Cheap Acoustic Guitar?

I always recommend the Seagull S6. Sure you can find something cheaper, but other beginner guitars are basically throwaways. By this I mean that they don't sound good enough to play when you have learned, and they have no resale value. The S6 will last you beyond the learning phase, and if you do decide to give up you'll be able to get most of your money back.

[quote name='donkeydrop']I always recommend the Seagull S6. Sure you can find something cheaper, but other beginner guitars are basically throwaways. By this I mean that they don't sound good enough to play when you have learned, and they have no resale value. The S6 will last you beyond the learning phase, and if you do decide to give up you'll be able to get most of your money back.[/quote]

I second the Seagull recommendation.

watch musicians friend.com - every day they have a stupid deal of the day, acoustics are frequently featured, I picked up a rogue acoustic electric for 80.00 shipped that way, it's a great guitar that you don't have to worry about takeing around and playing, plus you can hook it up to an amplifier and rock like tenacious-D!

I also recommend picking up the fretboard logic system, it's a little pricey though.

I picked up an Ibanez V series (electric-acoustic) for $200 off Musicians Friend. Had $250 sitting my paypal account so I got it.

475301.jpg

Yes, I second the electric recommendation. Get yourself a Schecter (any one will do), and an Epiphone Valve Jr, and maybe a distortion pedal. Cheapest Schecter is like $250, Valve is like $100, and a distortion pedal should run you about $40. Buy all three at once and I'm sure they'll give you a discount since there is a ridiculous markup on these things. May be able to get the guitar a little cheaper since the new 2008 models came out and the 2007 and before are on clearance.

Acoustic is doable, but you'll learn much quicker on electric. Electrics are a lot more versatile when it comes to playing different styles of music. Cheap acoustics are exactly that, cheap. You'll play it for maybe 2 weeks, get frustrated because it's so hard to play, and you'll lose interest. When you learn the cowboy chords, which is what 90% of songs are composed of, you can pick up an acoustic as well. Cowboy chords are the basic chord fingerings that you should strive to learn in the first 3-6 months.

If you insist on an acoustic, the Seagull is a good choice, but make sure you get it setup by a professional. It's usually about $35, but it's a night and day difference in playability. That goes for the electric too. Ask for a free setup when you purchase the guitar, as it is an absolute must unless you buy a high end guitar. Ask for free strings, bags, cases, cleaning cloths, everything. Those music store guys work on commission so you can get away with a lot of free stuff since the employees are only concerned with getting the sale no matter what. Better yet, go on a Tuesday during the day. No retail store gets much business at that time, so they'll be more willing to compromise in order to get a sale. Sorry for the long post.

[quote name='kosh_kesh24']Yes, I second the electric recommendation. Get yourself a Schecter (any one will do), and an Epiphone Valve Jr, and maybe a distortion pedal. Cheapest Schecter is like $250, Valve is like $100, and a distortion pedal should run you about $40. Buy all three at once and I'm sure they'll give you a discount since there is a ridiculous markup on these things. May be able to get the guitar a little cheaper since the new 2008 models came out and the 2007 and before are on clearance.

Acoustic is doable, but you'll learn much quicker on electric. Electrics are a lot more versatile when it comes to playing different styles of music. Cheap acoustics are exactly that, cheap. You'll play it for maybe 2 weeks, get frustrated because it's so hard to play, and you'll lose interest. When you learn the cowboy chords, which is what 90% of songs are composed of, you can pick up an acoustic as well. Cowboy chords are the basic chord fingerings that you should strive to learn in the first 3-6 months.

If you insist on an acoustic, the Seagull is a good choice, but make sure you get it setup by a professional. It's usually about $35, but it's a night and day difference in playability. That goes for the electric too. Ask for a free setup when you purchase the guitar, as it is an absolute must unless you buy a high end guitar. Ask for free strings, bags, cases, cleaning cloths, everything. Those music store guys work on commission so you can get away with a lot of free stuff since the employees are only concerned with getting the sale no matter what. Better yet, go on a Tuesday during the day. No retail store gets much business at that time, so they'll be more willing to compromise in order to get a sale. Sorry for the long post.[/quote]

I have to say, I disagree with this whole-heartedly. While I love both of my electric guitars, learning G, D, Em, and C chords on an acoustic guitar is the foundation of all guitar playing. Sure, you can learn and play these on an electric, but they're a lot less useful. Much of electric guitar playing is based around power chords, but if that's all you know...you are NOT a guitar player.

