Cheapest & Best-est gaming mouse?

alangee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey guys,
These STEAM deals have got eagerly wanting to get into gaming on my PC. Games are much more affordable, and look more beautiful. Unfortunately I only have a Mac right now, but a good one.

I definitely need a good gaming mouse along with so many other things I can't afford right now. What's the best gaming mouse on a budget?

The Logitech MX 518 is my default choice just because of how great its ratings are on Amazon. But any other recommendations for a good cheap gaming mouse would be awesome.

Are "gaming" mouse pads really necessary? Are mouse pads necessary at all? I've used a laser mouse without for many years and it still works. Gaming keyboards?

Thanks for any help guys. I'm totally new to PC gaming but from everything I've heard, it's the best way to game (especially FPS). It's my new New Years resolution to get an awesome rig.

RAT 7 (go wireless with a 9) and X6 Sidewinder... I know you said cheap, but spending a little extra on premium goods will save you money in the long run. Gaming pads aren't necessary, but the extra width on some of them make it so your hand and mouse don't slip off the pad when you need some extra movement. Plus, certain lasers 'latch' on better to certain surfaces so that can be a huge plus.

Glad you're giving PC gaming a go and you're right, there's no other way to game. Good luck!

I feel like it's a waste to get a gaming mouse unless you're serious. Like competiton-level serious.

With that said, just use whatever's comfortable. I've been using an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 for years. Lots of my friends use MX518s.

The MX518 is a great mouse. If you have time to wait, you can usually get rebates on a newer G500 and end up paying less than the mx518.

Above all, though, the mouse needs to be comfortable to you. Maybe go to a Best Buy or something to see how they feel in your hand before you buy, I've spent $50 before on a mouse that just wasn't comfortable, and now it sits in my desk drawer.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']
Above all, though, the mouse needs to be comfortable to you. Maybe go to a Best Buy or something to see how they feel in your hand before you buy, I've spent $50 before on a mouse that just wasn't comfortable, and now it sits in my desk drawer.[/QUOTE]

QFT

I'm still rolling (haha, bad pun) with the Limited Edition Razer Diamondback that I bought while my Freshmen year in college. It's due for an upgrade, but man I'm going to miss the awesome lightweight feel of this mouse when I do.

As for mouse pads, I'm bought a Ratpadz XT a year ago, and haven't really regretted the decision. It's a very durable piece of plastic which allowed my mouse to move very very effortlessly (which is a plus to me, because I have CTS, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome).

I bought the second generation Saitek Eclipse keyboard during my senior year of Highschool, and honestly I'm quite shocked on how long this keyboard held up (3 systems later). I bought it because of the blue LED that it had, but being a 'gaming keyboard' generally meant that there is a level of quality construction that is meant to keep up with the abuse of semi-competitive PC gaming that I dabbled in every once in a while. I loved the feel of this keyboard, and it was a joy typing 400+ pages of scholarly reports over the course of my academic career with this puppy. It felt good, looked good, and I think gave me an edge over the idiots who would play with a $10 board from Staples.

But honestly, do you need all of this? No! My 'mentor' for CS:S owned my ass with a $15 Logitech keyboard and a mx518 set, bought used off of eBay, and his mouspad with a ripped-off binder cover that used to house his intro to management notes. Buy what works for you, but most importantly don't buy into the hype. Try each product first, and get a feel for what could be the only mouse and keyboard set you'll ever going to use for the next decade. I know people, pros and casual games, who couldn't stand my current setup. My mouse might be too small for them, too light, or DPI setting too awkward to use on-the-fly. The keyboard? No programmable macros buttons, separate LCD status screen, and ghosting after 3 simultaneous key-presses. The mousepad? Too slick and not big enough of a footprint. And if the last 3 sentences didn't make sense to you at all, then chances are you won't need something that I'm using :D

Anyways, if you're looking for some pointers, I always look to Razer for my gaming mouse needs. Logitech is a close second though, but I never like how their mice feels on my hand. Now I'm really tempted to buy a Logitech keyboard, but I'm looking for mechanical keyboard to help with my carpal tunnel (aka, I'm willing to spend at least $60+ on a very loud keyboard).

[quote name='rumarudrathas']QFT
[/QUOTE]

Yo, I have major problems with my wrist. It's something that console gaming is really fucking with. I'm really hoping that gaming on a PC will feel a lot better. I'm not sure if it's because I constantly have to be using my wrists to press strongly on L3/R3 sticks or what. It's pretty ridiculous. One hour of gaming gets me to start feeling a few pains. I usually stop after 2. Can't take it anymore.

Do you play console? Does it hurt you? Does it feel better on PC?

