CDC's New Anti-Smoking Commercials

Cheapie McGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As I was waiting for Family Guy to start a few minutes ago, I saw one of the CDC's new Anti-smoking Commercials. I don't normally notice these commercials, but this one was pretty graphic--with people talking about losing limbs/extremities due to their smoking habit.
I was unable to find the commercial on YouTube, but I did find a video of a news station talking about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vriBcrHmzYM
I just can't believe the lengths these commercials go to in order to make a point. I'm unsure if I actually believe that a dude in his twenties or thirties became a double amputee solely because of a smoking habit. Am I alone in this? Would the commercial to be graphic enough so that smokers would actually quit?

My personal background--ex-smoker, quit because the damn things were costing me too much.

Honestly, they really SHOULD show the financial aspects of smoking. The scare tactics are so 90s. Show people exactly how much they are spending...show them what they could buy in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years.. etc. It's going to be A LOT of money. Perhaps that may wake some people up.

On the other hand, I don't have a radical agenda I want to push on people so I don't care who smokes. Just know the risks and enjoy it if you want. Same for fast food. Same for alcohol. Same for anything.

I love them, hope they keep it up. It's about time our efforts to curb smoking caught up to those of some other industrialized nations.

Well I don't know that showing someone how much they spend works either. I tried it once on my folks years ago and it did no good. Figured up they spend about $3,000 a year in cigs.

To quit, somebody must WANT to quit. Thinking a commercial will actually make someone quit smoking is like thinking that listening to 80's rock made kids satanic.

You said yourself that you quite because it cost too much, otherwise I assume you wouldn't have. That means you didn't really want to quit, you just couldn't afford it anymore.

[quote name='Clak']You said yourself that you quite because it cost too much, otherwise I assume you wouldn't have. That means you didn't really want to quit, you just couldn't afford it anymore.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that I couldn't afford it, I quit when they added more taxes to them...I wasn't being thrifty--I was being stubborn.
I also didn't just quit cold turkey, I got Chantix...that crap cost a ton (as much as a couple months of cigarettes).

Well then it's still like I said, you didn't really want to quit, if the taxes hadn't been raised you wouldn't have, am I right?

It's a super addictive drug. Even if people want to quit, it's damn hard to.

So any added motivation to do so is a help. Just varies by individual on what puts them over the edge, cost increases, health issues etc.

And some never hit that point. My mom's 60 and has chain smoked since her late teens. Even having to sleep with oxygen for the past couple of years hasn't got her to quit. :bomb:

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']To quit, somebody must WANT to quit. Thinking a commercial will actually make someone quit smoking is like thinking that listening to 80's rock made kids satanic.[/QUOTE]

If a commercial can make people want to eat at Arby's then they can do anything.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It's a super addictive drug. Even if people want to quit, it's damn hard to.

So any added motivation to do so is a help. Just varies by individual on what puts them over the edge, cost increases, health issues etc.

And some never hit that point. My mom's 60 and has chain smoked since her late teens. Even having to sleep with oxygen for the past couple of years hasn't got her to quit. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Bingo. The new CDC ads may help, they may not. But I don't see exposure to the real world effects of tobacco use as "shock value."

We should be comfortable with the effects of what we allow in our culture, or work to eliminate its use. That is, if we allow smoking to remain legal and encourage its use, then we abandon any claim to be upset that we saw someone's tracheostoma on national television - lest we expose ourselves as fools for thinking the consequences aren't like that.

I don't remember the "if you smoke, your legs will fall off" warning on the pack of Marlboros. I guess what gets me most--is that the whole commercial seems like an atypical side-effect. I get the nasty dissected smoker/cancer lung...but the amputee thing seems out of left field to me. I'm not a doctor...nor do I play one on t.v., but I never heard of this epidemic. We've all heard of people losing limbs/extremities because of diabetes...just not smoking.

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']I don't remember the "if you smoke, your legs will fall off" warning on the pack of Marlboros. I guess what gets me most--is that the whole commercial seems like an atypical side-effect. I get the nasty dissected smoker/cancer lung...but the amputee thing seems out of left field to me. I'm not a doctor...nor do I play one on t.v., but I never heard of this epidemic. We've all heard of people losing limbs/extremities because of diabetes...just not smoking.[/QUOTE]

Smoking increases your risk for cardiovascular and peripheral arterial disease (PAD), a leading cause of preventable amputation in the United States.
If you have diabetes or peripheral arterial disease (PAD), smoking increases your risk of developing complications that can lead to the loss of a limb. Many of the complications from peripheral arterial disease and/or diabetes that lead to the loss of a limb involve poor blood flow in the extremities. Smoking contributes to the development of these complications by reducing the amount of oxygen in your blood, hurting your body’s ability to heal wounds.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/Limb-Loss-Awareness/index.php/archives/254#more

First hit in a Google search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYZD1sQBdlE

[quote name='camoor']

First hit in a Google search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYZD1sQBdlE[/QUOTE]

That's my point...you had to search it. I wasn't denying the science, just "witch hunt" that seems to be related to the smoking stigma. I never saw a "don't eat candy bar" commercial showing amputees. It's like they were trying to find a way to associate EVERY health issue with smoking through the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']That's my point...you had to search it. I wasn't denying the science, just "witch hunt" that seems to be related to the smoking stigma. I never saw a "don't eat candy bar" commercial showing amputees. It's like they were trying to find a way to associate EVERY health issue with smoking through the six degrees of Kevin Bacon.[/QUOTE]

Man you are a dumbass.

