Cellphone HELP!

iam8bit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone!

I need help choosing a cell phone and plan. I need to buy a cheap cell phone with no contract to use very sparsely. What's my best option?

What I don't want is to have to pay $20-$40 Dlls every 90 days for a service I will barely use. Are there any options where I can only pay what I use, without my balance expiring?

Any help is appreciated, thanks everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Boost maybe? Honestly, it doesn't sound like you need one desperately, so maybe just buy a prepaid card and phone, and save it till you need it

AT&T has some cheap Go Phones. Get the non-smart ones (all they do is talk and text).

You can put $25 on there and it will give you 500 minutes for 3 months. (If I remember right)

AT&T has some cheap Go Phones. Get the non-smart ones (all they do is talk and text).

You can put $25 on there and it will give you 500 minutes for 3 months. (If I remember right)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

For the cellphone I've found various cheap models, don't need anything too sophisticated.

As for the plans, I found this: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Does anyone know the difference between "pay as you go" and "pay by the day"? Do you guys think the PBTD balance expires?

[quote name='blindinglights']If you think $20 every 90 days is too much based on your usage, do you even need a cell phone to begin with?[/QUOTE]
Yup, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with finding something.

Get Tracfone, and a double minutes phone.
$20 for 60 min, $30 for 120 min. Service is 90 days.
The double minutes phones doubles those card amounts, and combine it with promo codes, you can pay $10 a month for a lot of minutes. It's very helpful when you're not a big talker. I got mine because fellow CAGs recommended it.

Alternative is to beg a friend or family member to add you to their plan.

pre paid is your best friend here. i pay $50 a month for unlimited calls and text. i would go with pay as you go

[quote name='iam8bit']Thanks everyone for the replies.

For the cellphone I've found various cheap models, don't need anything too sophisticated.

As for the plans, I found this: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Does anyone know the difference between "pay as you go" and "pay by the day"? Do you guys think the PBTD balance expires?

Yup, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with finding something.[/QUOTE]

pay by the day is essentially pay on the days you use it. It should give you fees on there. Pay as you go is a no contract but monthly plan. You pay a flat fee per month and get access to the network.

regarding the expiration of pbtd, the best you can do is read the terms. It's likely it might expire after a certain amount of days/weeks/months of not using it.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Get Tracfone, and a double minutes phone.
$20 for 60 min, $30 for 120 min. Service is 90 days.[/QUOTE]

Unless there's something about this I'm not aware of, at these price points, he might be better off going with something like PagePlus. You can get 100 minutes for $10, 416 for $25, and 1,000 for $50, all with 120 days of service (minutes are retained as long as you add a minimum of $10 every 120 days). There's a 2,000 minutes for $80 plan which lasts a full year as well.

[quote name='iam8bit']I need help choosing a cell phone and plan. I need to buy a cheap cell phone with no contract to use very sparsely. What's my best option?
[/QUOTE]

A secondary suggestion to what's been mentioned already, would be to post this same question on a high traffic, cellular specific site such as Howard Forums. The numerous dealers who frequent the forum, and are familiar with all the pre-paid & PAYG carriers out there, can probably help you narrow your choices down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use tmobile pre paid. I have a shitty ass phone and just put a sim card in it and load $100. The expiration is one year and it's 10 cents a minute and 10 cents to send text and 10 to receive. $100 lasts me like 3-4 months.

I love it because there's no monthly bill and I can even stretch the $100 even longer. The expiration time frame is great and there really aren't any issues I have to deal with. No contract and simple.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I use tmobile pre paid. I have a shitty ass phone and just put a sim card in it and load $100. The expiration is one year and it's 10 cents a minute and 10 cents to send text and 10 to receive. $100 lasts me like 3-4 months.

I love it because there's no monthly bill and I can even stretch the $100 even longer. The expiration time frame is great and there really aren't any issues I have to deal with. No contract and simple.[/QUOTE]

Not to make you feel like you're not getting a good deal but if you have Verizon coverage in your area you can use PagePlus (pagepluscellular.com) and they have an $80 yearly card which gives you .05/min, .05/text, and .99/MB for data. You can use any 3g or lower verizon branded phone as well.

They also have a $12/month plan which gives you 250 mins/ 250 texts/ 10MB of data every month for about the same cost you're paying now.

The thing I'm on isn't as bad as I made it out to be. It's actually 9 cents a minute (lol) and I get deals on the hundred dollar cards so it's even lower than that but too lazy to math it out.

I will have to look into what you said though. Sounds too good to be true but I hope I can get in on it. If they support iphone, that'd be great. Thanks, man. Will have to do some studying.

I don't think there is a cheap cell phone plan.

Family share can be good.

I'd just get a land line if I were you and use an answering machine.

bread's done
Back