Cheap but good DSLR?

I'm not current on low end DSLR models and their prices, but I am pretty sure that there is no DSLR even an entry level one that goes for

Your best bet is to go to FW or Slickdeals and setup an alert for Nikon or Canon. The cheapest you're going to be able to get into a kit is $400 or so.

Second mtxbass1, youre definitely not going to get a brand new dslr for $350. You may be able to pick something up used.

I just bought a dSLR not too long ago, so I was researching a bunch. if you want to go the entry level route go for the Canon Rebel XS - goes for ~$450 brand new with kit lens.

Could try finding a used older model DSLR. I never bought one, but it remember wanting one of the original Digital Rebels from Canon. At the time they got great reviews.

sony, canon, nikon, olympus, and pentax all make very nice, capable cameras
im not a fan of the entry level canons because of their feel.
what you need to do is go put your hands on everything you can and go from there.

im a very very big fan of the d40. ive been wanting to pick one up as a backup for a couple years.
target cleaered them out, you may still be able to find one there.

imo, the d40 is the best dslr at the budget level. but im biased towards nikon.
i also like pentax stuff a lot but have never owned any of their equipment.
the thing you get with canon and nikon is a vast amount of lenses and equipment that you dont see with the others just because canon and nikon or more popular.

At that price point a DLSR is not worth what you pay for it. You will get a lot more bang for your buck out of a point in shoot at those prices, something like the Canon PowerShot SX20 IS. If you really want DLSR then I recommend saving your money for a while and buying something worth spending money on.

That's just my opinion though.

[quote name='Big Merl']At that price point a DLSR is not worth what you pay for it. You will get a lot more bang for your buck out of a point in shoot at those prices, something like the Canon PowerShot SX20 IS. If you really want DLSR then I recommend saving your money for a while and buying something worth spending money on.

That's just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

not to bash you but i think that opinion is very wrong.
you can get plenty bang for your buck.
you dont need to spend $1000 on a dslr to get something worth having.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='paz9x']not to bash you but i think that opinion is very wrong.
you can get plenty bang for your buck.
you dont need to spend $1000 on a dslr to get something worth having.[/QUOTE]

I don't think $1000 is the price point either for a beginner. I think the $500 range is a better range for an entry level camera. I suppose it would have made my earlier post better to have mentioned that, and I do apologize.

I think the upgrade in sensors and features is pretty dramatic between the two prices. I think going even a little bit beyond that into something like the Canon T1i gives you a camera that will be future ready for a while to come. Setting aside some money for a few months combined with the inevitable price drops could net a really nice camera this summer.

thats a more valid point, sorry for misinterpreting.
sometimes its not a matter of having more money but of a flat limit.
theres always something better if you spend a few more $
if the amount is $300 id go with a d40. its a fantastic camera.
id like to grab one at some point.

[quote name='Big Merl']I don't think $1000 is the price point either for a beginner. I think the $500 range is a better range for an entry level camera. I suppose it would have made my earlier post better to have mentioned that, and I do apologize.

I think the upgrade in sensors and features is pretty dramatic between the two prices. I think going even a little bit beyond that into something like the Canon T1i gives you a camera that will be future ready for a while to come. Setting aside some money for a few months combined with the inevitable price drops could net a really nice camera this summer.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed a d40 new off amazon last spring for around 450 with a lens and love it. My aunt had a d90 and it was very comparable for most pictures. When I was searching for info about cheap dslr's then and I had a ton of people tell me I wouldn't have anything good or it was stupid to buy one for less than 700. I'm no photography genius but I've loved mine so far. Bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens for 150ish on amazon last year too. Don't get hyped into only bought exact brand name lenses.

while i agree with the d40 comments. lenses are one product you get what you pay for.
that doesnt mean cheap lenses are no good, just there actually is a correlation for $ to quality with them.

one of my uncles has been an amateur photographer for almost 50 years and prefers to buy cheaper lenses and work around whatever their shortcomings may be.

[quote name='Treythalomew']I grabbed a d40 new off amazon last spring for around 450 with a lens and love it. My aunt had a d90 and it was very comparable for most pictures. When I was searching for info about cheap dslr's then and I had a ton of people tell me I wouldn't have anything good or it was stupid to buy one for less than 700. I'm no photography genius but I've loved mine so far. Bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens for 150ish on amazon last year too. Don't get hyped into only bought exact brand name lenses.[/QUOTE]

Sound advice guys. I've been looking at high-end point and shoots too, btu I'm keeping a fund ready for either in case a good deal springs up.

Set up an alert at slickdeals. You will find a kit d40 or xs for that price soon enough. A sears by me had a d60 clearanced for $340. Personally, with many of the lens deals with purchase a clearance model may not be the best bang for the buck. Typically the older kit lenses do not have image stabilization. Though not a necessity a huge plus if you don't want to use a tripod. The other thing I will add of importance is that you will most likely spend $100-$150 more than that for a few accessories (uv filter, case, memory card, extra battery). Also, If you aren't already familiar with a dslr, plan to take a class or two on how to use it and take better pics. If you plan to just use it in the auto setting buy a great point and shoot instead. The high end point and shoots are damn near dslr's anyways.

bread's done
Back