CDI Owners Unite!

Otherguy676

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just lucked into a large lot of CDI games with a CDI, however, it was missing a controller. Anyone know of any good CDI exclusives? The most known game I got was Zelda Wand of Gamelon, however, the only decent one of the trhee is supposed to be Zelda Adventure. Also, is Hotel Mario any good?

Outside of the Zelda games, most seem to be around $10-$15 shipped on ebay. The current Hotel Mario's are high, but the auction types seem to sell cheap.

The reason why I get old consoles like this is that most of the games will never be reprinted. For example, Nintendo seems to ignore Phillips use of their characters and probably would burn any of the Zeldas appearing on the system if they ran into a CD.

[quote name='Otherguy676']The reason why I get old consoles like this is that most of the games will never be reprinted. For example, Nintendo seems to ignore Phillips use of their characters and probably would burn any of the Zeldas appearing on the system if they ran into a CD.[/QUOTE]

That's probably because Nintendo didn't have anything to do with the games beyond licensing the characters.

Read this Wikipedia entry for a good summary of what happened. The short version: Nintendo and Phillips had agreed to work together to make a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. That never materialized, but as part of the contract Nintendo gave Phillips permission to license some of their characters in CD-i games.

The problem is that Nintendo wasn't involved in the development at all, and the games ended up being...well, awful. In addition, there's the potential of rights issues; since Nintendo didn't develop or publish the games, I don't know if they'd have the rights to rerelease the game.

That said, given the reception the games have had...it's just easiest for them to pretend they never happened. Even if they could, rereleasing them at this point - or even acknowledging them - wouldn't do the company any benefit and would just end in shame. And tears. Lots and lots of tears.

bread's done
Back