Cheap Gaming Laptops?

VeryCheapGame

CAGiversary!
I wanna get a cheap gaming laptop but I have never played a real video game on a computer before so I have zero knowledge when it comes to picking the right computer.

I don't mind if it looks like crap as long it's play at a moderate performance.

I'm aiming at

I've just been through this recently. for laptops that cheap, it probably won't be that good for gaming. You'd be better off getting a desktop for that price depending on what games you plan to play.

How soon are you getting one? Whenever Best Buy gets the one I bought shipped to store, I'll let you know how Lord of the Rings Online plays. I might have some other games I can test. It is in your price range, but I've been told it sucks for gaming. Might be the "best" for your price range though.

Yea. I don't think you can get a good gaming laptop for that much. You're better off getting a desktop. Even a cheap desktop could run most games fine.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Yea I understand that a desktop is more suitable for gaming but since school season is just around the corner I figured I might as well get a new laptop.

Does anyone have a opinion on this one? It just looks like a steal at $500. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that's a steal. It has a low level graphics card and a weak processor. Also there is really no point in having a big 17" laptop if it doesn't have a high end graphics card to complement the big screen.

What type of games do you plan on playing and do you want to play them at max settings?

I got the perfect choice in that price range: Gateway 7811-fx.

This computer is about 3 years old but came fully loaded with a good 1080p screen and graphics card. By no means is it light as it is a 17in laptop that weighs roughly 10 lbs. Basically, it will still be on par or outperform any of the smaller gaming laptops (e.g. Alienware m11x) or higher multimedia laptops (HP Envy, etc...). It definately outperforms the m11x, even though it is a couple years old. To be honest, the Gateway 7811-fx is pretty much the laptop that started the whole "gaming laptop" division with its first iterations. Since then the "gaming" laptop category has gotten more robust and pricey as well.

But there is some added risk, as they do not sell these new anymore. You will have to find it used or possibly refurbished. The going price of these machines is $600 or less. I've even seen them sell for around $400 at times. Search on google and go to a laptop forum called "Notebook Review Forum". Occassionally, these laptop geeks will sell their old rig and usually in prestine condition. Some buying recommendation is always make sure to purchase from the original owner and one that comes from a smoke free home. Also it would help if the owner did the occasional cleaning maintenance as well.

What can you expect in terms of gaming performance? Well it will be able to play all games from medium to high performance. Of course this is based on namely the year it came out, and newer games will obviously need lower adjustments settings to get a smoother play.

If you are keeping tabs with the new Dota 2 game, you will meet the required settings to be able to play it. Don't expect to push the game graphics to the max as you will need a more expensive and up to date machine. But it will definately be playable.

The only game I found unbearable to play on this machine on any settings was the recent Witcher 2 game. Otherwise, you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

And if you could somehow save another $600 dollars in the future (adding your purchasing power to about $1200), then the best laptop for the money is Sager/Clevo.

Lastly, if you do decide to go with the Gateway 7811-fx route. Try sticking to that model as it includes the better higher resolution 1900 x 1200 screens. The later released model 7805-u came with a crapper screen to save on cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Yea I understand that a desktop is more suitable for gaming but since school season is just around the corner I figured I might as well get a new laptop.

Does anyone have a opinion on this one? It just looks like a steal at $500. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215120[/QUOTE]

You won't be able to play demanding games on that unless you don't mind some games running slowly even on the lowest settings, however others game might run better apparently. I just checked out this page http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6470M.43075.0.html and some older games work ok, but the demanding ones like Battlefield and Starcraft will have to played on the lowest settings to run smoothly, I'd probably just get a cheap laptop meant for school and a gaming desktop but then again that might be an expensive investment.

Basically, if you want to play games, you'll want a desktop. If portability is also a concern, you'd be better off getting a low-end laptop and a high-end desktop than you would getting just the high-end laptop. The price will actually end up a little cheaper if you get both, and most importantly, you can upgrade the desktop later.

As long as it can play some games I'm fine. I knew it wouldn't be able to play games like starcraft.

The plan atm is probably just get that laptop and upgrade my current computer. Thanks for the input. If you guys have anymore suggestion I wouldn't mind hearing it.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']As long as it can play some games I'm fine. I knew it wouldn't be able to play games like starcraft.

The plan atm is probably just get that laptop and upgrade my current computer. Thanks for the input. If you guys have anymore suggestion I wouldn't mind hearing it.[/QUOTE]

You should still be able to play Starcraft 2 on a pretty old computer. I don't see anything wrong with playing a game like Starcraft on the lowest setting. My friend does that since he has an old computer.

Asus K53TA - $450

I own this laptop and it plays most games fine. The asymmetric crossfire is slightly screwy right now, but I think a couple more driver releases from AMD should fix it. A desktop is much better suited than laptops for games, but this is probably the best CHEAP gaming laptop for less than $500 unless you find a clearance one or a really good sale somewhere.

Edit: Any of the new APU laptops from AMD are going to play a lot of less demanding games on medium/high, and even most newer games on low/medium settings.

[quote name='The Punisher']+1 on the desktop. need to let us know what games are u trying to play on the labtop.[/QUOTE]
You always say "labtop"...are you a scientist?

[quote name='The Punisher']haha. Guess some people call it notebooks[/QUOTE]

Or laptop. With a P. Because it rests on your lap. I've never heard "labtop" before.

[quote name='mkelehan']Or laptop. With a P. Because it rests on your lap. I've never heard "labtop" before.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it. And it makes me rage.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Asus K53TA - $450

I own this laptop and it plays most games fine. The asymmetric crossfire is slightly screwy right now, but I think a couple more driver releases from AMD should fix it. A desktop is much better suited than laptops for games, but this is probably the best CHEAP gaming laptop for less than $500 unless you find a clearance one or a really good sale somewhere.

Edit: Any of the new APU laptops from AMD are going to play a lot of less demanding games on medium/high, and even most newer games on low/medium settings.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, that looks kind of GREAT. It looks like the first cheap gaming laptop, uh, ever. I might have to sell my laptop and get one myself.

[quote name='mkelehan']Whoa, that looks kind of GREAT. It looks like the first cheap gaming laptop, uh, ever. I might have to sell my laptop and get one myself.[/QUOTE]

if u get it, u may run into screen banding, but asus release a updted bios to fix it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/601807-k53ta-screen-banding.html

This is a alright deal if u are looking for a cheap new notebook. Its a bit big. This may run a bit hot too, but should be able to play most games.

[quote name='The Punisher']if u get it, u may run into screen banding, but asus release a updted bios to fix it. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/601807-k53ta-screen-banding.html

This is a alright deal if u are looking for a cheap new notebook. Its a bit big. This may run a bit hot too, but should be able to play most games.[/QUOTE]

I've decided to get it. I read up on the banding, and it looks like that BIOS update fixes it, and the CPU is easily undervolted and overclocked. Customer reviews say it runs pretty cool, and it doesn't look like it'll be any bigger or heavier than my current laptop. I'm selling my current laptop for $300, and it has literally half the Windows Experience Index, so I'm excited.

[quote name='mkelehan']I've decided to get it. I read up on the banding, and it looks like that BIOS update fixes it, and the CPU is easily undervolted and overclocked. Customer reviews say it runs pretty cool, and it doesn't look like it'll be any bigger or heavier than my current laptop. I'm selling my current laptop for $300, and it has literally half the Windows Experience Index, so I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

Nice. May I ask, where u selling your laptop at? Isnt it risky?

bread's done
Back