Cheap High Speed Internet

PapiChullo

CAGiversary!
I was just wondering for those that have high speed connections, either DSL or cable, what are some of the cheaper options out there? I'm going to be graduating from college soon, and I can't imagine having to go back to a 56K connection. So I'm trying to look into some stuff before I leave. I live in Maryland and I know Comcast is like 50 or 60 bucks a month, so I'm looking for something cheaper than that. 20-30 dollar range if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

I have Verizon dsl. $29.99 a month and first month is free. Think the speed is like 3mb down and like 756kps up. Who is your local phone carrier?

You can get Comcast for $19.99 a month for 6 months, then $42.99 after that. You can also get that deal plus a free cable modem through places like Staples. Base speed is 4mbit down and 384k up, for $10 more a month, you can get 6mbit down, and 768k up. I've been happy with Comcast, don't really have a choice since Verizon blacklisted me.

[quote name='valor19']I have Verizon dsl. $29.99 a month and first month is free. Think the speed is like 3mb down and like 756kps up. Who is your local phone carrier?[/QUOTE]

Not really sure, maybe Verizon.

29.99/month isn't bad at all, I'll have to look into that, and the Comcast deal isn't as bad as I thought.

Thanks guys.

If you have Cablevision, and you pay a phone bill, get Optimum Online with Optimum voice, the money you save on your phone bill might make it free... that's if you call long distance.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']If you have Cablevision, and you pay a phone bill, get Optimum Online with Optimum voice, the money you save on your phone bill might make it free... that's if you call long distance.[/QUOTE]
Get Vonage or Packet 8 and save even more, with whatever highspeed connection you have. I've had Packet8 for over a year now.

http://www.vonage.com
http://www.packet8.net

Verizon sucks.

watch out for DSL though if you got a lot of people in your area your DSL might not work right and REMEMBER you will have a lot of Big ugly blockers sticking out of every Jack you have in your house besides the one the DSL is hooked to.

i had comcast since Dec 2003 and have yet to pay full price

Dec 2003-june 2004 19.99 month
June 2004-dec 2004 19.99 month
Dec 2004-june 2005 27.99 month

what i do is a few days before my promo ends i call up and say i want to cancell. sometimes they give you a new promo other times they go fine. If they say fine just keep calling them up till someone gives you a new promo. they would rather keep giving promos then to lose you as a customer. THough back in Dec 2004 i was told very rudely that I would never get another promo and i said right back to them WEll i guess i will just go back to dail up cause i wouldnt paid 45 buck for your piece of junk : )

you might also have a pay a month between promos but you should keep calling and bugging them and they should give in sooner or later. im going to try it next month again with my cable and hi speed. if not i will just go back to dial up for a few months then hook into another promo

[quote name='dafoomie']Get Vonage or Packet 8 and save even more, with whatever highspeed connection you have. I've had Packet8 for over a year now.

http://www.vonage.com
http://www.packet8.net

Verizon sucks.[/QUOTE]

thing is, optimum online and optimum voice are bundlede together cheaper....

BTW, if you have OV you can't get calls from your alarm system.

[quote name='slidecage']watch out for DSL though if you got a lot of people in your area your DSL might not work right and REMEMBER you will have a lot of Big ugly blockers sticking out of every Jack you have in your house besides the one the DSL is hooked to.

i had comcast since Dec 2003 and have yet to pay full price

Dec 2003-june 2004 19.99 month
June 2004-dec 2004 19.99 month
Dec 2004-june 2005 27.99 month

what i do is a few days before my promo ends i call up and say i want to cancell. sometimes they give you a new promo other times they go fine. If they say fine just keep calling them up till someone gives you a new promo. they would rather keep giving promos then to lose you as a customer. THough back in Dec 2004 i was told very rudely that I would never get another promo and i said right back to them WEll i guess i will just go back to dail up cause i wouldnt paid 45 buck for your piece of junk : )

you might also have a pay a month between promos but you should keep calling and bugging them and they should give in sooner or later. im going to try it next month again with my cable and hi speed. if not i will just go back to dial up for a few months then hook into another promo[/QUOTE]

I just tried this for time warner and they knocked 10$ off my cost basically no questions asked. I just asked if they had a cheaper option. She actually tried to sign me up to the promo again, it wouldnt let her so she just credited my account.

I know right now, that Comcast is $19.95 and if you sign up through Dell.com, you get a $100 rebate. So basically you end up paying $19.95, plus any extra fees and a modem rental ($3.00 per motnh), if you need a modem.

Also I know in PA (PA.net, I think), they have a DSL program through Sprint. The cost ranges from $28.95 on up, depending on the speed you choose.

bread's done
Back