Cheap Ass Beef Jerky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some of the best jerky ever this weekend. It was "Franks Red Hot" Beef jerky. It was like $6.50 for a bag, but damn was it good.

amazon had a coupon for $25 off $49 on selected brands. Pemmican Jerky (and slim jims) were some of the selected brands. You have to buy a truckload, but its 1/2 off. Check out fatwallet or slickdeals. I think its good till the end of the month.

And seriously, look into doing it yourself. Check out Good Eats on the food network. Alton Brown did a episode on jerky. No expensive dehydrator needed. He used a box fan and air conditioning filters!

[quote name='uli2000']amazon had a coupon for $25 off $49 on selected brands. Pemmican Jerky (and slim jims) were some of the selected brands. You have to buy a truckload, but its 1/2 off. Check out fatwallet or slickdeals. I think its good till the end of the month.

And seriously, look into doing it yourself. Check out Good Eats on the food network. Alton Brown did a episode on jerky. No expensive dehydrator needed. He used a box fan and air conditioning filters![/quote]

Alton Brown is the man. Love that show. I'm gonna have to look that one up, i love me some jerky.

[quote name='opterasis']Alton Brown is the man. Love that show. I'm gonna have to look that one up, i love me some jerky.[/quote]

Look up... I posted a link above.

Nope. No deals.

Do you know how much meat it takes to make jerkey?

You could feed your family a dinner off a couple slices of jerkey meat before it was dehydrated for your snack.

It takes 3 lbs of meat to make 16 oz's of jerkey.

Making it yourself with a jerkey maker is the best option, but still not cheap.

:D try jerkynet.com Prices at about $13 per pound for Jerky and about $10 for beef sticks. This is a pretty good product.

Enjoy

I second the idea of just making it yourself. If you really love beef jerky, dehydrators are a good investment. Just know, once you use a dehydrator for jerky, you'll probably never be able to use it for anything else (the smell and seasoning will stick). I dare you to try making fruit rollups after a batch of jerky.

That said, all I do anymore is make my own. I use an electric meat cutter and slice up 3 pounds of brisket (about $15, as McNutsnack accurately stated) into strips. You can trim the fat off, but I'd suggest leaving some on for flavor. You also have to factor in the cost of seasoning. Among some of the ingredients I use to marinade are worcestershire sauce, a little liquid smoke, Frank's Red Hot, black pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, soy sauce and black bean sauce.

Usually costs me about $20 worth of meat and ingredients when I get the jerky itch, and that does make about 1 pound of jerky. But it's comparable to grocery stores around here. fuck Jack Link's doesn't even give you 4 ounces for $4.50 anymore. You really are better off making your own. PM me if you have any questions.

Oh, and I don't think anyone else said it yet, but you can use your oven, too. It won't smell up your house much more than a dehydrator, but it will warm it up. Probably not a great method for summer.

Here are four easy steps to cheap"er" "beef" jerky.

Step 1 - Shoot a Deer
Step 2 - Cut several steaks of deer
Step 3 - Season the aforementioned "beef" and when I say beef I certainly mean venison
Step 4 - Put it in a dehydrator.

I have been using this method for a long time, it works very well...

tee hee

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back