Cheap Hard drives for RAID Array

darkchaostitan

CAGiversary!
Looking to buy multiple SATA drives for a Raid drive array most likely a raid 1 for fault tolerance. However I want to purchace 3-4 drives for somewhere around 750GB-1TB worth of storage if anyone has any solutions or current offers available please post them here.
I am using a PDK3 Delux motherboard that already has a RAID configuration built into the motherboard.
right now I need the storage to work for my new server, I'm looking into putting together a RAID 5, but I'm not sure I want to lose the whole space of 1 hard drive to do so. What I'm hoping is that I can actually use my RAID for one of it's primary purposes at least, cheap storage.
Again any suggestions or solutions are widely welcome.

I'd go with western digital drives from newegg.com

I use and sell these drives on a daily basis and I have yet to have on fail.

if your looking to do a RAID 1 you would only need 2 drives (unless your going to make 2 raid 1's or a RAID 10 which would be mirroring and striping)

I'd say go with the 500GB or 750GB, the 1TB are insanely priced right now because they are about as high as you can get.

I find it humorous (ironic?) that you say you plan on setting up RAID 1 but say

[quote name='darkchaostitan']I'm looking into putting together a RAID 5, but I'm not sure I want to lose the whole space of 1 hard drive to do so.[/quote]
since you "effectively" lose the space of 1 hard drive for each RAID 1 you have set up.

Mabye it was my mistake for not clarifying the benefit of just having a RAID 1 vs. a RAID 5 is it's simplicity of coverage, where as with out parity RAID 1 can run more efficiently than 4 drives reaching in to recover the 5th. I wasn't so sure abour creating the RAID 5 for the loss of disk space would not be as effective in comparison to a RAID 1. In my opinion I really am having doubts about RAID 5, it seems to me that it's one of those things that really looks good on paper, or has been too expired of use. RAID 10 seems to be the best setup of RAID that I can think of however, rather than it's counter part RAID 01.

bread's done
Back