Cheap DVD Player?

I would say Philips DVP642 . It plays pretty much anything, very easy to hack for region free etc..

So, if im reading the reviews for this player correctly....I can pop in a CD or DVD with avi files on it and it will play it?

[quote name='Rihan']So, if im reading the reviews for this player correctly....I can pop in a CD or DVD with avi files on it and it will play it?[/quote]

Avi, Mpeg, Mp3, Divx VOD, Mpeg4, & jpeg just to name a few

Another thought would be to spend extra money and buy one with a built in screen. Most have outputs to hook up to a regular tv.

I bought one for my daughter and its great she can watch in the car on trips. Then we can hook it up to a tv in a hotel (with our own rf adapter, most hotel tvs don't have composite or svideo inputs), or to her room tv at home.

[quote name='whitereflection']Does anyone know if the Philips could play subtitled animé? Some people tell me the subs get cut off, and some people say they don't.[/quote]

The latest firmware ver. does (If you buy it new it will already be installed, if you get one used you can get the firmware from philips. It's very easy to install...)

Now if you want cheap, we have a CyberHome CH-DVD300S in both bedrooms and hooked up to our big screen. I like it better than our Kenwood 5 disc. Also have given out 3 as gifts. They are cheap, but we have had no problem with them and they play pretty much everything! We have gotten them for as little as $25 on sale, usually they are around $40. Put one in my sons room since it was so cheap I don't care if he breaks it. Here it is at Bestbuy.com: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...00961&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product

Oh, and it takes up very little space too.

[quote name='peteloaf']I just picked up one of these and holy crap is it great. It was 59.99 at Target. I'm very impressed![/quote]
I just followed suit, will be trying out it's divx capabilites when I get home from work. I wasn't even looking for a DVD player and this is what happens. #-o :)

[quote name='bmsdaddy']Now if you want cheap, we have a CyberHome CH-DVD300S in both bedrooms and hooked up to our big screen. I like it better than our Kenwood 5 disc. Also have given out 3 as gifts. They are cheap, but we have had no problem with them and they play pretty much everything! We have gotten them for as little as $25 on sale, usually they are around $40. Put one in my sons room since it was so cheap I don't care if he breaks it. Here it is at Bestbuy.com: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...00961&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product

Oh, and it takes up very little space too.[/quote]

you can type in a simple code to make this one region free as well

I also just bought the philips dvd/divx ($70 at Kmart) and am very happy with it

[quote name='Doylerulez'][quote name='peteloaf']I just picked up one of these and holy crap is it great. It was 59.99 at Target. I'm very impressed![/quote]
I just followed suit, will be trying out it's divx capabilites when I get home from work. I wasn't even looking for a DVD player and this is what happens. #-o :)[/quote]

I had always heard good of the player. I picked one up last night at Target and am very impressed. I was very suprised this player had optical out for sound. I had been looking for a replacement player for my old Toshiba, and this one is awesome, especially for 59.99.

Agreed, I got this Phillips player for christmas...and man. I think there has only been one thing I've tried that hasn't played...and that was some odd format...real media or something. Also, it seems to have problems with some .avi files, but for 60 bucks this thing is great, especially for people who download stuff off the net and watch it.

yeah but the cyberhome one's wont play straight .avi,mpege or divx/xvid files. you have to convert em to vcd,svcd or dvd.
but it does play PAL too so thats cool.

I bought a few of the cyberhomes. got my family to buy em too.

no one has had any problems with the dvd players other then losing the tiny remote. hehe

I have the cyberhome dvd300s, it works ok I guess for the price. I got it for 31.99 during christmas, but I see it at walmart for 36.99 everyday low price. It plays my dvd+r/w media, as well as jpeg, mp3, vcd, and mpegs on a data disc. It also plays dvd-r/w and svcds, but I havnt tried them. It has some cool features though, like brightness and contrast controls on the dvd player itself, as well as sharpness, volume control for non 5.1 sources, its the smallest dvd player I've seen, and fast loading.

bread's done
Back