[quote name='option.iv']Then the only solution is a trackball...[/QUOTE]

That's what I rock. Could never deal with regular mouses for too long.

[quote name='Megazell']That's what I rock. Could never deal with regular mouses for too long.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's a bit too late. I already ordered the Logitech mouse :\

If I have some major wrists pain, what trackball would you recommend? Logitech has a very affordable trackball for under $25.

[quote name='alangee']I guess it's a bit too late. I already ordered the Logitech mouse :\

If I have some major wrists pain, what trackball would you recommend? Logitech has a very affordable trackball for under $25.[/QUOTE]

The MX518 should do you good, trackballs can be inconsistent on less than perfect surfaces and requiring cleaning.

[quote name='alangee']I guess it's a bit too late. I already ordered the Logitech mouse :\

If I have some major wrists pain, what trackball would you recommend? Logitech has a very affordable trackball for under $25.[/QUOTE]

I went with these type of mouse (mice) years ago.

Logitech TrackMan® Marble Mouse

lgt9043680311.jpg

I have a gel padding grip that I made myself to support the bottom of my palm. I have large hands and all other mouse (mice) that I have played with have started to cause some strain. With a track ball, I never had that problem. No matter how long I am on the computer in a traditional format (sitting at a desk.)

You can usually find this mouse for under $25 or less.

I got the Logitech G5 gaming mouse in blue last year somewhere between 20 to 30 bucks on eBay which is not too shabby. Just like the MX 518 but comes with an adjustable weight cartridge so it feels just right. You can come across some good deals there.

[quote name='alangee']Yo, I have major problems with my wrist. It's something that console gaming is really fucking with. I'm really hoping that gaming on a PC will feel a lot better. I'm not sure if it's because I constantly have to be using my wrists to press strongly on L3/R3 sticks or what. It's pretty ridiculous. One hour of gaming gets me to start feeling a few pains. I usually stop after 2. Can't take it anymore.

Do you play console? Does it hurt you? Does it feel better on PC?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the controller, really. I won't lie though, there are times where after playing a marathon of PC games, I needed to walk away from the mouse+keyboard just because I lost full sensation to my hands.

That being said, I can't stand holding a PS2/3 controller for longer than 3 hours. I don't mind the 360 controller, but I was a BIG fan of the original Xbox 'Fatty' controller (felt great, even after a Halo 1/2 alnighter). Playing with the PSP is alright, but I can't marathon Spirit Tracks on the DSi (again, going numb after 3 hours). And since I'm on the subject, gaming on my iPhone sucks after the first hour.

What I could suggest for going to PC gaming with a mouse or keyboard: Google up some ergonomic tips website about proper posture and whatnot. I bought a computer table that I customized the height to so the keyboard tray would be an easier, natural reach for me (cost me around $60 on sale, which I'm currently typing on. The bricks I used to boost the height was free). I also picked up a small 'mouse pillow' that I attached to my mouse pad which helped with the wrist pain too. For the longest time I used an old sock stuffed with foam as one, but went ahead and picked up one at staples for $3. The chair I'm sitting on was something I saw from a yard sale, which cost my $20 a couple years ago, and it's still comfy as hell.

Yeah, might be overkill, but if your wrist is giving you problems like mine have, then these are investments for your future. The last thing you want to stop you from gaming is some stupid back/wrist problem that makes enjoying the hobby you love a living hell to do.

[quote name='Megazell']I went with these type of mouse (mice) years ago.

Logitech TrackMan® Marble Mouse

lgt9043680311.jpg

[/QUOTE]

My mother-in-law works as a sys-admin, and she replace her mice at work with this one when she got hired. She love this mice so badly she has a spare still in box, just in case.

I love how this feels in hand, but I can never see myself gaming with one.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']My mother-in-law works as a sys-admin, and she replace her mice at work with this one when she got hired. She love this mice so badly she has a spare still in box, just in case.

I love how this feels in hand, but I can never see myself gaming with one.[/QUOTE]

That only con for that mouse/trackball is the lack of a mouse wheel but I usually handle that with a bind to KB control for that if the game requires it.

Well I know it´s a not a gaming mouse, but I´ve recently bought the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for around US$ 15,00. It´s a very good mouse for the price, and if you are used to no brand mouses, it´s a huge, huge improvement. The mouse is big, quite precise since I´m not a pro gamer anyway, and with a good mouse pad and the right ergonomics in your table, it´s great.

Also, really make sure that your table and chair are in a nice position. You can get the most expensive mouse out there, but if you don´t position your arms right, you´ll feel the pain regardless. Anyway, best of luck.

bread's done
Back