Cheap Xbox 360?

tianxia

CAGiversary!
I pretty just want it to play jRPGs (Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia), so all the extra crap like a hard drive, internet, etc. are unnecessary. I do want a warranty in case it RRODs (what's the failure rate now, like, 1 in 3?), though. I guess a really cheap Core or Arcade would probably be ideal.

Any ideas? I probably won't be picking it up until August (when ToV drops) so unless I can find a super-cheap one somewhere right now, I'll have to take this rumored $50 July price drop into consideration as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Been digging around. Think the Gamestop refurb Arcade for $200 is a good deal? They said they'd honor the RROD warranty as well as a standard 90-day warranty from Gamestop.

Might wait until the July price drop to see if the refurb's price drops even more, though.

As an aside, are there any better deals for a used system, either B&M or online?

Recently there's been some deals on refurbished Pro Systems (with 20gb hdd) for about $200. I think Buy.com is still selling a refurbished Pro for about $203 shipped after a 5% coupon (look online for coupon). Although I think it's a good deal, a lot of people will probably tell you that it's best not to get the refurbished.

I don't mind refurb if it comes with a good warranty. That way I can get it fixed even if it breaks. Better than shelling out full price for it IMO.

That being said, the deal's kind of tempting, but I'm wondering if it worth it to hold off until after the rumored E3 price cut to see if the refurb price drops even more. How quickly do the prices on refurbished systems drop following a price in the retail?

The refurbs should be MS re-manufactured refurbs, with a new improved 65nm CPU motherboard. They lack HDMI ports though. The rampant RRODs have been cured at least.

[quote name='Tyrannical']The refurbs should be MS re-manufactured refurbs, with a new improved 65nm CPU motherboard. They lack HDMI ports though. The rampant RRODs have been cured at least.[/quote]
They haven't been cured. They have been reduced however. There's still currently around a 10% fail rate.

[quote name='tianxia']So wait, which one is the old fail-prone 360, with or without HDMI?[/quote]

Both. Unless you get a Falcon, a 90-day warranty isn't going to be much protection. And there's no guarantee a refurb will be a Falcon. I just got a non-Falcon HDMI refurb directly from Microsoft 2 weeks ago.

[quote name='Bazz']Whatver you do don't buy a refurb spend the extra 50.00 its worth it.[/quote]

Extra $50? Maybe so. Extra $150? That's a whole different ballgame.

bread's done
Back