The ONLY possible thing that makes an electric "easier" to learn on than an acoustic is the fact that the neck is thinner and so are the strings (generally). But just in the above post, you've highlighted what makes them more complicated. The requirement of an amplifier and your reccommendation of a distortion pedal.

Aside from the added cost, these items have settings of their own, in addition to the settings on the electric guitar. Are you going to hold his hand while he attempts to figure out what all those knobs are for? With an acoustic guitar, you just tune and play. It gives you what you give it. To me, there's no better way to learn.

Also, your taste in music should come into play. Electric guitar may seem "cooler". And you may have dreams of destroying Zepplin riffs or Metallica crunch, but realistically, when you're learning, you should aim for Green Day or The Clash, because their songs are simple, and won't frustrate you and make you give up. Plus, that's all you'll be capable of with the aforementioned power chords.

Don't get discouraged by any of this. I just think it's unfair for the posters above to label electric guitar "easier". Both styles require effort and dedication, but will reward you for what you put into them. I guess it just depends what you want out of it. If you despise every acoustic song ever written or arranged, then I wouldn't advise getting one. But I do believe it's the right place to start when learning how to play guitar.

EDIT - Here, I'll even show you where to start.
Print the chart below. The horizontal lines are the frets. The vertical lines are the strings. A dot indicates you press that string at that fret, and the number at the bottom indicates which finger to use (ie. 1 = index, 5 = pinky). Start with Em and D as they're the shortest stretch for your fingers. Once you're comfortable with that learn C, and then G. Practice changing from one to the other in different orders, as quickly as possible. There are over 8,000,000 songs that use these chords and only these chords. It's a good place to start.

G_CHORD1.gif

I agree with the above post. If you want an acoustic go for it. Don't let people pick for you just cause they think an electric is easier to learn. I'm no guitar expert but I've done enough homework to know "there is no easy path." The choice comes down to what sound you prefer. If your initial thought was to get an acoustic, then get one.

I've heard people tell me acoustic is easier to learn, and some electric. I don't think anyone really knows.

I agree with whoever says not to let people pick for you. If you want an acoustic get an acoustic. When I wanted to learn guitar when I was like 14, I wanted an electric since all the music I liked was mainly electric. But my dad made me get an acoustic to learn on and so I got frustrated with it and quit playing for almost 10 years and now I'm finally starting to play it again and planning on getting an electric once I get better at it (and have some money or something).

And btw, there are some good free guitar lessons/references online, here are some I use:

http://guitar.about.com/

http://www.cyberfret.com/index.php

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

(cyberfret doesn't seem to work for me right now)

For the entry level price range, Seagulls are absolutely the way to go. I own a $1000 Martin, and I'm actually tempted to pick up a cheaper seagull to play on just because the tone on them is so warm. Also, to the people trying to tell him to buy an electric, you're crazy. Yes, chords are the same, but the style and technique is very different between electric and acoustic guitars. Therefore, you can't use an electric as a quick way to learn to play acoustic. You'll just end up with a beginning acoustic player who's out a lot of time and money he wasted on electric.

Nyboy,
If you are going to do the electric thing I HIGHLY recommend a Line 6 Guitarport for your computer. I have been playing for over 12 years and own a dozen guitars and the guitarport has saved me so much money. It digitally models tons of different amps, cabinets, effects, stompboxes etc.. You can go from the most crushing metal distortion sounds to the sweetest clean tones in the click of a mouse! It is only $100 for the Guitarport itself which includes the software which will work on a mac or pc, they even have a service which provides guitar lessons using the guitarport.

Guitar can be difficult but once you are able to play a lick from a song you love you will be hooked for life, the sensation of rocking along with your favorite songs is unbelievable.

I think what many of the other posters are saying when they recommend electric over acoustic guitar is that acoustic uses strings that are a little heavier and are strung at a higher tension which sometimes is harder on the fingers of a beginner. Electrics are less taxing when you are forming calluses and strengthening you fingers as you don't have to push as hard on the frets to sound a note or chord especially if the electric guitar's action (string height off of the fretboard) is lower which in most electrics it is. No matter which you choose acoustic or electric I highly recommend going down to your music store and playing several, even just to feel the way they sit in your hands to decide which is most comfortable and easy to play. Every guitar is a little different as are every players hands (size, shape, etc..) and you want a guitar that feels right for your body and hands, especially since you are just beginning to play. You don't want a uncomfortable guitar to be the thing that stands in your way.