It's a great commercial because it tells you something true, something shocking, something you probably wouldn't guess.

Smoking is that terrible for you. It just is. You want to lie to yourself, fine. But don't come down on a PSA for telling the truth. It just makes you sound like the idiot you are.

[quote name='camoor']Man you are a dumbass.

It's a great commercial because it tells you something true, something shocking, something you probably wouldn't guess.

Smoking is that terrible for you. It just is. You want to lie to yourself, fine. But don't come down on a PSA for telling the truth. It just makes you sound like the idiot you are.[/QUOTE]

Wow...

[quote name='Cheapie McGee']Wow...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are hard ended "We know whats best for everyone" and insult people for disagreeing. Radical loons (and they'll be the first people to talk poorly on what the latest conservative did)

I never saw the concept of caring if other people who smoke. But then again, I mind my business and I'm not a "i know whats best for you" loony

[quote name='lilboo']I never saw the concept of caring if other people who smoke.[/QUOTE]

Well it costs you more.

Every time someone with a smoking-related ailment hits up their health insurance or goes to the emergency room, your premiums go up.

You were the one who is trying to keep health costs down, right?

[quote name='lilboo']Yeah, they are hard ended "We know whats best for everyone" and insult people for disagreeing. Radical loons (and they'll be the first people to talk poorly on what the latest conservative did)[/QUOTE]
Hyuk hyuk hyuk...people smarter than you are "radical loons.":rofl::rofl::rofl:

I never saw the concept of caring if other people who smoke. But then again, I mind my business and I'm not a "i know whats best for you" loony
Except when it comes to raising the premiums that you mooch off your partner amirite!

edit: I'm sure you're a nice enough guy, but you have the depth of a puddle on a sidewalk after a light drizzle. Either get yourself some knowledge and smarten up your arguments or expect more of the same. This isn't your first rodeo in vs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a joint account, a lease in both of our names, a car in both of our names....am I'm "mooching" off of him?

We aren't dating. We have been living together for 5 years. Essentially married without the actual piece of paper. But, yeah, what do I know?

[quote name='lilboo']Having a joint account, a lease in both of our names, a car in both of our names....am I'm "mooching" off of him?

We aren't dating. We have been living together for 5 years. Essentially married without the actual piece of paper. But, yeah, what do I know?[/QUOTE]

It's funny that you care about health care costs when it comes to helping out others, but don't when it's about curtailing self-destructive behavior.

And by funny I mean sad.

[quote name='camoor']It's funny that you care about health care costs when it comes to helping out others, but don't when it's about curtailing self-destructive behavior.

And by funny I mean sad.[/QUOTE]

lol because I'm not going to be a crusader to tell people what's good for them. We need to hurry up and ban fast food too! I mean, right now.. PEOPLE ARE EATING FRENCH FRIES.

[quote name='KingBroly']I was given legal advice a while ago that having a car in multiple names is a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

True, but it's also my life and I'm not with some low life trash.. so... we're cool.

Since you derail every thread and make it about you, and your posts are a fucking wreck the bulk of the time, I hereby name you "lilbob."

Wear it with pride, son.

[quote name='lilboo']lol because I'm not going to be a crusader to tell people what's good for them. We need to hurry up and ban fast food too! I mean, right now.. PEOPLE ARE EATING FRENCH FRIES.[/QUOTE]

Noone is talking about banning anything. Just an informational awareness campaign, if you don't like it then change the freaking channel.

And you're not a crusader - you're a busybody. People with a life don't consume themselves with the petty luxuries that their friends enjoy and whether said friends spend their money responsibly.

You want to kill universal healthcare because you're jealous of your friends with an Iphone. Ridiculous!

[quote name='lilboo']I have an Android and am quite happy with it. tyvm.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the ignore list , we've got enough bobs running around as it is, we don't need you. Come back when you edumacate yourself.

Hahaha, I have never seen the people on this forum ever yield to a difference in opinion without pulling the "well if you don't see it my way you are just a dumbass" card. Unless of course the difference in opinion inevitably makes it's way to agreeing with them, then it is all buddy buddy.

Well done guys.

[quote name='Knoell']Hahaha, I have never seen the people on this forum ever yield to a difference in opinion without pulling the "well if you don't see it my way you are just a dumbass" card. Unless of course the difference in opinion inevitably makes it's way to agreeing with them, then it is all buddy buddy.

Well done guys.[/QUOTE]

Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

[quote name='Knoell']Hahaha, I have never seen the people on this forum ever yield to a difference in opinion without pulling the "well if you don't see it my way you are just a dumbass" card. Unless of course the difference in opinion inevitably makes it's way to agreeing with them, then it is all buddy buddy.

Well done guys.[/QUOTE]
It's not your opinions we mostly disagree with, it's the way you come to them. boo here is little more than bob jr. Comes in here acting like some self absorbed prick and expects us to take him seriously? Hah.

And you, you play the victim card more than Sarah Palin for crying out loud. I'd think you were just trolling us all but no, you believe what you post here.

bread's done
Back