Cheap/free way to have a dedicated work (land) line?

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've been given the ability to work from home, but they strongly recommend that I use a dedicated land line as my 'work number'. I really think it's unnecessary, as they simply just think that it will be more reliable and stable than a cell phone, but I hardly have any issue with my cell phone (especially if I'm just going to be sitting in my home office and using it).

I do have an existing land line (that I share with my family), but they suggested I get a dedicated line in case that one is being occupied. During business hours, no one will really be using the land line (or even at home), so I think I can manage with one.

My current solution is using my google voice number that I have. I can make that forward calls to both my cell phone and my land line, so, in the event my land line is being used, it will be forwarded to my cell phone. I was wondering if there were other alternatives I could look in to (internet land lines, etc).

Thanks in advance.

(Also, I realize adding a second land line is probably fairly cheap and worth the trouble for me, but I'm on a tight budget and, if I can get around it, that would be preferable).

I'm pretty happy using the Magicjack service. Cost me $40 for the actual Magicjack USB connector thingy, which included a year of service (after the first year, it still costs about $20 per year I think). You just need broadband internet, plus you need to have a computer on whenever you need to use it. I just put the PC that it's connected to on in the morning and switch if off last thing at night. It comes with a bunch of features, but we never really use them, really only use it for the basic function of calling out and getting a call. It's a second line for us basically, where all the local calls are free (I've never used it for long distance but I think that might be free or real cheap too, might be worth looking into). Really the total cost for the whole year is just $20 for us, we make all the calls we want.

I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

I'm actually thinking something similar to Google Voice would be ideal though. It can forward calls to my landline and cellphone (in case I'm not at home) and wouldn't cost me a cent. Only bad thing is, when I dial out, it's kinda a pain, which is the only thing that concerns me. If there is a similar alternative that is free and has an easier method to dial out, that would be perfect.

I think cheap VOIP service is likely the way to go with what you're looking for, since you obviously have some type of broadband at home, especially if your work needs to have a specific number to reach you at.

Vonage might be another option as well, though it obviously won't be as cheap as the Magicjack option mentioned above. There's other VOIP providers out there, though since Magicjack needs a PC up and running 24/7 for it to work, Vonage and the like wouldn't need a PC running. Plus, you can take the number with you when you move with no issues.

bread's done
Back