CHALLENGE: Could you quit modern gaming for 1 year?

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
It's simple. Could you quit ALL current-gen games for 1 year? This means no 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita, and modern PC games. I'll even toss in Android/iOS games in there. Hell lets make it harder and say you're not allowed to even turn on your modern console (obviously you can use your PC and phone for non-gaming stuff). PS2 era and older stuff is fine, but nothing of this day and age. I was thinking of doing it myself (for old school era backlog reasons) and wanted to see if the CAG community would do it. So...could you do it?

Was curious about this and didn't know where to put it, so tossed it in the 360 section since it gets a good amount of traffic.

I did it when the 360 came out for a couple years. Broke ass college kid at the time. I think I could do it again with ease. I would miss a few games, but I get so much enjoyment out of my classic consoles that I wouldn't struggle to stay entertained without my 360 ;)

I think I could manage with nothing but my Dreamcast for 1 year. SNES would be another awesome choice.

Interesting prospect. I doubt I could do a year, but I might try with a shorter time period. I keep meaning to replay a few of my PS2 favorites, but I never get around to it because there's always something new to play. Maybe a challenge like this would help me to finally do that.

Quite easily as I've done it before a couple of years back due to a huge backlog of PS2 games. I had no interest in buying a new console nor wading through my collection so I quit for about two years. Started to miss it so I caved in and came back. Now with quality control seemingly non-existent, originality dwindling, and the industry catering to the casual gamer I wouldn't be surprised if I do it again in a year or so if my disappointment continues. My tolerance for essentially playing the same game in a different setting has worn thin.

As a father of a toddler who is getting more and more mobile, I find myself gaming less and less. I really think I could do it, seeing as I play games less and less lately.
Although not turning on a modern console for a year is nearly impossible. My wife and I watch netflix nonstop through the 360, and it is our only dvd player in the house.

the internet is vast...there's also something else you could find to distract yourself for a year...plus there's always Magic.

1 year off of gaming is cake...1 year away from the internet is a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could easily not play anything for a year. Because of money issues I rarely pick up game I want straight away anyway. There's also no upcoming games on the radar that I'm dying to get my hands on.

[quote name='100xp']the internet is vast...there's also something else you could find to distract yourself for a year...plus there's always Magic.

1 year off of gaming is cake...1 year away from the internet is a different story.[/QUOTE]

I was off modern gaming for about 3 months. I just came back. There was nothing I wanted to play.

Take it a step further... can you disconnect from all electronics (internet, gaming, cell phones, etc) for say even a month?

[quote name='lordopus99']I was off modern gaming for about 3 months. I just came back. There was nothing I wanted to play.

Take it a step further... can you disconnect from all electronics (internet, gaming, cell phones, etc) for say even a month?[/QUOTE]

I believe so, working in the creative industry I would just end up doing a lot more traditional drawing and painting...only downside would be finding reference that isn't in my library would be an actual trip to the library.

Plus there's always the pool, eye candy, and a good book.

I could do it pretty easily as it's not my top hobby. I do game a good bit--probably average around 5 hours a week throughout a year I'd guess. Hard to judge as some weeks I'll play 10 hours (or go nuts and play 20 if some new game is out) and other times I won't touch a game for a month or two when I get busy or just burnt out on games.

I'm still debating whether to just stop gaming after this generation actually, as there are too many times where I spend a night gaming and just end up frustrated or annoyed at whatever I'm playing and wish I'd done something more passive and relaxing like reading or watching a movie. But that's more just a function of being stressed out a lot right now hindering my enjoyment of gaming sometimes rather than anything to do with the games themselves...

As for disconnecting modern electronics, I don't think I could do that. For one I need internet and e-mail for my work. If you just mean personal use, that would still be tough--but I could probably force myself to do it. Though I'd have to get a landline phone which I haven't had for 5+ years.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']This means no 360, PS3, Wii, DS, 3DS, PSP, Vita, and modern PC games.[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't have any of those systems (other than DS and PSP).. I'm mostly playing PS2 and NES/SNES/N64/genesis games (on PSP but I guess I can switch back to play my carts)... I'll vote when I catch up to the current gen...

[quote name='Thorgouge']I can quit playing games any time I want to. I just don't want to.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking when I voted. I've quit way more addictive "stuff".

I don't really understand the point. It's not like you're quitting gaming altogether to pursue more "productive" activities, just boycotting the recent stuff. In which case, I probably could and get away with playing some GBA games or older PC games like Starcraft, but what would the purpose be. I didn't get a 360 until 1.5 years ago so spent a good couple years one-gen behind the times.

PS arguably the DS is no longer current gen, you could almost say the same for the Wii and PSP but the WiiU and the Vita are not yet available.

honestly since gettin goff eq i have cut back a lot. i also have a few more goals and responsibilities which cut into my free time. of course no women so it's not all gone!

i can serf or watch tv for hours but for some reason i cant really game more than maybe 90 mins at a time because im just so tired from work and junk. im thinking aobut actually going to bed earlier after work and waking up really early and game before work rather than after :)

Could I? Sure, I great up in the 80s playing whatever I could get my hands on. I have quite a bit of nostalgia for old PC and console games.

Would I? Not unless there was some significant reward in it for me. Just the 'satisfaction' of doing it would not be enough to motivate me.

Definitely not. Gaming keeps me sane. I'm not american, and I proudly admit that I've learned most of my english through video games (rpgs mainly). Also, I'm a college student majoring in business. Worked my ass off to secure a job in my desired field for after graduation next spring. Gaming helped me get through the stress from school and work.

I think its healthy vent to video games. Some people smoke or drink to relax themselves. I don't do either since I'm straight edge

A year would be easy with this NES/SNES collection I've built and the Roku box in our bedroom for Netflix. Pulling completely away from that type of entertainment would be tougher of course, but I've taken some pretty long breaks before, one of which was more than a year long.

Does it have to be this year? :lol: No way I'm not playing Mass Effect 3 the second it comes out. Past that though, I could definitely get by for a year on just my retro game backlog.

I took a long break from modern console gaming for a while while in college. What's nice is when you finally decide to pick up a 360 like I did in late 2008 is that there is a huge catalog of cheap ass games for you to play. Works fine for me since I am about a 80% single player gamer 20% online player.

Plus, everyone needs to play Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 at some point in their life.

Hell no. Not voluntarily.

The longest I have evr gone is a week and a few days. A few times was because I was traveling for business. The other was because of an ice storm.

I gave up video gaming entirely during this past year of college. Doing an additional three months would've been easy at that point.

I could go without video games all together. I enjoy them, but they aren't a necessity. I'm sure I'd get by find without them. Luckily I have enough to do as far as the outdoors are concerned.

I voted "no, I'm weak", but I would have preferred to vote "Hell no, gaming is in my blood and there is nothing wrong with that, brotha!! Wiki wiki W00T!"

I've actually thought about it from time to time, but I've been gaming for 30 years. It's my past time just like some people listen to music, watch tv or movies or browse the 'net. It's what I do. So, why stop doing it for a year, 'just cuz'?

Yes if I had more room in my apartment. I'd go all Saturn/PS2 but to do so, I'd need to go home, raid my horde, bring my stuff here and set up shop. If I had to do it no shit, right now, it'd be tough as all the systems I have at hand (360, PS3, PSP, DSi) are disqualified.

It's not that I'm weak, it's that I really like what I've got now and wouldn't want to work backwards.

bread's done
Back