Cheap 3DS Games 2.0 - It's Back

umbry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (95%)
vqucrx.png

*image made by Pekola

It's back. 2.0. Slowly rebuilding the thread and searching for deals.
A thread for us to keep track of cheap 3DS games and upcoming releases and deals,
If you have any deals post them in the thread and I will try and update the OP.
Or if you have deal questions ask here and we will try and help you out.

SALE SECTION

Key

SALE = SALE / AD SALE
CLE = Clearance meaning YRMV

Amazon

Bravely Second: End Layer - $24.94

- Chibi-Robo!: Zip Lash - $9.68

- Codename S.T.E.A.M. - $9.15
Final Fantasy Explorers - $14.99

LBX: Little Battlers eXperience - $8.85
Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale - $14.50

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - $12.53

Best Buy

Frys

GameStop

Target

Toy R Us

Walmart

GoHastings

UPCOMING 3DS Games Section

Monster Hunter Stories - 9/8
Metroid: Samus Returns - 9/15
Pokemon Gold/Silver - 9/22
Culdcept Revolt - 10/3
LAYTON’S MYSTERY JOURNEY: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy - 10/6
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - 10/6
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond The Myth - 10/17
Pokemon Moon & Pokemon Sun -  11/17
Fire Emblem Warriors - 12/31
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - 3/31                                                                   
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux3/31 (pre-order now since it is $29)

Digimon Universe : Appli Monsters

Monster Tale Ultimate - TBA
Donkey Kong Land - TBA
Mighty No 9 - TBA
New Atelier Rorona - TBA
Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest - TBA

Hope for The West

Terry's 3D Wonderland
Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3

e-shop Deals

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be buying Codename STEAM today at $16.50. If the price holds for a few more hours. Though I wonder if it ends up being one of the Gamestop Spring sale games (low odds).
I've been watching it too. Between Thursday and today it went from $16.94 to $16.50 but hasn't moved since I checked this morning.

I recommend Codename STEAM. I know I've mentioned it before, but I can't say it enough that I've had a ton of fun with it. It definitely suffered from the poor reveal. 

Spirit Camera is $11.99 at Target.com, can price match in store (my store has it on clearance for $19.98)

http://www.target.com/p/spirit-camera-the-cursed-memoir-nintendo-3ds/-/A-14003305#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=spirit+camera

Meant to order it with a 20% off coupon and forgot. I hear it's short and I know it's been cheaper but it sounds like my kind of game.

I actually like short games, I have too many other games I want to play instead of sinking 500 hours into "Monster Hunter x Animal Crossing v4.1*" or something.

The thing about long games is that you spend a few hundred hours collecting all of the items in a set to decorate your town or something similar, then the next game comes out and OH LOOK YOU GET TO START OVER AND DO IT AGAIN WITH DIFFERENT ITEMS. That is literally every Animal Crossing game.

Finally received my "Used" copy of Zelda Link Between Worlds from Gohastings during the 40% off used sale. For god knows what reason they sent me a completely new copy that is still wrapped but I'll take it.
6S2w2N.png
I ordered Zelda Majoras mask and it came in the same way

The thing about long games is that you spend a few hundred hours collecting all of the items in a set to decorate your town or something similar, then the next game comes out and OH LOOK YOU GET TO START OVER AND DO IT AGAIN WITH DIFFERENT ITEMS. That is literally every Animal Crossing game.
...So?

If that's what people like, then let 'em have it.

No, I can guarantee you that it's used... they just do a really good job of sealing them as if they are new. Allow me to explain how I know. The time before last I purchased 2 3DS games (Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7). Both came sealed and I thought they were new... I really did. This past sale I bought smash bros for $20, and it came sealed but with a used sticker on the seal which just slid off of it... it looked like a new copy after that sticker practically fell off... I opened it up and everything looked new as well, but there was just the slightest nick on the inside of the manual thingy that came in it, and that's how I knew it wasn't new.
I received some bluray sets in recently and they were sealed with shrink wrap. However the used sticker on the back was on the inside of the packaging. I knew what I was ordering and of course didn't get any digital codes as it was labeled as bluray + dvd + digital. Usually with used video games I have gotten DLC at least. Just verifying what to expect.

Rodea The Sky Soldier is $20.93 .  I know it got mixed reviews but gamers that got used to the controls seem to like it and it's from Yuji Naka.  It has a Nights into Dreams meets Sonic feel.  I couldn't justify $40 based on the reviews but I bit when it hit $21 & change because I love Nights Into Dreams and want to experience this on my 3DS.

