Cheap laptop repair?

There's almost always a local repair guy that can fix this for cheaper than sending it in to the manufacturer.

If you are relatively handy, it's actually not too difficult to change the screen yourself. I've done the repair several times for friends. Just google the model of your laptop and "service guide" or something and you should find a guide that shows how to remove the covering and what not to replace the screen. What you can do if it's just the screen is look for people selling the same model laptop on ebay. Lot of times there will be non-working ones for sale and they are just selling for parts or they are actually selling the screen.

Finally, there should be computer repair shops locally that are certified for your manufacturer. There should be a listing in the manufacturer website about certified repair partners in your area.

But how much will it cost? My real issue here is it MIGHT just be worth it to buy another one. Or a cheaper one. My computer is just an HP with an i3 and 250 gig. Pretty crap specs really.

Hard to say really without more information. Google your HP model and see how much replacement screens cost. I found a few sites just by briefly searching. Also, it depends on what you use your laptop for. If it's just for web browsing, listening to music, downloading stuff, etc, then it might be worth it to fix it if the price is right since an i3 with 250GB HDD is plenty good for just that type of use.

I have an older HP DV6105 (15.4") that I love too much to have ditched when my screen broke. It dropped, while in a padded laptop case, from about 3 feet up. Hit the cement just right and the screen went bye-bye.

It should cost you right around the $100 mark shipped for a brand new replacement screen on eBay. Mine was shipped to me via FedEx very quickly, and took about half an hour from start to finish taking my sweet time with it. Rather fun too, it's like electronic surgery.

Nothing is crappier than a sad laptop with a broken screen.
Nothing feels better than knowing your world won't end if you drop your laptop (again).

I've been extremely happy with my eBay replacement for almost 2 years now. Much better than the alternative I had to resort to while finding my replacement screen:

LCDWhat.jpg

(My laptop tucked behind a desktop 19" LCD screen)

That's pretty awesome. I watched some videos and I realized I don't have a single tool they used. Weighing the cost of those vs hiring a guy to do it for me.

bread's done
Back