Cheap games ratings

mogamer

CAGiversary!
My local Gamestop has MDK 2, Project Eden and Run Like Hell. They are dirt cheap and I'm thinking about picking them up. At the prices their at, I'm sure they're worth buying. But are they any good? Were they worth buying when they were priced new?

Thanks in advance.

MDK2 and Project Eden are originally PC games. both of them are pretty good.

MDK2: action/adventure/shooter. tons of fun. the style of the game was pretty impressive for its time. the world of MDK is pretty crazy. battles can get kinda insane at times. i like the first one better, but this one is good too. definitely worth your $3 or $4.

Project Eden: i had a lot of fun with this game. not for the action or anything, but the puzzles. it's a team-based game where you have 4 members. you get into some action, but most of the time you solve craploads of puzzles. like using the engineer guy to fix a broken machine, using the cyborg dude to get through fire or toxic gas or something. overall it's a solid experience. but you really really have to like puzzles.

as far as RLH, that's one of those games that's been on clearance since god knows when. i've avoided it just b/c it doesn't seem to live up to the name. i don't even think it's as scary as they make it seem to be.

i'd go with the first two games for sure. that'll only cost you like $5.50 total w/ the 25% off PS2 Used games + 10% off w/ the edge card.

I'm always so tempted by these too. Maximo for $5? Batman vengence? VexxX? Malice?
goozex is making it even worse. It seems like there's always something I could spend 100 of my points on.

Then I have to realize the hidden cost involved. Time. I don't have time to play the games I do have. So I really don't need anything more for $5 that if I do play once will just fester in the back of my mind with my other "You know, I never really finished ..... maybe I should pull it out again?" This just leads to me being about 40% done with every game and never finishing any.

[quote name='eldergamer']I'm always so tempted by these too. Maximo for $5? Batman vengence? VexxX? Malice?
goozex is making it even worse. It seems like there's always something I could spend 100 of my points on.

Then I have to realize the hidden cost involved. Time. I don't have time to play the games I do have. So I really don't need anything more for $5 that if I do play once will just fester in the back of my mind with my other "You know, I never really finished ..... maybe I should pull it out again?" This just leads to me being about 40% done with every game and never finishing any.[/quote]

:lol:

I know the feeling. But it's an addiction, and CAG feeds my habit! ;)

I'll probably get all three. Three games for under $10 is hard to resist.

As far as bargain bin games go, I recommend Smuggler's Run. That game is so much fun I still play it sometimes - simple but fun.

The graphics are downright basic - but the gameplay is solid and actually really really fun. Great level design too!

The next game is an exact opposite - great graphics, great presentation, but not that much fun.

I was just looking at all the cheap PS2 games on gamestop.com. It's like a gamer's heaven. I've wanted to try MDK2 also. It looks like it'll be fun, maybe just outdated. I've been eyeing Death by Degree and unlimited saga.

My list of bargain PS2 games that every PS2 owner should own/have played/are interesting:
Maximo (get this - it's not as polished as the sly series but I think it blends action/platforming very well).
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Mark of Kri
Onimusha
The Getaway (frustrating controls though)
Haven (too much variety but the story grew on me, too bad for the cliffhanger ending)
NBA Ballers
Galerians Ash (camera might make you dizzy, like Kingdom Hearts's camera, like akira story)
Lotr: Two Towers (I thought this was more fun than returnof the king, though a lot shorter)
The Thing
Okage
Primal (buggy but very interesting)
Nightshade (love this game, I need to find a copy of shinobi).
Jak and daxter

After those:
XIII, Metal Arms are both good straightfoward FPS.

dead to rights - everything's outdated but it's a simple shooter.
Kya - I need to change my pricegrabber review to maybe three stars. Early on it seems fun but after several levels, the fun has worn off and the story seems to have been forgotten.
Future Tactics - strategy game that plays out a bit too slow. I wish it was a Shining Force game.

skip these games unless you have run out of games to play:
Musashi - even at $7.99 I think this is over priced. And the voice acting is horrible.
Cygirls - controls fine but boring and unoriginal.
Blowout - 2d shooter but got bored after playing for an hour. Graphics aren't bad though.

I picked up all three of the titles I mentioned in my first post plus Silpheed. I know Silpheed had bad reviews, but I'll give it a go. For a system that still gets new games, there are plenty of decent cheap games for the PS2.

bread's done
Back