Also Code Name S.T.E.A.M is $16.70, a 3rd person fog of war style strategy game by Intelligent Systems hit $16.50 yesterday.  It's climbing again and at $16.70.  It may be on the way back up or it may just be that I and others bought it when it stagnated at $16.50 which caused the price to start to go up.  You may want to bite on that soon or at least watch it and if it continues to climb go for it.

Also

Fantasy Life (from Level-5), Persona Q (both versions) and LBX Little Battlers Experience have stagnated in price while The Legend of Legacy is on the move downward since yesterday.

...So?

If that's what people like, then let 'em have it.
And I just said that I don't like them. I didn't say they shouldn't make them.

What the fuck is wrong with you? I can't agree with someone else's opinion?

Rodea has  is down to $19.78 on Amazon.   It should come with the 10 song soundrack disc.  I had a larger order to complete so I couldn't wait for the drop to continue... but I'm going to see about getting a price adjustment when it appears to hit the floor.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M., is holding at $16.70 for over 24 hours now.  I think it's a solid deal and probably isn't selling due to the box art being wrong.  They have the EU version pictured even though it's the listing for the NA version.  EDIT: Scratch that, it's now $16.69... so it could get back to $16.40 or even lower this time.

I'm tracking a bunch of other games, some of which could end up excellent deals but I don't want to spoil them by shining the light too early.   That's clearly the downside to this stuff as I've watched other games I wanted that were doing great with steady price drops till someone made a thread or it got the attention of too many people.  Still, once the prices get too good to resist or a clear bottom is reached for a price, I'm more than happy to share when I have time.

My suggestion for anyone serious about bargain hunting on Amazon for their collection, go hit your account and manage the Wishlists you have.  Add a private shopping list for each system you buy games and then go through everything offered for sale on Amazon for each platform and populate those lists with what you want.  It makes tracking prices pretty easy and they do update to say what a game dropped since you added it to your list.  Also they put in the # left once supplies get low.  You can sort the lists by title for easier reading or whatever.  That's what I'm doing and it makes tracking the 3DS, DS & Vita games I'm interested in much easier.

Thankfully though, my lists are rather short these days as I've bought quite a bit to really flesh out my collection with stuff I want to play.

Oh and if you snoozed on the price match Amazon did with BestBuy yesterday for Shovel Knight, well it's over and back up to $25.  I'm holding out for $15... hopefully some kids get the game at Christmas and then trade em in to GS due to being too hard.   I already have the PSN version so it's on my Vita, PSTV, PS3's & PS4... but I'd like a physical copy for my 3DS when it's cheap enough.

Animal Crossing is what I live for.

Woah, Code Name Steam dropped to $14.00. I think this is due to Amazon price matching one of the 3rd Party Sellers that is now offering $14.00 with Amazon Fulfillment. So not a typical movement though I've seen that happen before where a price moves because 3rd party vendors are offering a better deal with Amazon Fulfillment than Amazon itself. Maybe I'll get a couple bucks back on it too. I'm going to wait till later (maybe tomorrow morning) before contacting customer service as I don't want to keep having to contact them. I think in total I'll get about $5 back which will easily go towards my next purchase.

Yeah that's one I'm following too. It's dropped about $1.50 over the last two days. I'm hoping it goes to under $15 ... though as long as it keeps dropping I'm holding out on buying it since it's got a fairly small roster and most of the characters are assists only.

Yeah that's one I'm following too. It's dropped about $1.50 over the last two days. I'm hoping it goes to under $15 ... though as long as it keeps dropping I'm holding out on buying it since it's got a fairly small roster and most of the characters are assists only.
And no online multiplayer. That was the big one.

Price matched Code Name Steam for $14 at Toys R Us earlier but now I see Rodeo went up a few bucks when I was about to order it. Looks like Code Name Steam went up a couple bucks too.

Yeah, the 3rd party seller that dropped to $14 on Code Name Steam either sold out or upped their price after Amazon matched it.  It's back about where it was before the drop to $14.  Good going getting it price matched quickly.

Rodea is back up to $23.12, so that roller coaster is over.  Guess no money back for me but I wasn't bothered by the prices I paid anyway.

I chickened out and bought Legend of Legacy when it dipped below $29 on Amazon since I missed out last time. For those interested it's still going down in price. As an FYI it hit $27ish last time before jumping back up to retail.

Uh... is Amazon really not using any packaging to ship Legend of Legacy?

