Cheap wireless Netflix device?

blindinglights

CAGiversary!
My parents just got high speed cable at their house and want to switch from the Netflix by mail option to the streaming, but they need a device that supports it.

I'm looking for something that is wireless and has HDMI out. If it was also a decent blu-ray player, that would be nice too.

Not sure what to look for as far as brands go, because I just use my PS3 for this.

Just be careful with the Sony ones. When they are wifi adapter 'ready', you have to get the adapter separately.

Maybe they'll use an ethernet cord(cheap on eBay)?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Roku LT is $50 and it's purple, so that's a bonus.[/QUOTE]
Yep, get the roku LT. http://shop.roku.com/ Amazon also has it but they are selling it for $10 above MSRP...

I saw a review for the Roku that says it requires your CC information to be entered before you can use it. What's the deal with that?

The Sony equivalent of a Roku is pretty nice. You can typically get one for 30 bucks if you'll settle for last year's model, which has all the nice stuff like wifi built in. A bluray version of the same thing set me back 40 bucks. Just keep an eye on Sony's online store.

Keep an eye on this link, especially around April when Sony releases new crap.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...egoryId=8198552921644534352&searchType=outlet

EDIT: Forgot to mention it use's the same interface as the ps3.

ROKU just started requiring a card not to long ago. Reason being, in the past if you wanted to subscribe to a different channel, you had to do so outside of ROKU. Since they now made it mandatory to have a CC or paypal account, you just order the programming through them. A lot of people like the idea of just going through them vs having to hand out your CC to 15 different providers. I believe you can also use a prepaid card.

I would say Roku or AppleTV I have both. There are some Roku that are cheaper but I prefer the apple tv I like the interface better.

Roku is $50-100. appletv is $100

If you want to have a bluray player then just get one of Sony/Samsung bluray internet player. Sometime they have sale for these for $80 at costco (Last week when i was there) and I think it also lets you play media files from an external HDD orcourse it's limited to certain type of files unlike the roku player but then the roku doesn't have bluray.

Be careful with the Sony dvd player, especially if you use the built in wifi capability. Sony's players have a glitch where the connection keeps getting dropped. I haven't tried a wired connection to my blu ray player because I have other options.

Honestly, I would recommend you get a WD TV Live hub. It requires a wired connection, but you can use it for Netflix, Hulu and many other streaming options. The hub also has a USB slot and a 100 (I think) gb hard drive. It can read any movie format (mkv, divx, avi, etc) so you can upload/download movie files to the hub. Since it's a hub, it can act as a streaming video server for your house.

bread's done
Back