Cheap Kcups?

Redeema

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
Just got a Kcup machine from Amazon's Black Friday deal and wanted to ask if anyone knew of a good place, online or B&M, to find good sales or just a good deal. Specifically I'm looking for hot cocoa, but eventually I'll be getting coffees beyond my 36 count variety pack. Best price I found was for a 3x12 bundle on Amazon for $17.25, but they're out of stock. Otherwise, they seem to run about $1 per K-cup, which isn't exactly cost efficient considering I can just get a box of Swiss Miss for $2.

Thanks in advance.

I purchased one of these for my dad over the weekend as well. I'm a little concerned about the reviews because so many people say they die after a year, but I'm hoping it lasts a good long while.

Since I bought it I have been looking into some extra gift ideas as well. Mine came with a large variety pack already, I wanna say there were 60+ between the coffee, hot cocoa and apple cider, but I can't remember for sure. But, I was still wanting to find some extras for him, I have discovered that value really isn't the number one goal for these beverages :D The only thing I can think to try, other than Amazon would be Bed Bath and Beyond. They always have the coupons for either 20% off your order or $5 off of $15 and I saw in their add that they always offer free shipping, so that may be a decent deal.

Buying K-cups from Amazon should probably be one of your last choices because the prices aren't considerably lower than any other place and you can't use any coupons, discounts, etc.

I've had a Keurig B70 of my own for about a year now and my experience has been that getting K-cups for super cheap is dependent on what stores are available to you as well as your taste preferences. If you aren't overly picky, you may be able to find some sale/clearanced K-cups every so often.

Target - I found some on clearance once because they were going to expire in 3-4 mos. Don't know how often you can find this though.
KOHL's - can't speak for variety but I know my Mom has picked some up from here before and I'm sure they were cheaper than what you would normally find them for.
Costco - They have a "decent" deal if you can handle 80 cups of the same coffee. ~$38 for 80 cups = $0.48 each. In my experience though, Costco only carries 1 or 2 kinds/flavors so your choices are very limited.
BB&B - as 1NF suggested, they have those 20% coupons that they give out like candy. Using those coupons, a box of 16 or 18 will run you probably just under $9 before tax so it'll probably cost you about $0.50 a cup and they usually have a wide variety.

What I suggest to you here is to consider your value of "time" vs. cost. If you don't mind the time involved in "making" your own K-cups, I would suggest one of these bad boys. I use this from time to time in addition to K-cups. The great thing is that you can make virtually anything with it (Tea, Coffee, Hot Cocoa) and use whatever flavor/brand of your choice at a fraction of the cost of a K-cup. The obvious issue is whether or not you want to deal with filling the filter with coffee and then cleaning it after every use. I like having both the disposable and re-usable K-cups because this approach helps me reduce the cost of coffee, but I still have the convenience of the disposable ones when I'm in a rush.

On a side note, one bit of cautionary advice for you: don't let your coffee maker sit around for a long period of time with the water reservoir filled. As it says in the manual, it will calcify and then make your machine not run (either properly, or at all). I once let it sit for over a month and it took some work to get it to brew again. So I would suggest running a cup of water through every few days or just purging the reservoir when you won't be using it for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the advice, BB&B is on my way home from work, so I'll keep them in mind. I was also looking at that filter, but I didn't realize that I could use it for something like cocoa. Not sure what the advantage of using that over my pre-heated water from the cooler thing would be, but I suppose more options are better.

Also, my Mr. Coffee machine is one serving, so doubt I have to worry about the calcification problem, but it's good to know regardless.

Register your brewer on the Keurig website, you get a Buy 2, Get 2 free with 22count+ boxes and free shipping. Comes to about $0.30/cent a k-cup.

Sometimes on Staples.com you can use a $25 off $75 coupon but generally speaking the Kcups are expensive that's why I bought one of the reusable ones that you can just pack your own coffee into

[quote name='ssjmichael']K-cups really aren't designed to be cost-efficient. The whole product is centered around convenience at a premium. I like how stupidly simple it is, but If I got one, I'd probably just get one of those Solofill K-cups and put my own coffee in it most of the time. Better for the environment too

http://www.amazon.com/Solofill-Refi...T5SK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322806977&sr=8-2[/QUOTE]

Solofill.. that is what I was trying to refer to. My girlfriend and I really like ours but we aren't big coffee drinkers. It's great if I want one cup right before work or to help wake me up.

