CheapAssGamer All-In-One Trading Rules/Guide - PLEASE READ FIRST!

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
Ahoy! Lots of reading ahead. Helpful for both new and old users alike!

THE RULES

Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware!
CAG Productions, LLC and CheapAssGamer.com take no responsibility for anything that goes on in this forum. You are on your own here so trade wisely.

This site does not condone or support illegal activities. This includes, but is not limited to piracy, items that support piracy, and selling/trading stolen or unauthorized merchandise. No flashcarts, fliptop, slide cards, HDLoaders, modded consoles, or anything associated with piracy. Even though there are some who do use these items for legitament, legal purposes, it is a better to be safe and not allow any of it.

The unauthorized selling of coupons will also not be tolerated.

Please, try to keep the majority of items Video Game Based. MP3 Players and Laptops are fine, but this is not the forum to sell your toy or quilt collection.

Users who violate these rules will be warned.

If a user continues to violate the rules after their warning, they will be banned from the site.

All auctions belong in the CAG Gaming Auctions forum.

If you are a retail store or other commercial entity, please contact CheapyD first at [email protected] before posting your merchandise.

If you do not want to trade with somone, then do not bother posting in their thread, it is that simple. Only post when you want to make an offer or have a legitimate question about the stuff they are trading in their thread. If you know for a fact they are a scammer, please post proof that this is the case or PM a mod (Preferably myself). Slander will not be tolerated.

A new feedback method is currently in on defenders To-Do list.

THE GUIDE

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN TRADES AND ACTIONS

I cant stress this enough. As much as everyone wishes, all users aren't law obeying citizens that are good people.

Basic tips for all traders (Borrowed from GameTZ):

Be Very Clear - Spell out exactly what the deal is before agreeing to it. Ask about the condition of their goods and tell them about the condition of yours: Does it have a box? Does it have a manual? Is it scratched? Is is pirated/burned/bootleg? (Pirating is not allowed!) Discuss the mailing method beforehand. The postal service charges by weight and distance, and there are a variety of ways to send a package.

Be Prompt - Mail your package when you agreed to mail it. If you do not have the items (i.e., they are part of another trade you haven't yet received, etc.), don't make the deal. If you fall behind and are slow to ship, be sure to tell the other party as soon as the problem or delay occurs so that they are informed of the situation. Good communication is important to making smooth deals.

Send an Email/PM After Mailing - The day you mail the package, send the other trader an email saying so. This will help them know when to expect the package. Ask the other trader to do this for you. Let them know as soon as you receive the package they sent.

Check to Make Sure the Item Works - As soon as you receive the item you should check to make sure it's in working order: Is the package damaged (dents, holes, etc.)? If it's hardware of some kind, does it work okay? If it's software, is the media in good condition? ALWAYS check these things as soon as you receive the item; don't wait until weeks down the road or your story may be less believable.

Save All Emails - Save all emails you get from and send to the other trader. Keep them at least until the deal is complete. They can be very helpful later if something goes wrong.

Be Honest - Never tell someone that you have sent an item when you have not. When the item does not arrive, or when it arrives late - they will be upset and may take action against you.

Try a "Background Check" - If the other trader is a GameTZ member, they may have a list of completed trades. Contact the people they traded with. You can also search for the person's name and e-mail address in Google Groups. It may show you their past newsgroup posts or posts about them.

Check Their Address - Try to finding a person's address and phone number by entering their name in places like AnyWho, NetFind, SwitchBoard, or Yahoo! People Search (Use Yahoo/Google to find the sites). You can also search for their name, email address, and physical address on the Bad Trader Reports page and places like Troll Hunters (www.trollhunters.com).

Exchange Phone Numbers - A phone number can help in finding other information about the person if you are cheated. Also, for additional security, call the person before making the trade.

Use Proper Packaging - Securely package the item. Packages can be mishandled while in transit, so use a solid box with packing material. This doesn't have to cost you anything. The US Postal Service will provide priority mail boxes for free (provided you promise to use them ONLY for Priority Mail) and deliver them to your house for free! Just add some newspaper, packing peanuts, or bubble wrap to the inside to keep your goods from sliding around. Padded Envelopes are also fine, but a solid box is best.

Choose Your Mailing Method Wisely
The US Postal Service (USPS) offers a wide variety of shipment methods for packages. Here's a brief explanation of some of them:

Registered Mail requires that every person handling the package, including the trader on the other end, sign for the package. Pricing starts around $7.50.

Express Mail provides some insurance for the item being shipped, is quick (usually next day w/in the USA), and you can track the package online (see below). The recipient must also sign for the package. Pricing starts around $11.

