Cheap Ass Home Theater?

tmbgman

CAGiversary!
Hey gang,

I'd like to ask for a home theater system for Christmas (receiver and speakers, the whole bit.) But I'd like something that doesn't break the family's bank.

Compared to what I know video games, I really know nothing about home theater, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some guidance on what to ask for. I'd ideally like to ask for something below $200.

I don't need something great, just something functional. Any thoughts?

Love,

Justin

If you want the best sound quality for the money go for a computer speaker setup. I have a 4.1 channel altec lansing system with a wired remote that cost me about $70 and it sounds awesome. If you only want 2 speakers I got the following system for $100 from best buy. It won't sound as good as a more expensive 5.1 system, but it includes a DVD player and actually does sound pretty good and it looks really nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7944558&st=philips+mcd+139&type=product&id=1152228969202

Also, if you want to spend $200 you could get the better one. It doesn't have a subwoofer, but it sounds INCREDIBLE. GO and listen to it in the store for yourself. And it looks very high class.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03052&id=1134703758087

If you're going to use it for gaming, make sure it has OPTICAL IN for audio, otherwise you're not going to get true 5.1 sound.

That being said, look to get a HTIB (Home Theater In a Box.) It'll provide excellent sound quality for the price.

That Logitech Z-5450 looks like it would work, but you're going to have to plug the rear speakers into an electrical outlet, since they are wireless. So if you have a setup that'll work with that, go for it!

If you want really good sound quality you won't be able to get it with an HTIB. Go for a 2 speaker (or computer speaker) setup if you only have that much money. My experience with HTIB is that they are crap. You're best bet would actually be craigslist. I got my setup there for $175 and it included (all Yamaha) a digital reciever, (2) 3-way front speakers w/ 8" woofers, center channel speaker, rear speakers, and an infinity 8" subwoofer. If you want the absolute best sound, go for an awesome computer speaker setup (the one mentioned earlier looks great) or see if you can find a reciever and nice, older speakers for cheap. I have noticed cerwin-vegas, infinity, etc. for under $100 on craigslist. Then get the surround speakers later.

Basically, if you want 5.1, get the the Logitech's mentioned earlier.

I'm also looking for a small system to get my parents. I almost posted the same question, with a lower price tag. They just bought there first nicer TV, and there room is, VERY small. I wanted to get a small tack on christmas present for the tv. These small logictech speakers have really good reviews, what do you guys think? Would these be good just to watch DVD's with? They don't need anything special, I just figured it would give them some bass and a little surround. I know they are suppose to be PC speakers... but I can't find anything that isn't 600 bucks that's not for a PC. Is that how they market these now? just for PC's? and you just use them for your games and DVD's. They don't really explain that you can use them for your other devices...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-PieceSystem-Subwoofer-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSCG/sr=8-2/qid=1165523904/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6428165-4527236?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

[quote name='hx214']I'm also looking for a small system to get my parents. I almost posted the same question, with a lower price tag. They just bought there first nicer TV, and there room is, VERY small. I wanted to get a small tack on christmas present for the tv. These small logictech speakers have really good reviews, what do you guys think? Would these be good just to watch DVD's with? They don't need anything special, I just figured it would give them some bass and a little surround. I know they are suppose to be PC speakers... but I can't find anything that isn't 600 bucks that's not for a PC. Is that how they market these now? just for PC's? and you just use them for your games and DVD's. They don't really explain that you can use them for your other devices...

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-PieceSystem-Subwoofer-Speaker/dp/B0002WPSCG/sr=8-2/qid=1165523904/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-6428165-4527236?ie=UTF8&s=electronics[/QUOTE]
The problem with that setup is that the X-530 doesn't have a Dolby Digital decoder. If I were you I wouldn't bother getting a 5.1 system unless it can do Dolby Digital. For a PC it is not big deal but hooking it up to just a DVD player it wouldn't give you "true" surround sound.

