chain PSN private messages - spam?

enufs8d

CAGiversary!
ive been getting PM on PSN from friends that say, "blah blah get great shit (MW2 beta, PSN credit, etc) by sending the message to 10-20 people on your friend list. psn moderators are testing and monitoring the trajectories."

didnt infinity ward ceo explicity state that there will be no public beta for MW2? I suspect that these things are just another application of an old fad, chain mails, in an new medium. I haven't verified if this is true or not on the playstation forums.

Is anyone else getting these? And are they fake as I suspect?

OMG, yes these spam messages annoy the hell out of me, because I literally get like 2-3 of these messages a day. I had to delete a few people from my friend's list to stop that spam... Good thing none of the CAGs on my friends list is doing that. ;)

Sony REMOVE the copy paste feature. REMOVE IT. TAKE THIS SHIT AWAY. I don't want it and the only thing you accomplished is bringing the idiots out of the woodwork.

I don't really care, it's just one message every other week. No big deal, just block anyone who send you some. I don't block them because one of my friends who sent it to me actually believed it, although I'm not sure I wanna be friends with anyone who would believe that

The question I have is,I recieved the same message but the person wasn't on my friends list and I couldn't find him on my Players met list. Do they just put random names in?

I received one about a month ago saying that Activision isn't going to release MW2 on the PS3... I thought it was pretty stupid and just ignored it.

Ha, I caught a guy in the act.

So I just finIshed playing FFA on Call of Duty 4. And a guy from my game messages me saying, ".... I'm the representitive of IW...in fact a MW2 beta... Choosen you... Send this to 150 people... Ontop of getting the beta, you'll also get the best gun in the game, the FN 2000. Good luck gentlemen!!!"

the funny thing is, this guy was a max presteieged, golden cross rank 55 guy. And he had 2 golden weapons. (I remember that from the game)

ive heard about 2 diff ones oe saying you will get a free $20 credited to your account and one about sony charging for online gaming.

I've received a bunch of incarnations of messages like this. Everything from 'zomg this dude on PSN(psdeath666) is sending out a virus that'll kill your PS3' to 'Sony is going to start charging for Playstation Network on 1/12/09'(a date that has already passed).

Yet I've received some of these messages from people who I figured would realize they're fakes and to NOT forward them.

I'm coming close to deleting a few people from my friends list and the ones forwarding this crap are tempting me to delete them first.

If I actually believed any of the spam I've ever received, then I'd be a millionaire 3x over from Bill Gates(old bs spam email from hotmail/aol) and I'd have a foot long penis by now from all of the 'zomg this stuff works' crap I receive.

i got one of those... i just stopped it's track, i didn't reply to the sender or forward it to other people on my list.

There was another one about Sony giving you $20 for PSN...

I got one of these a few days ago saying that if the message wasn't forwarded 500,000 times Sony would start charging for the use of PSN; Needless to say the person who sent it to me was removed from my friends list. I get this shit enough, I don't want it while I'm trying to play a game. Oh, and I fully agree with Paco about removing the copy/paste function in messages.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've received a bunch of incarnations of messages like this. Everything from 'zomg this dude on PSN(psdeath666) is sending out a virus that'll kill your PS3' to 'Sony is going to start charging for Playstation Network on 1/12/09'(a date that has already passed).

Yet I've received some of these messages from people who I figured would realize they're fakes and to NOT forward them.

I'm coming close to deleting a few people from my friends list and the ones forwarding this crap are tempting me to delete them first.

If I actually believed any of the spam I've ever received, then I'd be a millionaire 3x over from Bill Gates(old bs spam email from hotmail/aol) and I'd have a foot long penis by now from all of the 'zomg this stuff works' crap I receive.[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean a NIGERIAN millionaire?

[quote name='Paco']Don't you mean a NIGERIAN millionaire?[/QUOTE]

Actually no, there was one going around AOL or hotmail about 4 years ago that was just hilarious. It went something along the lines of 'forward this to xyz number of people and you'll get 1 mil from Bill Gates'.

But I get enough of the Nigerian scam emails in an average week and I've actually received several junk checks that they expected me to just cash/deposit, which went right in the trash.

I hate chainmail and have gotten about 2 dozen of these in the last 2 months. What is most annoying about them is when my actual friends send them to me. This is about as annoying as a geico commercial or the old wipeouthd state farm ad.

[quote name='John Hyperion']I got one to let me in on the PS3 Halo: ODST Beta. Yeah, you read that right.[/QUOTE]

so how was it?

bread's done
Back