Certified Mail w/ Return Receipt requires the recipient to sign for the package. You can also add Insurance to this method for a small additional fee. Pricing starts around $3 in addition to postage.

Priority Mail offers shipping times of 2-3 days on average, though sometimes it can take longer. Pricing starts around $4. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation with this method.

First Class Mail offers a shipping time of 3-5 days on average. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation, as well as insurance, with this method.

Media Mail offers a shipping time of about one week, though it can sometimes take longer. Shipping costs are about half those of Priority Mail, starting around $1.33. You can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation, as well as insurance, with this method.

Delivery Confirmation - For a small fee (about $0.40-0.50) you can get a "Delivery Confirmation" number on First Class packages, as well as Priority Mail and Media Mail that will allow you to verify when and where an item was delivered. If you ship using Priority Mail and print your label using the USPS online form, you get Delivery Confirmation for free! DELIVERY CONFIRMATION IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD! In any decent sized trade, both traders shoudl use this.

Signature Confirmation - You can get "Signature Confirmation" on Priority Mail and Media Mail that will allow you to verify when and where an item was delivered, as well as viewing a scan of the signature of the person who received the package.

You can track Express Mail packages, as well as Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation packages online during and after delivery. It sometimes takes 1-2 days for a tracking number to get into the system, so don't be alarmed if you can't track it immediately.

Some traders also use United Parcel Service (UPS) and FedEx to ship packages. These methods are generally more expensive than those offered by the USPS, but in some ways they are more reliable and faster. You can track these packages here during and after delivery.

Get Insurance - For large trades (especially anything involving hardware), get insurance on the shipment. This helps avoid disputes if something does not work when it arrives at the other end or doesn't arrive at all for some reason!

Avoid Sending Cash - If you have money involved in the trade, DO NOT SEND CASH THROUGH THE MAIL. If the cash is lost or stolen, the trader who sent the cash is just out of luck. Instead, send a check or money order, use an online payment system such as PayPal or c2it, or ship via COD.

If a seller is unsure about the reputation of a buyer that wants to pay using a check, then the buyer should send a check, and the seller should hold the goods until the check clears (usually 7-14 days). If the buyer never receives the item, he can get any needed info about the seller from the cashed check. If the seller never receives the check, he hasn't lost anything. This system protects both parties. Be careful, however, if your checks list very personal information that you wouldnt want others to know.

Know the Law - The Mail Fraud and False Representation Statutes. (http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/statutes.htm)

Avoid Big Deals - Don't trade multiple items or pay large amounts of money in a single trade, especially when you're just starting out. If you want to make a big trade with someone, do it in several small parts.

Relax - If something goes wrong, it's not the end of the world.

If you see a possible trade that you're interested in, send a Private Message or Email to that person. Please discuss things over there where it is more private.

And finally communication is the most important part of trading. Without it, things can get nasty. Be nice and reply to PM's as soon as possible. Nobody likes to wait.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to post it. I'd be glad to add/remove things as needed.

Happy trading!

-Eric

Official CAG Tally Topic Archive Thread

Official CAG Scammer Archive Topic

One thing that I would like to get across (though most seem to have caught on) is that Media Mail flat-out sucks. Once, I did a trade with someone for Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. The other party sent Media Mail, and it took damn near a month for me to get my game. I had traded with this person in the past, and I trusted him every step of the way, but Media Mail can take forever sometimes.

So, do both yourself and your potential trader a favor and send first-class. It might cost you an extra 50 cents or so each time, but we'll all make out better in the long run.

In addition, if you plan on sending Priority Mail, you can print your labels off the USPS website (the USPS website only lets you print Priority), and you can get FREE Delivery Confirmation. Also, if you print labels through PayPal (PayPal lets you print first-class labels), you can get DC for a reduced fee, something like 13 cents I believe. You have to set up certain accounts to do either, but it's so much more convenient this way. I hate waiting in line at the post office, but with this way, you can just drop it off there without waiting in line, or if it's small enough just put it in your mail box.

(Also, this is post #500, and I'm officially a cheapass allstar. Yay!)

[quote name='livetnediser']One thing that I would like to get across (though most seem to have caught on) is that Media Mail flat-out sucks. Once, I did a trade with someone for Ninja Gaiden on Xbox. The other party sent Media Mail, and it took damn near a month for me to get my game. I had traded with this person in the past, and I trusted him every step of the way, but Media Mail can take forever sometimes.

So, do both yourself and your potential trader a favor and send first-class. It might cost you an extra 50 cents or so each time, but we'll all make out better in the long run.

