Cheap & Good DVD burner deal WANTED!

silliemutafuka

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Please help me out on this, I've never gotten a DVD burner and I really need it now. The main problem is that I don't know which brands are good for DVD burners and I don't really have that much to spend for an expensive one.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='silliemutafuka']Hmm weekend deal ends tomorrow, I think I'm gonna get that.

Thanks alot man![/QUOTE]

It's probably always going to be that price or within a buck or two of it. Newegg just likes to label thing things as weekend or holiday deals all the time, but in reality they always have pretty cheap prices. Good luck with it man, it doesn't come with any burning fyi, but just download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (both free and legal programs) and you'll be fine.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Here's your answer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152058

They don't get much cheaper than that and it is also one of if not the very best burners out there. They have it available in silver and beige too I think. I got the slightly older version of it last year (this one just has newer firmware) for like $60 and it has worked flawlessly, never had one burn go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Since it's OEM, is there anything that I would need extra to hook it up to my comp? Also is there a lot of HD space required to add it on?

I don't believe the OEM drives come with software, so you may want to go for a lite-on or plextor drive if you can find one cheap enough.

Software isn't needed. I bought an OEM and Windows picked it up just fine. The only thing he may need would be the cable and maybe a power cable if there isn't an extra one in his tower.

[quote name='munch']Can you do that? If so i would be all over that. I didn't know it was possible.[/QUOTE]

I have one that I made external. I just got one of these OEMs, put it in an enclosure, and voilà! I had a portable one that connects to any 'puter via USB. The enclosure comes with all the cables inside so you don't need to worry about that.

I see that many of those cases are compatable with Mac and they can connect through Firewire if you wish. Just look through them for what might fit your needs.

[quote name='Psydrogen']Software isn't needed. I bought an OEM and Windows picked it up just fine. The only thing he may need would be the cable and maybe a power cable if there isn't an extra one in his tower.[/QUOTE]

So if I buy the retail version of the drive, would it include the cable and power cable, or just the software?

[quote name='Psydrogen']I have one that I made external. I just got one of these OEMs, put it in an enclosure, and voilà! I had a portable one that connects to any 'puter via USB. The enclosure comes with all the cables inside so you don't need to worry about that.

I see that many of those cases are compatable with Mac and they can connect through Firewire if you wish. Just look through them for what might fit your needs.[/QUOTE]

So do the cases only have to be compatible with a mac, or do the drives have to be compatible too? I'm a bit confused.

[quote name='munch']So do the cases only have to be compatible with a mac, or do the drives have to be compatible too? I'm a bit confused.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure about the drive, but if it isn't you can apparently make it with Patchburn.

[quote name='PapiChullo']So if I buy the retail version of the drive, would it include the cable and power cable, or just the software?[/QUOTE]

I think it might come with an IDE cable. If you have an open bay, you most likely will have an open connection on a cable coming from another drive. They run like a serial.

[quote name='PapiChullo']So if I buy the retail version of the drive, would it include the cable and power cable, or just the software?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it would come with that or just the software. If you only have one optical drive like just one CD burner, you probably have the "slave" portion of your IDE cable available still, but check first to avoid disappointment. You will need a free power connection too, which you may or may not have. I think you can get a splitter for power inputs pretty cheap though if you don't have it (under $1 probably). When I got my burner I was lucky to have a splitter already with my CD drive. The OEM versions don't come with anything though, they are just the drive itself packed in a box, with the screws to install it. I haven't looked in a long time, but I think they might have the retail package of this drive too for a few dollars more if you want instructions or whatever else comes with it, they're fairly easy to install without much guidance though.

bread's done
Back