CD-ROM drive help

tcrash247

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
My CD-ROM drive doesn't want to work. I've tried restarting, rebooting, searching for new drivers, changing settings, and nothing will make it work. Any suggestions of what to do now?

This has happened before, but after I restart the computer, it seems to work fine. But this time it doesn't. When I put a cd in, the green light on the drive blinks constantly. I really want to play KOTOR II but I can't install it if my CD drive won't read it.

[quote name='mookiemeister']What brand is it? How long have you had that CD-ROM drive? Maybe it's time to upgrade to a DVD-ROM drive. They are really cheap now.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same exact thing. My drive is a factory installed one that came with my computer. I wanted to get a DVD burner, but they're more expensive than what I'm willing to spend right now. So 'll probably just buy a DVD-Rom/CD-RW drive. But still, any thoughts on why my drive isn't working?

Sorry. I have no idea what the problem could be. Did it just stop working today? Think back to what you did on the computer last time it was on when the CD-ROM drive was working. Maybe it's something you did?

I haven't used my drive in a while, last time was a couple weeks ago when I played Neverwinter Nights. I'm not too worried now, I decided that I'll buy a DVD/CD burner this week at Best Buy. They have a Memorex one for $100. Do you think I should take the cd drive I have in there now out, or just leave it in and use the dvd one? I have 2 slots for drives, so I don't really need the space.

DVD or CDRW drives are so cheap these days its really not worth your time to try and fix an old one. If your computer came with a CD drive, its probably a bit on the old side. Just go get yourself a new one, $10 - $20 if you shop sales, and you ll be much better off.

[quote name='tcrash247']I haven't used my drive in a while, last time was a couple weeks ago when I played Neverwinter Nights. I'm not too worried now, I decided that I'll buy a DVD/CD burner this week at Best Buy. They have a Memorex one for $100. Do you think I should take the cd drive I have in there now out, or just leave it in and use the dvd one? I have 2 slots for drives, so I don't really need the space.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOO! $100 for a MEMOREX DVD burner?!!! You can get a much better quality drive for half that.

Save your money. Shop the inet. NEC, Benq, LG, all have drives in the $50 - $60 range that kill a memorex.

Another question is, can your CPU even support a DVD burner? Its not a super intense task but burning a DVD isnt a 2% usage thing either. And do you really NEED one now? (are you going to burn alot?) Personally, Id get a DVD ROM drive for $20 then when you upgrade your computer, buy whatever DVD tech is out then.

Good point. I don't necessarily need a DVD burner right now, and I don't know if my moboard supports it. I was just gonna go to Best Buy and check out their drives and get a cheap, but good one. I just realized I don't even have an extra $100 to spend, it was just a spur of the moment "I want this" thing. I'll just get a regular CD-RW drive for $50.

Edit - Is this CD-RW Drive fine for the price? http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/I-O-.../sem/rpsm/oid/95002/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Also, would my Nero 5 software work with a new CD-RW drive I buy, or do I have to use the software the new one comes with?

The prices you are paying are way out of wack my friend.

DVD Rom or CDRW = $20- $30

DVD Burners = $50

Ill look around and see what I can find.

**Edit** Finds:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106819

This is a combo drive. Burns CDs and plays DVDs. Yours was just a CD burner and more expensive. Also a crappier brand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151063

The cheapass special. Just a CDRW but cheap and a great brand (mines Samsung is now 6 years old)

Get the combo drive unless youre just never gonna play a DVD. Its worth the functionality plus when you do get a DVD burner, you ll be able to read in your old drive most likely.

You might want to open your case and make sure all the plugs are good and tight, atleast the IDE cable to the CDROM and where it connects on the mother board or is linked to the hard drive, not terribly technical but could save you the trip

Geez, you're overspending. The NEC 3520a is a 16x DVD burner that will burn +/-R as well as dual layer DVDS and burn CDs as well. Plus it can read pretty much any DVD. Plus it has a rep for a low coaster rate (cds that end up having write errors). Price?

Beige = $51
Black = $52

Thanks guys. What was I thinking? The only reason I was looking at Best Buy's is because I wanted something now. But I can wait a few days and order that Sony one. I'll also open up my case and check the connections. I'm not sure how to install a cd drive, but it shouldn't be that complicated. Again, thanks for the help.

Ok, I just got my new CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive in the mail. I want to take out my old CD-RW drive and just use this new one. But, I need some help. I can hook it up alright, I'll just do it exactly how the one I have now is hooked up. But my question is about configuring it.

Do I need to uninstall the drivers for my current CD-RW? After I take the one thats in there now out and put my new one in, do I have to install drivers off the cd that came with the new one? I'm guessing there are drivers on it, but the cd is called CD Maker Gold. Just answer me these few questions and I'll be all set. Thanks!

[quote name='tcrash247']Ok, I just got my new CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive in the mail. I want to take out my old CD-RW drive and just use this new one. But, I need some help. I can hook it up alright, I'll just do it exactly how the one I have now is hooked up. But my question is about configuring it.

Do I need to uninstall the drivers for my current CD-RW? After I take the one thats in there now out and put my new one in, do I have to install drivers off the cd that came with the new one? I'm guessing there are drivers on it, but the cd is called CD Maker Gold. Just answer me these few questions and I'll be all set. Thanks![/QUOTE]

CD drives don't need specific drivers, the OS handles it all.

The CD Maker Gold product is CD recording SW, you don't need it if you already have a CD recording package that will work with your new drive. Check with the maker of your SW to know for certain.

Oh ok, so I can just take out my old one and put my new one in and it will work fine?

I already have Nero 5, so I don't even need the cd writing software that came with it. I was just wondering if it had drivers or anything.

[quote name='tcrash247']Oh ok, so I can just take out my old one and put my new one in and it will work fine?

I already have Nero 5, so I don't even need the cd writing software that came with it. I was just wondering if it had drivers or anything.[/QUOTE]

The OS will handle the CDROM side of things, and if running XP, it'll handle the recording aspects of it as well, in some small way.

Check with the support for Nero 5 to see if it'll work with that drive, and if so, it might need to be updated to the latest version of Nero 5.

Awesome. And yes, I'm running XP Home, I should have mentioned that before. Thanks for the help, I bought KOTOR II a few days ago and I can't play it cause of my CD-RW. I've been itching to play it and now I can.

I'll see about updating my Nero 5, I'll just try burning a cd with my new drive and see what happens.

Now hopefully I don't mess something up putting the drive in my PC.

bread's done
Back