All these PC speakers aren't HT set ups

I can think of at least 5 decent $100 receivers [there's a sony, a sherwood, a pioneer, an onkyo, and an insignia] with at least two optical inputs and a coaxial, and MAYBE some component inputs. They're all 5.1 systems with around 90 watts per channel, but they are more versatile and sound better than these HTIB sets or the PC speakers.

Go in a store, look for open boxes and clearances, look at the value lines and store brands, and you can build a decent set up for a small room or a beginner for under $300. And at the very least, you can upgrade the speakers or the receiver later on if you need "more" The other day I say a 6 channel 100 watt Sony for $80 open box. I also saw an open box Onkyo 5 channel for $70..you can't beat something like that.

And remember, even these $100 receivers support Dolby Digital and DTS, something that these speakers won't do!

I have been in looks for a new receiver for a while. I want one with 2 optical ports and for cheap. I got lots of nice speakers from my uncle but the receiver was pretty bad and lacked optical ports.

[quote name='sarausagi']All these PC speakers aren't HT set ups

I can think of at least 5 decent $100 receivers [there's a sony, a sherwood, a pioneer, an onkyo, and an insignia] with at least two optical inputs and a coaxial, and MAYBE some component inputs. They're all 5.1 systems with around 90 watts per channel, but they are more versatile and sound better than these HTIB sets or the PC speakers.

Go in a store, look for open boxes and clearances, look at the value lines and store brands, and you can build a decent set up for a small room or a beginner for under $300. And at the very least, you can upgrade the speakers or the receiver later on if you need "more" The other day I say a 6 channel 100 watt Sony for $80 open box. I also saw an open box Onkyo 5 channel for $70..you can't beat something like that.

And remember, even these $100 receivers support Dolby Digital and DTS, something that these speakers won't do![/QUOTE]

This is where you are wrong about the Logitech Z-5450 and Z-5500. They do support DD, DTS and PLII. I can't say to much about the Z-5450 but the Z-5500 sound waaayyy better then any sub $600 HTIB then I have ever heard. They do lack the inputs (no video inputs and only 1 optical and 1 dig coxal) but they make it up in the great sound and small receiver. Just ask the many CAG that picked up the Z-5500 last year from Amazon for $220. I have bought a few HTIB systems throughout the last 5 - 6 years and I wouldn't change my Z-5500 for any other sub $700 HTIB system. The Logitech Z-5450 are supposed to be almost as good as the Z-5500. The only downfall I would say with the speakers is that music could be a bit tighter but for movies and games no other HTIB can come close to the sound for anywhere near the price.

[quote name='Battman23']If you want really good sound quality you won't be able to get it with an HTIB. Go for a 2 speaker (or computer speaker) setup if you only have that much money. My experience with HTIB is that they are crap. You're best bet would actually be craigslist. I got my setup there for $175 and it included (all Yamaha) a digital reciever, (2) 3-way front speakers w/ 8" woofers, center channel speaker, rear speakers, and an infinity 8" subwoofer. If you want the absolute best sound, go for an awesome computer speaker setup (the one mentioned earlier looks great) or see if you can find a reciever and nice, older speakers for cheap. I have noticed cerwin-vegas, infinity, etc. for under $100 on craigslist. Then get the surround speakers later.

Basically, if you want 5.1, get the the Logitech's mentioned earlier.[/QUOTE]

battman, your correct.. HTIB sucks point blank. I have just upgraded my OLDER system (which is funny.. cuz it isnt really older) but i re-did my WHOLE setup, since i got the new 1080p 46" sharp lcd... so i bought all new speakers, and a reciever...

