Cell phones with Wi-fi

kube00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Im looking to get a newer slider cell phone with Wi-fi as an upgrade to what I have.

Even though I have AT&T although I may be switching to Verizion is there anyway to get by without a Data plan? It seems both companies require smart phone users to have a data plan...

My work currently pays $20 off my cell phone bill a month and with the family play I'm on its about $30 a month total. I would like to keep it cheap.

What if I bought a used smartphone online that was 1-2 years old, as soon as I activate it, would I be required to sign up for a data plan?

Any suggestions on Phones?

[quote name='hsuuperman']get the sony erricson c905a and then debrand it. you'll have wifi on it then, and won't need the data plan. it's on att[/QUOTE]
you can't use an ATT phone with Verizon. They use 2 different network technologies.

i work for verizon, so i can try my best to answer this.

any smartphone (excluding blackberry's) released prior to 11/8/08 does not require a data plan. so you're basically stuck with the older WinMo phones like the moto Q9C or the Samsung i760. the only thing is that you need to take on a "pay as you go" data plan. you're not charged until you use the web/data outside of wi-fi.

now here's the kicker, if you somehow drop off wi-fi (which was known to happen on these phones), you will automatically sign into the pay as you go function, and get charged out the rear.

i've seen bills over $500 because of this, and verizon no longer credits accounts back because of the mandatory data plans on phones now.

take my advice, if you want a phone with wi-fi, just go into the droid or a newer WinMo phone and pay the $30 a month for it. it's a better experience and you'll save yourself a lot of headache down the road.

if you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM

Is it just that way with verizon? I have a t-mobile account through work, and it's phone only, no data. I bought a G1 off e-bay and it connects to wi-fi fine, but when none is available it won't go online and just says that I need to upgrade the account to get data services.

yeah, with verizon that's the only way...before nov 8, 2008, it was either unlimited data or pay as you go...but verizon saw too many people getting overages

I'd go with Sprint. If you need two lines they have the Everything Data plan with 1500 minutes, nights at 7PM, AnyMobile Anytime, unlimited data and text, GPS, TV, etc. for $129.99. And LOL. Verizon charges $44.99 for unlimited data usage on smartphones, $3 for Visual voice mail, $10 dollars for GPS(wtf!), and an extra 2 bucks for detailed billing(and this is all PER PHONE.) Wow Verizon is sooooo overpriced. All this is included in the Everything Data plan. A comparable Verizon plan would cost you $239.91 a month. fucking ridiculous.
*edit*
I have this plan with three phones and after a 25% off discount, it comes out to $120 a month after taxes. If you want to save money, Sprint is definitely the way to go.

bread's done
Back