In addition, if you plan on sending Priority Mail, you can print your labels off the USPS website (the USPS website only lets you print Priority), and you can get FREE Delivery Confirmation. Also, if you print labels through PayPal (PayPal lets you print first-class labels), you can get DC for a reduced fee, something like 13 cents I believe. You have to set up certain accounts to do either, but it's so much more convenient this way. I hate waiting in line at the post office, but with this way, you can just drop it off there without waiting in line, or if it's small enough just put it in your mail box.

(Also, this is post #500, and I'm officially a cheapass allstar. Yay!)[/quote]

yes media mail is the crappy. I shipped a few guides media mail and one took 2 weeks, and the other 3 weeks.

I think it should be said that it's good form to try to reply to everyone. Even if someone PM's you and you are not interested in their offer at all, just reply and tell them. It's just good manners imo, and you never know when that person WILL have something you want later on down the road. :)

[quote name='livetnediser'](Also, this is post #500, and I'm officially a cheapass allstar. Yay!)[/quote]

Congrats on the #500 post.

Recently, I've been sending a whole assload of stuff through media mail and parcel post, for one reason. I've been using cardboard boxes with a large amount of packing materials in the box to protect the item. One problem with this has been that almost without question, the box is outside the realm of first class weight allowance (16 ounces), and from 13-16 ounces, it's a tiny bit more money to go Priority over First Class. Over 1lb in weight, you're either looking at media mail, parcel post, Priority, or Express mail. Media mail is pretty slow, yes, though for me, it's been taking 4-6 days on average for packages to get to the other end. The cost is OK, and as long as the other party is OK with it, then you're able to use it. And so far, since I've been doing it this way, I've not had a problem yet (and don't plan to). You're nuts if you ship something without a DC, especially media mail. A DC is a simple way to keep an eye on it, give something to the sender for them to keep an eye on, and something for the post office to look for if it goes poof. According to the USPS, if it doesn't arrive in 14 days (not counting Saturday), it's a candidate for it being misplaced in-transit. Without a DC, you have no proof you sent anything. With a DC, you have some proof. When in doubt, and you're not sure, ask the other party their preference on shipping and work with them on what they'd like to happen. Higher cost of shipping is something that either goes into the price back to the other party, or it comes out of your pocket as a reassurance it'll make it there OK.

Sticking to Paypal for payments, which lets you do shipments from inside of Paypal has been a huge godsend for me, since I can do the labels on my laser printer, slap them on the box and leave them at work for the postal carrier person to pick up and take with them, as long as there aren't more than a couple/few boxes. Most of my payments go through Paypal, and the few that haven't, I've been trying to stick to MO's, so that way, no cash disappears in the mail, someone isn't sending me their check which might or might not clear, and the USPS is happy to sell $0.90 money orders, which seems like a small price to pay for some peace of mind on both sides.

Packaging is something I'm going to stress and stress with good reason. A padded envelope doesn't always cut it. With the chance for the game to get tossed around in the mail transit, the disc can come loose from the center spine of the case and flop around for who knows how long in-transit. I had to deal with a damaged mail claim and a Paypal dispute over a poorly packed item from eBay and it was a giant pain in the ass to get it all sorted out. Check with any of my most recent buyers, they're all commending the job I do on the packaging, and everything has shown up OK, from games to Wavebird bundles. Yes, they're big boxes, but they make it there intact and with their cargo untouched. 60% or more of my transactions are sales or trades, and I've not had a problem yet (and don't plan to). I'd rather take the personal expense on a box and some bubblewrap/tons of newspaper/airpack and know it'll survive being mishandled on the way there than try to take a chance on a padded envelope. If you do use a padded envelope, look for the plastic-skinned versions, which will survive getting wet, and cover the flap with some type of tape, packing tape or the like, so that'll insure it'll stay closed on the trip.

Communication is crucial in doing business on here. Keep the other party informed, keep them in the loop, and keep copies of everything between the two parties. PM them the DC as soon as you have it, and record it in your records. Make sure you respond to questions quickly and don't leave them in the dark. If they know what's going on, they won't feel like you don't care about the transaction. Hold onto everything before feedback is left, make sure they're happy, make sure you're happy, and then leave the appropriate feedback. Keep an eye on it when it's in transit, either to you or from you, and check up with the other party just to see what's going on with them. If they're happy with what you did for them/with them, they'll recommend you to others, do business with you again, do you a favor, and generally be glad they worked with you.

Yeah, that's a lot I tossed out there to think about, though with 89 trades under my belt, at #5 top trader, and a bit higher with the new update to post later today, I've had a little experience in this in the time I've been around CAG. You learn by watching how others do their trades & sales, and make sure that you cover yourself, no matter what happens.