I bought a Keurig unit for my parents last year and they really like it too but they like to make coffee a pot or two at a time. So the Keurig is nice is they want a gourmet cup of whatever they have in stock but most of the time they'll use their $20 coffee maker so that they can make an entire pot for pennies compared to what a K cup cost

[quote name='sasukekun']Register your brewer on the Keurig website, you get a Buy 2, Get 2 free with 22count+ boxes and free shipping. Comes to about $0.30/cent a k-cup.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I got 96 K-cups for $29.xx using that deal.

You also get 10% off all products permanently for registering. Can eventually earn 15% discount if you order a ton and earn enough points.

Keurig also makes their own refillable filter if you don't like the Solo one.

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-...B2FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325361274&sr=8-1

I bought that one as I have a couple of bags of Starbucks coffee beans I need to get through. Love the convenience of K-Cups though, so I'll use those when I just want a quick cup of coffee before hitting the shower and heading to work, and use the refillable cup when having a few cups on the weekend etc.

Once the beans are gone I'll decide whether to get more or just stick with K-cups. The beans are cheaper for sure, but it's a hassle to grind and spoon into the tiny reusable filter.

I usually only have 1-3 cups a day, so Keurig/K-cups are pretty convenient for me vs. the 5 cup maker I was using before and usually dumping out some coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned registering your machine with Keurig to get the coupon...registering also activates your one year warranty and I just wanted to comment on the excellent customer service we experienced from them last month. We got one of these machines for Christmas 2010, registered it a few days after Christmas, and then at the begining of december 2011, the brewer stopped working. (We use the brewer every day, we love our coffee) anyway, a quick call to the customer service line, explained what happened, they had me try a few common fixes to verify it wasn't something simple, and then they had me mail in the kcup holder piece (the part that pops out for cleaning) They shipped us a brand new machine and we got it just before Christmas.
Had heard these often die in a year, and I guess we experienced that, but the customer service was excellent and getting a replacement was painless. Still love the machine.

Edit: meant to add that we buy the K-cups at Sam's Club ~$38 for a box of 80, and we also have the fill it your self thing. We also like to buy the sample packs directly from Keurig's website to try different off the wall flavors. purchases give you points, and they are always sending me emails with sale offers and coupons for buying on the website, so sometimes we get a good deal there too.

[quote name='JediKiller24']
Had heard these often die in a year, and I guess we experienced that, but the customer service was excellent and getting a replacement was painless. Still love the machine.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are a lot of reviews out there complaining of their machine dying in a year to year and a half.

It gave me some pause, but from reading up some more there are tons of reports like yours out there of great customer service and them replacing machines even out of warranty etc. so I still took the plunge.

Really loving it. Just can't beat the convenience for someone like me that only usually has 1-3 cups of coffee a day.

Struggling to use the My K-Cup to finish up the Starbucks beans I have. Just hassle to grind them and spoon into that tiny filter, and even more so to have to clean it out to make a second cup. So I'm mainly just using it on weekends when I usually have 2-3 cups and just using K-cups on weekday mornings when I usually only have 1 cup.

Its a good deal if you are buying coffee from Tim Horton's or other similar place on the way to work, you can definitely save money with the Keurig over that. I am not a coffee drinker but my friend buys their K-Cups at Bed Bath and Beyond with coupons for about 50 cents a K-Cup. K-Cups are probably the best for a single person coffee drinker, as its cheaper than getting coffee at the coffee shop and you don't have to boil a ton of water or brew a whole pot just for one cup.

Of course there is always the option of buying the refillable cups so you can use your own coffee so its not like you are forced to use K-cups.

I'd say if you want to use your own coffee all the time (or most of the time) those Mr. Coffee and other single cup brewers are the way to go. They're cheap and their reusable filters are a lot easier to fill up and clean than the tiny My Kcup filter. Especially since you can get the little paper filters to put in those reusable filters and really make clean up easy.

Keirug is all about getting a quality cup of gourmet coffee pretty much instantly, and you pay a premium for that vs. using your own coffee. But using the my K-Cup adds hassle to the mix and kind of defeats the purpose vs. using a cheap cup at at time brewer or a 4-cup coffee maker etc.

check major dept stores, I was at JCP and they had a lot of kcups on sale because they were expired (i know right?) or near expiration. So YMMV...but for anyone that wants to risk it, JCP in Newport Center Mall, NJ has kcup boxes on sale. Just get the ones that expire on Jan 16th, dont get the ones that expired on Nov 22, 11.

I bought one of these last Christmas for my wife and a few days after Christmas it stopped working.

Just over a year old!!!

I tried everything Keurig said to get the machine working but nothing worked.

Then I read on the internet about "Spanking the Keurig".