SOOOOO
if anyone wants, i have a yamaha recieved for sale, AND some top-end cerwin vega's..... id let the reciever go really cheap, but yamaha is the BOMB when it comes to recievers.... so is denon, and harmon... they might not look wattage wise as much as those others (that claim like 150w per channel) but the yami is clear and crisp and precise...

but id recommend to ANYONE thinkin HTIB to buy JUST A RECIEVER and 2 speakers for the start... spend what you can on the reciever, and MAYBE get 2 cheap speakers.. youll be able to buy speakers as time goes on, but when your done youll have a semi-pro setup.. ive spent about 8k on my whole home theatre. (im including everything in that cost tho, light digital lights, and paint/drywall ect.)

you WILL be a lot more happy buying something once, then 3 times over...

Found this one on NewEgg.com for the ultimate CAGer. $49.99 shipped!

ModelBrand
Logitech ModelX-530
General SPECConfiguration 5.1
Total Power70 watts
RMSSatellite RMS Power /ea45 watts RMS (2 x 7.4 watts front, 15.5 watts center, 2 x 7.4 watts rear)Subwoofer RMS Power25 watts
RMSFrequency Response40Hz - 20kHz
Signal to No se Ratio(SNR)>96dB
FeaturesFeaturesFrequency Directed Dual Driver (FDD2) satellite technology produces a uniform sound field for full, rich sound
Matching front & rear satellites deliver balanced surround sound
Dedicated center channel makes dialogue clear and intelligible.
Dynamic, real-time bass equalization maximizes bass response while minimizing distortion
Ported subwoofer design displaces more air for deeper bass
Headphone jack enables private listening
Master volume and subwoofer level controls placed for quick, convenient access
Satellite speaker stands rotate for easy wall mounting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121126&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

Free shipping with paypal shipping code PAYPALFREE.

Really good reviews on this site. Price may have gone up?

Yesterday I found a denon avr-1400 at the local trash dump (specifically the scrap metal pile) It looked fine, so I decided to bring it home. After getting home, I plugged it up, connected some speakers, messed with a few settings, and low and behold it seems to work perfect (I don't have a remote though) I wonder what kind of rich bastard threw it away.

[quote name='cyberlian']Yesterday I found a denon avr-1400 (I don't have a remote though)[/QUOTE]

Denon Part Number: 3990458002
Remote Control (Remote Number RC832)

They have it at the BB parts store for about $81, but I'm sure it can be found for much cheaper elsewhere if you don't already have something to control it with.

[quote name='FRAUD_WHATS_THAT']Found this one on NewEgg.com for the ultimate CAGer. $49.99 shipped!

ModelBrand
Logitech ModelX-530
General SPECConfiguration 5.1
Total Power70 watts
RMSSatellite RMS Power /ea45 watts RMS (2 x 7.4 watts front, 15.5 watts center, 2 x 7.4 watts rear)Subwoofer RMS Power25 watts
RMSFrequency Response40Hz - 20kHz
Signal to No se Ratio(SNR)>96dB
FeaturesFeaturesFrequency Directed Dual Driver (FDD2) satellite technology produces a uniform sound field for full, rich sound
Matching front & rear satellites deliver balanced surround sound
Dedicated center channel makes dialogue clear and intelligible.
Dynamic, real-time bass equalization maximizes bass response while minimizing distortion
Ported subwoofer design displaces more air for deeper bass
Headphone jack enables private listening
Master volume and subwoofer level controls placed for quick, convenient access
Satellite speaker stands rotate for easy wall mounting

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121126&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

Free shipping with paypal shipping code PAYPALFREE.

Really good reviews on this site. Price may have gone up?[/quote]
Those logitech X-530's are garbage. Listen to them in the store and you'll see. The Z-5500's are much better.

Also, hx214, if you want something for your parents, I highly suggest an executive system with a wood finish such as the philips ones from best buy. I have the $100 one and it is pretty good and attractive. Look for my earlier post as I think I have a link to it in there.

I have a question

I havent gotten my speakers yet (z5500's) and saw a picture of the inputs, are there any standard red white inputs? Or am I going to have to get some sort of adapter?

