Cheap desktops?

JohnnyDrama

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
The computer I'm using right now was purchased about 5 years ago and it's definitely time to upgrade. Anyone know of any sites that sell good low cost PCs (besides Dell and Gateway)?

try staples in my store we have 2 compaqs both amd sempron's one for 400 the other for 500 both with 50 doll mir/online rebate both have agp slots for add on video cards otherwise its onboard video

compaq 1610 & 1620

How comfortable do you feel assembling your own PC from components. That is the best way to get the most for your money. I would search for parts on Newegg.com if you have any interest. If not I have heard ibuypower.com is decent, and there are always Dell deals around.

[quote name='lionheart4life']How comfortable do you feel assembling your own PC from components. That is the best way to get the most for your money. I would search for parts on Newegg.com if you have any interest. If not I have heard ibuypower.com is decent, and there are always Dell deals around.[/QUOTE]
You know, I don't think this is true anymore. It certainly used to be true, and I like knowing what parts are being put into my PC, but the sum of the parts in most off-the-shelf computers nowadays are worth more than what they're being sold for. It's a little closer to a toss-up if you don't need Windows or Office licenses, but for the most part pre-assembled PCs are a better deal.

Anything against Dell, or are you just shopping around for the cheapest alternative? I've always found them to be reasonably cheap with great customer service. I guess it also depends on how much power you want in your system.

[quote name='nwaugh']You know, I don't think this is true anymore. It certainly used to be true, and I like knowing what parts are being put into my PC, but the sum of the parts in most off-the-shelf computers nowadays are worth more than what they're being sold for. It's a little closer to a toss-up if you don't need Windows or Office licenses, but for the most part pre-assembled PCs are a better deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buying a retail version of Windows will pretty much kill your savings. I agree somewhat that it will come out to about the same price as a preassembled computer, but often the preassembled one will use generic parts or have no room for expansion. If you need to buy everything immediately you might not save much, but if you buy the parts over a month or two you definitely will. 200 GB hard drives for $50, I don't think Dell would touch that.

Thanks for the help, ibuypower.com seems like they have some good PCs there. I don't have anything against Dell or Gateway, it's just that I think I've seen more powerful PCs at lower cost at other places besides Dell and Gateway, but I think that was a long time ago and I can't remember that anymore. I've even contemplated building my own PC, but I think buying a preassembled one is for me.

[quote name='allout1986']i'd wait for black friday. Then head to BB or CC for a deal.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about. You will probably be able to find some nice prices on comps on Black Friday.

bread's done
Back