As far as guitar selection goes just know that a guitar with single coil pickups (stratocaster, telecaster, etc) is going to be better for blues, pop, light rock while one with humbuckers (les paul, sg, etc) will be better for metal, heavy rock, heavier stuff in general. Please email or message me if you have any other questions, I love to talk guitars. Good luck to you!:applause:

By the way, if you go to Guitarcenter or any other big music store watch out for elitist douchebag "salespeople" who care more about showing off or ripping you off than helping you find the right guitar! If you know someone who is a player take them with you.

[quote name='MuzykMann']For the entry level price range, Seagulls are absolutely the way to go. I own a $1000 Martin, and I'm actually tempted to pick up a cheaper seagull to play on just because the tone on them is so warm. Also, to the people trying to tell him to buy an electric, you're crazy. Yes, chords are the same, but the style and technique is very different between electric and acoustic guitars. Therefore, you can't use an electric as a quick way to learn to play acoustic. You'll just end up with a beginning acoustic player who's out a lot of time and money he wasted on electric.[/quote]

While the Seagulls are a great guitar, the cheapest one I saw on MF was $299. It's really hard to diagnose "entry level" pricing because while 300 bones isn't much to spend on a guitar, it does feel like a lot when you're just starting out and you're maybe a little unsure about the commitment of those kind of resources.

I DO believe in the "if you play crap, you'll always sound like crap" school of thought though. The key is finding a balance. I started out ten years ago on a $99 Hohner Countryman acoustic from Mars Music. It wasn't a great guitar, but it was mahogany, and it had a decent sound. After feeling confident I would stick with it, I moved up to a $300 Fender DG22CE, and eventually a $2,000 Martin D-35. IF you're scared to invest too much, here's a couple reccommendations in the $100 or less range. None of these are great, by any means, but they're serviceable.

Jasmine $99 shipped http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jasmine-by-Takamine-S34C-NEX-Cutaway-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=516458
Rogue $99 shipped
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Honduran-Mahogany-Dreadnought?sku=519268
Michael Kelly $69.99 + shipping
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ne-SD1-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=514499

I can vouch for Michael Kelly as a brand. They're an independent guitar maker out of Florida, and they make quality gear. I own a MK Phoenix electric guitar, and it's a great guitar. I didn't know they had gotten into the budget guitar market, but based on the specs/reviews, it doesn't look like a bad guitar. Hope this helps.

I started 7 years ago on an Ibanez AW200 acoustic. I have since purchased many guitars and I still enjoy playing my Ibanez.

Thanks for all your guys help. Im gonna go to Guitar center today. and see if they got any of the guitars you recommended. I don't really care for FX because I have Pro tools and Logic 7, I could just add them later. Maybe Ill just play some virtual instrument guitars.lol jk

hi, i'm new obviously
i'm alsointo guitar building so I couldn't help but get into this
if you're recording, check this guitar out
there are a lot of available things for sale
don't be a cheapy, because it may not be worth the money to invest in a cheap guitar if you plan to go forward with it, especially if you are already considering recording
used is always an option as well
good luck, blackdiamond13

I totally agree with Blackdiamond. If I had had the Line 6 gear back when I started playing guitar I would be much better today. Having access to so many tones unlocks almost any style you want to learn.

Cheap Acoustic Guitar...CAG...haha? Guess not.

Anyway, I got mine at Costco...yeah. For about $150 came with a yamaha, a few picks, a tuner, a travel case, some books, extra strings...perfect for a noob. The guitar gets the job done for me...it's nothing fancy but it's cheap and came with everything I needed.

I bought the Squire Stratocaster set they had at Guitar Center for a cheap electric. It comes with a little amp, a stand, strap, tuner. Works great. They are about 200 bucks, I think (I bought it on Black Friday, when everything was 20% off).

I also picked up a Classical guitar from them. It's some cheapy black thing, but my guitar teacher at school actually loves it. It was only 100 bucks. Plays fine for a beginner.

I don't know about acoustics, though. After you get good enough, you will spring for a good one. Otherwise, don't spend too much, in case you hate it.

bread's done
Back