Cheap But Decent LCD Monitor

Tennisjon2002

CAGiversary!
I think I will be in the market for a new monitor soon and I am lookin at getting a 17 inch LCD. I use it mostly for the web and some movies and stuff but no gaming. I am lookin at something in the low price range and I came across this monitor: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-024-501&depa=1
Seems to have good reviews etc, just wanted to see what u thought or if u have any other recomendations cause I know jack shit about monitors. Thanks

General rules are this:

1. Get a low response time. The lower the better since it refreshes the screen. 16ms is good enough even for gaming, so it's good enough for general use. It might affect movie viewing, but again, 16ms is about the best you can get now.

2. Resolution size. This is up to your own personal tastes. A 17" can generally get up to 1280x1024. Again this is mostly a gaming thing, so normal usage isn't a big issue.

3. 200 for a 17" is the best price you'll ever get unless you found something at a going-out-business sale or something similar. So good price on that one you found.

4. CHECK THE WARRANTY FROM THE MANUFACTURER. I can't stress this enough. See what happens if something breaks unexpectedly. LCD monitors use backlights, and the thing that can normally die IS the backlight. If it does, you pretty much have a dead monitor and have to send it in for repair. So I'd check the following:

1. Do you pay shipping to the repair center?
2. Do they give you a loaner in the meantime?
3. Whats the turn around on that if needed?
4. How long is the warranty and what does it cover? Also, can it be extended?

5. Dead Pixels. If you have a pixel that won't light or change color, it's dead. NORMALLY a manufacturer will NOT replace the monitor unless there are several of these. Keeping that in mind, check for these the SECOND you get the monitor, and notify the proper personnel if you find any. It's best to call the company BEFORE buying it and seeing what their policy is. Again, most companies say 4-5 dead before it's cleared for repair. So if you get one dead pixel, chances are you're stuck with it unless newegg.com will replace it.

6. It says the input is 15-pin D-Sub. I'm pretty sure that means digital and not analog. So make sure your video card/motherboard can support that kind of connection.

That's the general stuff you should know before buying.

Thanks Strell! I'm not really in the market for an LCD yet, but it's always nice to have these things explained to me (especially if it's not by a Best Buy employee who's trying to sell you anything).

yea I am still not sure, it is a good price but I don't want anything crapping out on me in a few months. Anyone got any monitors they would recomend to me?

bread's done
Back