Cheap TV from $200 - $400 ?

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
A friend of mine has gotten an RA position here at school and she now is in need of her own TV because she is now moving to her own room.

She really does not care for quality necessarily, just one that works. She said she is looking at spending ideally $200 but no more than $400.

Any ideas on the best quality/biggest screen I could nab in this price point/ any great deals currently out there right now?

Thank you in advance for the help as always!

It's sorta marketed as a monitor but that's why I found it cheap. Look at Samsung's HD monitors. They include tuners and several inputs if you just want a TV without being oversized or extravagant. Plus it's hard to find a similar 1080p set in this size range. I own the T200HD and a P2370HD. The first one isn't made anymore as far as I know and the second comes in sizes from 23" to 27" I believe. More than adequate for anyone who isn't blind.

In case you're more the linky type - http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2370...8&s=electronics&qid=1297741585&sr=8-1-catcorr

Check out the vizio razors, they are are edge-lit LED tvs- i just purchased the low-end 26 inch model (m260va) for $279 because I am too cheap to pay $50 more, but it supposedly can do 1080i, and from what I have read you can't really appreciate 1080p until you get up to 32 inches. If you are a member and can find one at Sam's Club they are selling the 26 inch model (m261vp) with 1080p, internet apps, and wifi capabilities for $280. Not sure they are top quality, but good for the price. Get the free amazon prime membership for students and you won't have to pay tax, free 2 day shipping.

Check out google shopping, but here's the amazon link to the m260va:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M260VA-26-Inch-Class-RazorLED/dp/B003LL17HK

Last edited by a moderator:
If she just wants something that works, there's a Panasonic 22" LCD TV on Amazon for $179ish, that comes with an iPod dock. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

Without knowing anything else though it's pretty tough to say what might work. She doesn't need a big TV- most dorm rooms (including RA rooms) aren't large enough for a 32" TV to make sense.

[quote name='Altanis']If she just wants something that works, there's a Panasonic 22" LCD TV on Amazon for $179ish, that comes with an iPod dock. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

Without knowing anything else though it's pretty tough to say what might work. She doesn't need a big TV- most dorm rooms (including RA rooms) aren't large enough for a 32" TV to make sense.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? The person who had the big tv in the dorm always was the "hangout place" when I was at college. Easy way to meet everyone in your dorm. :)

Hm, thanks for all of the suggestions but I was hoping to find a decent sized somewhat crappy tv. Perhaps a bigger Vizio or something.

And in regards to the room, I currently am sporting a 46inch Bravia in mine and it fits perfectly fine, so really a 32inch for her would be nice.

What, you'd rather size over a reliable name? What kind of consumer are you? Size doesn't matter at all. In fact anything over 26"-30" or so is just oversized and worthy of ridicule. You gotta be blind to need something that big.

Thanks for the helpful input LottaGames. If you realize I said this is for A FEMALE FRIEND. I am simply looking for what she said. I tried to tell her otherwise but this is what she wants.

I have a tri-monitor set up with 2 amazing Samsung Monitors as well as a 46 inch Bravia. My stuff is top notch and far more expensive than what should be in a dorm.

Regardless, please stick to what I am asking rather than trying to jab at me. The room itself is somewhat long and so a larger tv would be better, but she does not have that much money so she just wants whatever brand she can get really. I told her shell out closer to $500 and get a decent 32 inch Sony or something. That amount however is more than she can afford.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Thanks for the helpful input LottaGames. If you realize I said this is for A FEMALE FRIEND. I am simply looking for what she said. I tried to tell her otherwise but this is what she wants.

I have a tri-monitor set up with 2 amazing Samsung Monitors as well as a 46 inch Bravia. My stuff is top notch and far more expensive than what should be in a dorm.

Regardless, please stick to what I am asking rather than trying to jab at me. The room itself is somewhat long and so a larger tv would be better, but she does not have that much money so she just wants whatever brand she can get really. I told her shell out closer to $500 and get a decent 32 inch Sony or something. That amount however is more than she can afford.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware but by getting a cheap brand just to get something big you may be throwing her money away. You said she won't listen though so whatever. Personally I wouldn't recommend Sony either. They make great consoles. The rest of their electronics don't last as long for the price.

I wish I knew where people got this notion that size matters most. It's like those idiots who buy games for graphics instead of gameplay.

Also, since she's living in the dorms, a 62" or something wouldn't be very practical - that is unless she plans to live there 365 days a year. something like a 32" or 37" is still a fantastic size, and she'd have no trouble transporting it when the school year is up and she has to vacate the dorms.

amazon.com/L32HDF11TA-32-Inch-2-Year-Warranty-Black/dp/B003LPUWV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297898304&sr=8-1
-32in TCL HDTV 720p - $289.99

Great reviews, used to make TV's with RCA and uses Samsung parts. I bought the TV for my family and it's been a great deal. TV has worked great and for the price I wish I had bought one instead of my $700 Sony.

amazon.com/Toshiba-32C100U-32-Inch-Black-Gloss/dp/B0038JED6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297898472&sr=1-1
- Toshiba 32in HDTV 720p $299.99

pfft and to think this stupid site had my IP banned...look at the people I help!
clowns..

Is craigslist out of the question? Alot of people unloading perfectly fine LCD's for the slimmer Leds... thats always an option. Little risky for you dont know what your getting...but for someone who doesnt care might not be the worst idea ever.

[quote name='SpeedNut']What are you talking about? The person who had the big tv in the dorm always was the "hangout place" when I was at college. Easy way to meet everyone in your dorm. :)[/QUOTE]

True true....

bread's done
Back