Cheap way to fix a Vita?

ArugulaZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
So, I took a chance on an as-is Vita. Mental note: don't take a chance on an as-is Vita. The screen was cracked, which didn't show up in the eBay picture but can be seen with a little tilting. I wish that had been mentioned in the auction, but hey, you spins the wheel and you takes your chances.

My question is this: can the system be repaired economically? I've been hunting around online but all my available options seem to cost $100, a little less than the price of a working system on Cowboom. Will Sony cut me a break and repair the system for a reasonable price, or do I have a really cool paperweight on my hands? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

So, I took a chance on an as-is Vita. Mental note: don't take a chance on an as-is Vita. The screen was cracked, which didn't show up in the eBay picture but can be seen with a little tilting. I wish that had been mentioned in the auction, but hey, you spins the wheel and you takes your chances.

My question is this: can the system be repaired economically? I've been hunting around online but all my available options seem to cost $100, a little less than the price of a working system on Cowboom. Will Sony cut me a break and repair the system for a reasonable price, or do I have a really cool paperweight on my hands? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
=/ If you ordered it through eBay, and the seller neglected to offer details behind what was broken or say that the Vita was nonfunctional, then you have a claim. "As-is" is a term used loosely, so sellers have to specify what is going on. If the original listing has no indication of having a cracked screen or "this item is nonfunctional/as-is" stamped as proof on the page, then you can file a claim with eBay and get your money back.

=/ If you ordered it through eBay, and the seller neglected to offer details behind what was broken or say that the Vita was nonfunctional, then you have a claim. "As-is" is a term used loosely, so sellers have to specify what is going on. If the original listing has no indication of having a cracked screen or "this item is nonfunctional/as-is" stamped as proof on the page, then you can file a claim with eBay and get your money back.
I've taken the precaution of saving that page, just in case. Thanks for the advice; I don't think it's going to get me very far with the seller, but every little bit helps!

I was talking to a friend who had a PS Vita and was less than thrilled with the experience. He spent $300 on his machine, only to have the screen crack sometime later. Plus he didn't think much of the software selection when his machine did work, calling it a dumping ground for PSP and PS1 ports. I think what I'll do is wait a couple of years to get one, after the Vita Slim has dropped the price and the system has gotten throughly shellacked by the 3DS. (I'm hoping that new LCD screen is more sturdy than the old one. I've heard stories that the OLED is really, really delicate; more so than a piece of consumer electronics ought to be.)

It was a dumb move buying that system; I really, really should have done more research before taking the plunge. Oh well, some days you get a Wii U for $150 or two copies of Chase the Chuckwagon for $5, and some days you fall for a deal that seems too good to be true, and is. (shrugs)

I've had no luck with online purchases this week; between the PS Vita, slowed mail delivery because of a record snowfall, and a CAG purchase that was lost in the mail, I'm getting really discouraged. The CAG member promised a refund if the games never arrive, but still, I wanted them! (Tough nuts to you, Arugula, you ain't gettin' 'em.)

can't you still use it with a cracked screen?
I've heard it's an all or nothing deal with an OLED; if part of the screen breaks, the whole display dies. With an LCD screen some of the display may still be functional after damage. I won't be able to tell for sure until the AC adapter arrives, and like I said, everything's been shipping dog slow this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
guess no one read the link

Does your PS Vita turn on but no picture appears on the screen? Your PS Vita's screen may be cracked. Unlike the PSP system where the screen will have spiderweb-like cracks and the screen will still turn on; when the PS Vita screen is cracked, no image will appear on the screen at all making it harder to see if the screen is damaged.

bread's done
Back