Simply turn the machine upside down and slap the bottom of the machine a few times.

To my surprise the machine started working again. It appears to loosen up some deposits in the coffee lines. I then ran a few cups of water through and noticed a bunch of loosened deposits had broken up and were now out of the machine.

I then did the same thing to our office Keurig machine that no longer worked and it fixed it as well!!!

It is also advisable to descale the machine every three months so that deposits do not build up in the machine.

[quote name='Hytham']Saw this on SD and thought of this thread. $9 w/ fs from amazon. http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/670...-cups-kcups-for-keurig-brewers-milk-chocolate[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that there are problems with powder Kcups like hot chocolate and chai tea clogging the needles.

Apparently Keurig support recommends running through a cup of hot water after making any kind of drink from a powder to prevent clogs.

Just FYI for anyone that buys one of these.

I really hoped this thread was about bras. I don't drink coffee but my wife just got one of these things for Christmas and will be looking for deals eventually...

[quote name='sasukekun']Register your brewer on the Keurig website, you get a Buy 2, Get 2 free with 22count+ boxes and free shipping. Comes to about $0.30/cent a k-cup.[/QUOTE]

This..

Also look into Eko Brew.. make your own KCups.

Kroger had a slae. Staples has some on sale, etc.

I guess the Mr Coffee Kcup machine lasts longer than the Krueg brand according to reviews.

[quote name='pbnate88']These Kohl's coupons you guys use where do you get them? Or do I need the credit card[/QUOTE]

Sometimes they appear on the front page of local newspapers, usually $10 off 20. You can also find people selling them on ebay.

If you have a Kohl's card, every month they will send you mystery coupons for either 15, 20, or 30% off, the great thing is those coupons will stack with the $10 coupons.

I second the vote for an Ekobrew: http://www.amazon.com/ekobrew-Refillable-Keurig-Brewers-1-Count/dp/B0051SU0OW/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_c

Currently on sale for $10.95 which is pretty good. Does a much better job than the Keurig branded reusable filter and looks like it's been built better than the Solofil.

As far as places to buy, sites like CoffeeCow.com and CoffeeWiz.com have pretty decent pricing after ship, and become really cost effective if you purchase enough to qualify for free shipping. If you don't mind making a larger order or paying the premium for shipping, BigCatCoffees.com lets you mix and match K-cups to make a custom pack. Nice if you like variety like some of my co-workers.

christmas tree shop has ones out for 9.98 here-that used to be the normal price for me a couple years ago, now they range from 11.98-14.99 depending on brand

Dug this thread up because Amazon has the aforementioned Ekobrew refillable cup in the gold box deal of the day. Anyone interested may want to jump now, there are several different options if you are.

I'll third or fourth the vote for the Ekobrew.

Amazon has pretty good deals on the San Francisco Bay brand of french roast - 36 cups was around $13 or so shipped.

Maybe I'm missing something, but filling a little cup with your own coffee seems like it would defeat the purpose of these machines. Seems like you'd be better off with a cheaper machine.

I guess most coffee makers aren't like mine then. It has a cone-shaped mesh filter thing and you just fill it up with the amount of coffee you want, depending on whether you want to drink a whole pot or just a cup. To be honest, I don't know a damn thing about coffee. I've got a big drawer full of it, but nobody in my house drinks it (it was all free, so we keep it around for guests). We just use the coffee maker (which was also free) for tea because it's more convenient than using a kettle.

CAG really does have a thread for everything huh? haha. But anyway www.bigcatcoffee.com has some decent deals and has a large variety of coffees and teas.Tons of interesting flavors I haven't seen at many other retailers. Also the ability to make your own K-cup pack which is awesome. Although the place used to be better when they had free shipping over $49 now it's over like $79. But definitely a place to check out.

Most boxes you can get 24 K-cups @ $13.75

[quote name='Redeema']Well, I drink maybe a cup a week. Most people who get these don't need an entire pot, only single servings.[/QUOTE]

I think that was his point. Why hassle with filling your own re-usable K-cup if you're just having a cup a day? It's a tad cheaper I guess, but not really worth the hassle IMO.

I bought a reusable filter as I had a couple bags of Starbucks coffee beans I need to use. But I seldom bother with it as it's too much hassle to grind beans and spoon them into the reusable filter vs. just popping in a K-cup since I rarely have more than 1 cup of coffee in the morning.

Also, pricewise, you can get single cup brewers from Mr. Coffee and other companies for around $20. So that's a cheaper route if you just want to use your own coffee and not K-cups, and only drink a cup every now and again.

bread's done
Back