[quote name='encendido5']The refurbished version of this goes on sale for $139 from time to time. Great system, I have one myself and couldn't be happier for the price I paid.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=HT-S590&modelid=93&group_id=1&detail=3[/QUOTE]

I grabbed it for 150 a week or so ago, and while I have not hooked it up yet and can't comment on sound quality, as far as inputs go it is great and definately the best deal for the price.

OP, you do not want a cheap-ass home theater. And definitely not one for under $200. You could get something that's technically functional, but it'd also be terrible (unless you went with the Z-5500's which are good, but those aren't exactly what you're looking for I don't think.) It's better to do it right rather than to just throw $200 down the drain on shitty components.

I also really recommend getting a refurb Onkyo, a fantastic deal, I picked up their cheapest one for about $90 a few months ago, works great.

I then nabbed 2 $9.99 pioneer bookshelf speaker sets and a $99 polk sub from circuit city during black friday and will be grabbing a center channel for about $70 son.

total cost about $300 and it sounds fantastic, close to a movie theater.

Unless you're an audio nut (I'm not, I'm a basic user) this is really good bang for the buck.

I recommend getting a reciever over the computer speakers as well, as it gives you much more options and settings. Plus you can upgrade one piece at a time when you have the extra cash.

I would stay away at all costs from any of those $100 HTIB deals, mostly carboard speakers and crappy amps, after the $150 range you start to get decent stuff

[quote name='Chacrana']OP, you do not want a cheap-ass home theater. And definitely not one for under $200. You could get something that's technically functional, but it'd also be terrible (unless you went with the Z-5500's which are good, but those aren't exactly what you're looking for I don't think.) It's better to do it right rather than to just throw $200 down the drain on shitty components.[/quote]

What do you recomend then. I have a 30in hdtv in my tiny room and am looking for something cheap to turn my system down. I tryed an insignia junky setup and it didn't work out so I returned it.

Yea dont get those pc speakers setup. I was using a logitech 5300e + my pc sound card for my setup and it was a pain because you only get one optical input. I'm using a yamaha receiver now with 5 inputs so you never got to switch the plugs before you play. You can usuallly find some good deals on open box stuff at stores.

Main problem with the pc speakers is that your stuck with them. You cant upgrade speakers one at a time like with a real HT setup so you gotta dump alot of money in at once when u upgrade. I bet after a year of use your gonna want start getting better equipment.

So I should just get a reciever and then get 2 speakers and a sub? I think this would be all that I would need to fufill what I want being a small room.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']What do you recomend then. I have a 30in hdtv in my tiny room and am looking for something cheap to turn my system down. I tryed an insignia junky setup and it didn't work out so I returned it.[/QUOTE]

CheapyD posted a deal for a 600W Pioneer 5.1 system that has all the stuff you need to get going. It's something like $160 or so... and for that price, it's a very solid setup. I'd definitely look into that.

Most HTIBs are garbage... especially the ones that advertise as being 1000watt home theater systems with DVD players. Onkyo and Yamaha are the only HTIBs (w/o the DVD players) you should look at.

yea like the previous guy said all HTIB that dont use a deticated audio receiver is junk. My parents have one of those all in one 5.1 dvd systems and its such a pain to use. You can't even manually select prologic II... u gotta let the system decide if you need it....

[quote name='Vinny']Most HTIBs are garbage... especially the ones that advertise as being 1000watt home theater systems with DVD players. Onkyo and Yamaha are the only HTIBs (w/o the DVD players) you should look at.[/QUOTE]

Generally, yes, HTiB's are garbage. A couple of my friends have Pioneer HTiB's though and they aren't as bad as you'd think. Are they as good as what Onkyo or Yamaha have? No. And they definitely aren't as good as a system with separate components. But for someone on a tight budget, it's far from being garbage.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']How about this sony one that is 200$ this week from bestbuy?[/QUOTE]

I've never seen a Sony HTiB that didn't make me wish I was deaf.

bread's done
Back