cheap computer

Shawn1221

CAG Veteran
im looking for a realitivly cheap computer that i can use for gaming. but i cant really find anything on the net.

Can anyone help me out a little?

anything and everything will be apprecitated:D :applause:

We need more information.. how much are you willing to spend and what are you looking to play. Cheap doesn't have a value.:)

Expect to spend at least $1000 if you even want to play any newer PC games.

oh i should have expected that.
i expect to spent anywhere from 1000-1700, and im looking to play world of warcraft, lineage II, DS2, Battlefield II, along the lines of those.

hope that helped you

i can build you one completely decked for around 1200 but 1-1.7k is a large budget you gotta be more specific... do you need keyboard/mouse, and more importantly monitor

Yeah, that's definitely enough to play even the murderous FEAR and Oblivion... but the games you listed can be done easily on a $1200-1400 rig.

well.. i dont really know how much i can save up during the summer. i am working two jobs but i am spending a little more than i want.
i do expect to play FEAR, and maybe oblivion also. it just depends on how much i save up. i am estimating around 1500?. also what are the specs of the system you can build me D4nkN1ght?

oh yes i do want a moniter with that

[quote name='Shawn1221']well.. i dont really know how much i can save up during the summer. i am working two jobs but i am spending a little more than i want.
i do expect to play FEAR, and maybe oblivion also. it just depends on how much i save up. i am estimating around 1500?. also what are the specs of the system you can build me D4nkN1ght?

oh yes i do want a moniter with that[/quote]

...lol when you said cheap, i thought you meant

[quote name='joey12169']what do you need to play games on a pc?[/QUOTE]

well i wont bash

you need the parts..

and the higher end the games the higher end the parts

[quote name='Americanpierg']High end vIdeo card....thats about it[/quote]and a good power supply to give it enough power.

[quote name='slvrdrgn123']and a good power supply to give it enough power.[/quote]

True. The 420 watt that came with my aspire dreamer II case was perfectly stable with an x1800xt, amd 3800+, 2 hard drives and 2 dvd rw drives for 2 months. I RMAd the x1800xt to get a cheap x1900xtx that was open box and after only like 3 days my computer wouldnt turn back on after leaving it on all night. Did that paper clip power supply check and found out the power supply killed itself. Had to then get a 680W power supply...not knowing that my open box x1900xtx was going to die just two weeks later.

[quote name='Americanpierg']True. The 420 watt that came with my aspire dreamer II case was perfectly stable with an x1800xt, amd 3800+, 2 hard drives and 2 dvd rw drives for 2 months. I RMAd the x1800xt to get a cheap x1900xtx that was open box and after only like 3 days my computer wouldnt turn back on after leaving it on all night. Did that paper clip power supply check and found out the power supply killed itself. Had to then get a 680W power supply...not knowing that my open box x1900xtx was going to die just two weeks later.[/quote]aww, that really sucks since the 1900xtx is pretty nice. ive seen it produce some awesome benchmarks.

[quote name='Vinny']We need more information.. how much are you willing to spend and what are you looking to play. Cheap doesn't have a value.:)

Expect to spend at least $1000 if you even want to play any newer PC games.[/QUOTE]

I spent $600 and added in a $160 vid card and i can play anything out right now most everything at the highest settings. So a grand aint necessary

yes Intels Conroe is tearing up AMD, but amd has new prices July 24th, the Dual Core X2 are dropping average of 50% and Singel Cores are going 30% down. I am kinda Planning on Going from my amd 3500+ to an AMD x2 4200+ slight if any Single Thread performance Gain (Gaming) but over all system performance should jump way up, like getting Multiple Par recovering and Unraring going.

However if Gaming is your only Concern, the Amd 3500+ is supposed to be 89 dollars/ 3800+ will be 109 dollars then and the Asrock Sata 2 board i have is great does AGP and PCI-e for 66 dollars, 2 gigs of Corsair DDR 400 140ish dollars, Leaving you alot of money to buy the Video card that really matters when it comes to Gaming and a good Solid Power Supply.

For Comparison , my pc is Asrock sata 2, Amd 3500, XFX 6800 xt Xtreme PCI-e 256meg/256bit vid card,2 gig of Corsair Value Select, with the Microsoft Gameing it ranks in top 13% and can play anything smoothly at 1024x768 resolution but if you are big time gamer I would go with a higher end Nvidia/ATI card something like the Nvidia 7600/7800 cards.

Games Played
FEAR
WOW
Prey Demo
COD2
Quake 4
Tomb Raider
Doom 3
Half Life 2.

[quote name='mercilessming']yes Intels Conroe is tearing up AMD, but amd has new prices July 24th, the Dual Core X2 are dropping average of 50% and Singel Cores are going 30% down. I am kinda Planning on Going from my amd 3500+ to an AMD x2 4200+ slight if any Single Thread performance Gain (Gaming) but over all system performance should jump way up, like getting Multiple Par recovering and Unraring going.

However if Gaming is your only Concern, the Amd 3500+ is supposed to be 89 dollars/ 3800+ will be 109 dollars then and the Asrock Sata 2 board i have is great does AGP and PCI-e for 66 dollars, 2 gigs of Corsair DDR 400 140ish dollars, Leaving you alot of money to buy the Video card that really matters when it comes to Gaming and a good Solid Power Supply.

For Comparison , my pc is Asrock sata 2, Amd 3500, XFX 6800 xt Xtreme PCI-e 256meg/256bit vid card,2 gig of Corsair Value Select, with the Microsoft Gameing it ranks in top 13% and can play anything smoothly at 1024x768 resolution but if you are big time gamer I would go with a higher end Nvidia/ATI card something like the Nvidia 7600/7800 cards.

Games Played
FEAR
WOW
Prey Demo
COD2
Quake 4
Tomb Raider
Doom 3
Half Life 2.[/QUOTE]

I second this I built a rig in Feb (Less $500) of this year and was using onboard for the time being and just bought a $99 video card (x800gto) and I can play about anything smoothly at 1024x768. For less then $600 (w/video card) I now have a good gaming rig. (My PC is AMD64 3000+ that overclocks nice if I want, only 1 gig Corsair Value Select RAM(add $80 if you want 2 gig) and 250 GB spinpoint Samsung HDD)

You don't need to drop 1k - 1.5k for a rig to play new games at good settings. You need to spend that if you want to play new games @ Godly settings. You can also find a nice 17" lcd monitor for $150 (AR) on sale B&M watch the sale ads ( I just upgradded to a Samsung LCD this way.) So for under $800 you can get a nice gaming rig with a good LCD screen. Also AMD Athlons prices are dropping almost dailly it seems. In a few weeks you can get a 3500+ or 3800+ for $90- $120.

Well what I am using is a Celeron 500Mhz with a built in graphics card. I basically can play most game but they all look like a cheap cartoon from 1930's.

All I really need is a great PCI graphics card and away I go.

What you need is

1Ghz Processor
Some kinda graphics card that is fairly new.
256Memory
100Watts power supply or take your chance using the one you have.

Thats going to cost less then $150 if you are lucky.

[quote name='jlarlee']I spent $600 and added in a $160 vid card and i can play anything out right now most everything at the highest settings. So a grand aint necessary[/QUOTE]

And at what settings can you play something like FEAR or Oblivion?

(I know I keep bring those two games but they're good for comparison.)

bread's done
Back