVDs included with Xbox have similar MTBF rate and no real evidence has contradicted that since the early Xbox releases (see prev myth).

So just relax. The new Thompson drives are fine.

And yes some of the halo edition xboxs do have thomson drives.

Honsenlty I've herd so many different things that I really don't know what to think . All I know is my Xbox has a Thompson drive and I've had no problems with it at all .

[quote name='BigMan']The whole Thompson drive issue is the longest running myth on these boards.

Fact: The very first revision of the Thompson drives used at one plant were less reliable and got out of alignment but since that time, new revs of the Thompson drive have corrected (or simply did not have) that problem.

Fact: All DVDs included with Xbox have similar MTBF rate and no real evidence has contradicted that since the early Xbox releases (see prev myth).

And yes some of the halo edition xboxs do have thomson drives.[/quote]

I bought my Xbox at the midnight launch sale, and I've *never* had a problem with my Thomson drive.

When I bought mine this past summer, it qwas Thompson and stopped working within 5 hours of use. I exchanged it the next day, got a samsung, and it works fine.

[quote name='MorganWebbLover']Honsenlty I've herd so many different things that I really don't know what to think . All I know is my Xbox has a Thompson drive and I've had no problems with it at all .[/quote]

Had mine for well over a year with no problems at all. People just like to overreact.

The samsung also plays CD-R's so anyone who plays PGR2 or any other game that uses soundtracks alot needs to be able to put compilations onto his xbox...My brother has burned me cd's becuase I have no money to buy them so it would be nice to put them on my xbox...And regaurding the faulty thompson drive...I got my xbox no less than 2 months ago and am having to send it in for repair

Relax my butt! I have gone through two Xbox's with Thomson drives. My first unit, which was bought at midnight on day one, was giving me dirty disc errors within a month. It was sent back to MS(what a pain in the ass) and was fixed for free only to start with dd errors again after a year was up. Bought another unit which also had the Thomson drive which lasted six months. I made such a stink about it that MS sent me a brand new unit that they guranteed didnt have the Thomson drive. They came through as they said they would with a unit that had the Phillips drive. It has been trouble free since I got it. The Samsung drive is the better unit though. My brother has one and we have compared these units side by side. It loads faster and excepts scratched up rental games from Blockbuster. The Phillips is a little bit faster than the Thomson but not as good as the Samsung.

[quote name='karmapolice620']The samsung also plays CD-R's so anyone who plays PGR2 or any other game that uses soundtracks alot needs to be able to put compilations onto his xbox...My brother has burned me cd's becuase I have no money to buy them so it would be nice to put them on my xbox...And regaurding the faulty thompson drive...I got my xbox no less than 2 months ago and am having to send it in for repair[/quote]

Pretty much what I was about to say. It matters mostly to the modder. I can't remember which one, but I know one of the three are more likely to play DVD-R/RW's and CD-R/RW's than the other two.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='karmapolice620']The samsung also plays CD-R's so anyone who plays PGR2 or any other game that uses soundtracks alot needs to be able to put compilations onto his xbox...My brother has burned me cd's becuase I have no money to buy them so it would be nice to put them on my xbox...And regaurding the faulty thompson drive...I got my xbox no less than 2 months ago and am having to send it in for repair[/quote]

Pretty much what I was about to say. It matters mostly to the modder. I can't remember which one, but I know one of the three are more likely to play DVD-R/RW's and CD-R/RW's than the other two.[/quote]

I had the Thomson drive and was able to load up soundtracks from CD-RW's for GTA with no problems at all. Not only that, but with the DVD playback kit I was able to play a PAL DVD-R that I had laying around.

[quote name='Diiz'][quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='karmapolice620']The samsung also plays CD-R's so anyone who plays PGR2 or any other game that uses soundtracks alot needs to be able to put compilations onto his xbox...My brother has burned me cd's becuase I have no money to buy them so it would be nice to put them on my xbox...And regaurding the faulty thompson drive...I got my xbox no less than 2 months ago and am having to send it in for repair[/quote]

Pretty much what I was about to say. It matters mostly to the modder. I can't remember which one, but I know one of the three are more likely to play DVD-R/RW's and CD-R/RW's than the other two.[/quote]

I had the Thomson drive and was able to load up soundtracks from CD-RW's for GTA with no problems at all. Not only that, but with the DVD playback kit I was able to play a PAL DVD-R that I had laying around.[/quote]

Notice I say more LIKELY to play CD-R/RW's and DVD-R/RW's.

I went ahead and put ten bucks down at Gamestop yesterday. Just cant pass up on the fancy looking box and system. I will probably play through Halo again just for the fun of it.

[quote name='BigMan']The whole Thompson drive issue is the longest running myth on these boards.

And yes some of the halo edition xboxs do have thomson drives.[/quote]

here I'll try my ver:

Myth: their is no diff between the 2 drives.

Fact: Thompson drives simply refuse to read cdr's, where as Samsung drives can. I know cause I had once owned a thompson XBox, then traded it anyway for a newer samsung one. Where as my cousin bought a newer thompson xbox (xmas season), it too did not read CD-R's, he exchanged it for a samsung one and everything is cool.

yes some of the halo edition xboxs do have thomson drives.

no way to know till they come out, so why in the hell did you state it like it's fact?

[quote name='Lil Stinky'] The Samsung drive is the better unit though. My brother has one and we have compared these units side by side. It loads faster and excepts scratched up rental games from Blockbuster. The Phillips is a little bit faster than the Thomson but not as good as the Samsung.[/quote]

WHY ARE YOU READING SCRATCHED DISCS IN THE FIRST PLACE THAT WEARS OUT THE LASER. I can see why you kill your first 2 so quickly. Another possibility is they were both from the same plant.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']yes some of the halo edition xboxs do have thomson drives.

no way to know till they come out, so why in the hell did you state it like it's fact? [/quote]

Actually its just like the current set of xboxes. Its all random but most have been reported as philps and a few thomsons no samsungs though.

The Halo LE Xbox I just got has a Philips in it, but I know for a fact that they used all 3 types of drives for the Halo Xbox's--I know people who have gotten the Samsung, and others that got the Thomson, and I got a philips--it's the same as the regular Xbox's--luck of the draw.

E.---

bread's done
Back