"This item's packaging will indicate what is inside. To cover it, select Ship in Amazon box on the checkout page."

I want Legend of Legacy...but apparently it's grindy as balls.  That's the reason my 2 bravely defaults still remain sealed.

Making a game grindy does not equal fun.  You would think companies would know this by now.

I want Legend of Legacy...but apparently it's grindy as balls. That's the reason my 2 bravely defaults still remain sealed.

Making a game grindy does not equal fun. You would think companies would know this by now.
Well maybe people should stop complaining that not all games are 20+ hours long and accept that it's OK for games to have their own lengths.

Reaching Sticker Star status.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Sticker Star was surprisingly enjoyable (at least for me)

...Not to say I didn't immediately trade it in when there was a 50% bonus going. Got it on sale from BB for $10, traded in for $16, and it funded my copy of Etrian Odyssey Untold 2.

...I should probably play my copy of Codename: STEAM at some point. >_>

The thing that made me skip Code Name S.T.E.A.M. until recently was the botched Amiibo support for the older 3DS units. Even to this day, the Amiibo for the game are hard to find (retail price), and that doesn't encourage me to buy the game when there is gated off content, that the system can't even use. (again at that time).

Overall Having spent a good 2 hours in the game, it's a fun game. I would MUCH rather have a "New" (Micro transaction free) Advance wars game, and Amiibo suport for Read only new CO's would be welcome.

However, I honestly think Nintendo should allow ALTERNATIVE methods for unlocking otherwise exclusive content. I absolutely HATE that I was unable to get the Shovel Knight Amiibo, and I backed the original Kickstarter.

(A little about me... I didn't buy any Amiibo until A. I was planning to get a Wii U on Black Friday. B. I Only own 3 Amiibo so far, Mewtwo ($13) Pink Yarn Yoshi ($9) and Ike ($13) was bought more for Smash then CNS.)

However, I honestly think Nintendo should allow ALTERNATIVE methods for unlocking otherwise exclusive content. I absolutely HATE that I was unable to get the Shovel Knight Amiibo, and I backed the original Kickstarter.
I think there's some good debate out there on what's the right balance for amiibo unlocks (to which you specifically bring up some valid points), but being a Kickstarter backer doesn't entitle you to the completely new game modes or challenges that are unlocked with the amiibo. They were never promised/mentioned in the Kickstarter Campaign or in the stretch goals.

i say if you want legacy buy it now hasnt move in what a day.. should shoot up soon
It hasn't moved all day... stuck at $25.87. But it was $27.26 on Saturday.

Usually when the price stops it seems to mean that it's hit the threshold of the drop, or it's selling just enough to meet minimum demand to stop a price drop but not enough to trigger the spike back up. Whatever the case, I'm going to give it another day to see where it goes because as much as I actually want the game... I have a mountain of regular Etrian games to play through so I can hold out for something closer to $20. Worst case, it spikes back up to MSRP... but I don't mind waiting for the next deal if it doesn't just sell out.

TBH I didn't buy any amiibo until the functionality for Codename STEAM was announced, and the assumption that they would serve a purpose in future Fire Emblem titles.  It was a bit of a flood at that point, resulting in all the FE ones, all the Zelda ones, and then Megaman and Shulk.

...And then I've never played Codename Steam.  Or used the Shulk amiibo for anything.  Actually, I've only really used them to unlock things in Hyrule Warriors.

I have wasted such monies.

I won't get too long winded here but I liked Nintendo when Donkey Kong showed up at the arcades (and arcades existing) but fell in love with the NES through the end of the GC and DS.  After that my love waned as I wanted more traditional games and Nintendo seemed to want to go a different route.  I'm not saying it was bad but I just have no interest in collecting glorified girly figurines like some old women with 50 cats to put in my curio or whatever.   I hope sometime soon someone hacks the whole Amiibo thing so people can just reset a chip or something and program it for whatever game they want because there's no way I'm collecting them and more than I'm going to go buy Cards with chips in them or whatever.

Anyway on that note, I greatly avoid games that are too tied to the whole Amiibo craze in any meaningful way.  Thankfully it's not been too bad on games I actually want.

Yeah, shame to see it spike back up.  I guess it hit it's threshold on the drop since it didn't steadily rise like games that start selling do.  I can wait till next time it drops.  I think given what I read about the game it would be something I'd pay closer to $20 for because I like the whole map making thing but the overall game not seeming too remarkable compared to Etrian.

bread's done
Back