My first trade on CAG was with Ryback. He told me flat out that the best way to ship a game is First Class with Delivery Confirmation. He was right every step of the way. If you can't send First Class, whether it be weight restrictions or for other reasons, ship it Priority. It's faster than media, and only costs maybe 50 cents more than First Class. Also, feedback is very important. In order for people to get their start here, they're going to need feedback. Always leave it and make sure it has be left for you.

One very important note:

If one user ever doesn't live up to their end of the trade, or you think you might be getting ripped off, please do not keep it to yourself. Let us know about these things. PM SS4Brolly, or me. Thank you.

[quote name='Trakan']One very important note:

If one user ever doesn't live up to their end of the trade, or you think you might be getting ripped off, please do not keep it to yourself. Let us know about these things. PM SS4Brolly, or me. Thank you.[/quote]

You also need to bring this up to Trakan or SS4Brolly if the other side isn't communicating with you when you're trying to ask them for updates on the information. If you're asking questions without any answers from the other party, get Trakan or SS4Brolly involved with it. Use some common sense here, if they don't respond in a day, that's too short to be concerned, though if you're talking 5-7 days, then that's some time to get a mod involved.

[quote name='Trakan']One very important note:

If one user ever doesn't live up to their end of the trade, or you think you might be getting ripped off, please do not keep it to yourself. Let us know about these things. PM SS4Brolly, or me. Thank you.[/quote]

add me right to that list, if i am on and the other 2 are not... there may be something i could do as well... even if it is just getting the heads up to brolly or someone else sooner :)

One more thing to add: Sometimes there is a legit delay in the shipping. I once shipped a 60 dollars item from Dallas to New Mexico priority mail, and the guy received it 2 weeks later. I would suggest with every order to get that delivery confirmation so the package can be tracked. I know many cheapasses will scoff at the $1.50 or so it takes to use, but it is well worth it and protects you from a potentially big loss.

[quote name='manofpeace20']One more thing to add: Sometimes there is a legit delay in the shipping. I once shipped a 60 dollars item from Dallas to New Mexico priority mail, and the guy received it 2 weeks later. I would suggest with every order to get that delivery confirmation so the package can be tracked. I know many cheapasses will scoff at the $1.50 or so it takes to use, but it is well worth it and protects you from a potentially big loss.[/quote]

Need to correct the above facts:

1) A delivery confirmation, when shipping something at the post office is $0.55. Signature confirmation, which requires a signature to pick up the package, as well as working as a delivery confirmation, is a $1.50 expense.

2) When going through Paypal shipments, a DC on a first class or media mail box is $0.20, and already figured into the shipping price that Paypal charges. On Priority Mail through Paypal, it's free of charge.

3) Express Mail, regardless of shipping origin, Paypal, USPS website or USPS office, comes with a DC for free and $100 of insurance for the price of the Express mail.

I ship everything with a DC, and wrap it into the shipped price for the game I charge. It's invaluable and worth every penny, regardless on how you ship it. Admittedly, it's not a true tracking #, like UPS, FedEx or DHL have, though it shows you that it got there. Signature confirmation means the person who it's addressed to has to sign for it and it can't be left at the door without getting a signature.

As a side note: Mail going within the US isn't considered lost until 14 days have elapsed, and Sundays don't count in that timetame. Don't bug the USPS with a package that hasn't arrived until the 14 days are up, since they'll just tell you the same thing.

[quote name='shrike4242']1) A delivery confirmation, when shipping something at the post office is $0.55. Signature confirmation, which requires a signature to pick up the package, as well as working as a delivery confirmation, is a $1.50 expense.[/quote]

DC for packages shipped via Priority Mail is only $0.45.

2) When going through Paypal shipments, a DC on a first class or media mail box is $0.20, and already figured into the shipping price that Paypal charges. On Priority Mail through Paypal, it's free of charge.

There's also a $0.13 "label processing fee" that is waived for Priority Mail packages. So technically, DC online costs $0.33 or $0 if you're using Priority.

[quote name='video_gamer324'][quote name='shrike4242']1) A delivery confirmation, when shipping something at the post office is $0.55. Signature confirmation, which requires a signature to pick up the package, as well as working as a delivery confirmation, is a $1.50 expense.[/quote]

DC for packages shipped via Priority Mail is only $0.45.

There's also a $0.13 "label processing fee" that is waived for Priority Mail packages. So technically, DC online costs $0.33 or $0 if you're using Priority.[/quote]

Corrections happily accepted. :D

Punq and I have come up with a couple of ideas to prevent forum clutter. I think this will work alot better.

bread's done
Back