Cheapest Car insurance

kroadmeister

CAGiversary!
I went to American Family and they gave me a full coverage quote of 338/mo. The biggest factors is that I am male/21 with less than 2 years driving experience, I also got a minor traffic ticket.

I was looking to buy a 10-11 K Honda or Toyota but that won't happen with that rate. Even liability on a cheap car was almost 200. So there's got to be a cheaper way.

Insurance rates are inevitably going to be high when you're a male under 25. I checked all the insurance companies online when I bought my policy, and I ended up buying insurance with the hartford through an independant agent. In my experience, you can always find the best deals if you go through an independant agent in your area. Also, if you pay up coverage for 6 months instead of going month by month, you'll save a considerable amount. You can also bundle car insurance with renters insurance to save even more.

It matters as stated above who quotes it. Typically if you go to two fully capable agents one cant beat the other unless there is a difference in coverage.

Another thing to consider is how any particular company pays off your car. Like Progressive gives absolute lowest NADA on a vehicle where as other companies (Like Auto Owners) pays the high end of the NADA.

So you may pay less but you are getting swiss cheese.

Also if you get a hold of a local agent he can give you the rate for various cars. The cars rate depends on, cost to repair, safety features, and size... as well as distance you travel while using it, area you live in (i.e. crime etc) among other things.

When I was 19 I was paying 2300 a year for my truck with my parent's "insurance guy". I switched to Geico and my rate went down to 1300 a year. I'm now 31, still with Geico, and I can't recommend them enough. Seven years ago a crashed my 30k car. Geico gave me more for the car than I originally paid, and my insurance only went up about 20 dollars a year for a few years (accident surcharge).

Currently, I pay 1400 a year for two people with full coverage on three cars. Every couple of years I try to get quotes from other places and they can't even touch Geico. Last quote I got was from Progressive and it was around 800 dollars a year more.

They give quotes over the phone and I think they probably do on their Web site as well.

It seriously depends on you driving record, age, area, car & all the crap...so everyone is different. I have Progressive and pay $1300 a year for my truck. I am also 22 with 2 accidents and 4 speeding tickets. So that is pretty good imo. I have had friends get quoted double me for Progressive and get it cheaper from allstate. All I can say is get an agent and have them get you quotes.

The biggest thing is just putting the time in for quotes. Since you are in one of the highest rate roups, you should leave no stone unturned. Rates vary widely between companies and it is worth the time on the front in to get rate quotes.

As far as State Farm, stay far away from them. I am an attorney and do a good bit of consumer law. I have had more complaints about State Farm denying legitimate claims than any other company. If that's not enough, just look at how they jerked over the people after Katrina and now are not issuing policies in Mississippi. It may be home insuranc, but it still goes to show you the mindset.

I should note that I have Geico as well. It also reduced my rates significantly. I got it when I was in my 30's though.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']
As far as State Farm, stay far away from them. I am an attorney and do a good bit of consumer law. I have had more complaints about State Farm denying legitimate claims than any other company. If that's not enough, just look at how they jerked over the people after Katrina and now are not issuing policies in Mississippi. It may be home insuranc, but it still goes to show you the mindset.[/quote]
Well that wasn't just State Farm that was every insurance company.
Lets face it insurance (car, home, health, life) in the US is the biggest legal racket in the world. Its expensive but $300+ a month is unreasonable. If insurance price is gonna be a stretch on your budget forget the word Honda because saying in front of an insurance agent will make them see dollar signs. Toyotas are generally cheaper but still more than a comparably priced American car. If I was in that price range for a car and was in your shoes. I would look for a 4-5 year old Volvo, if you find something with low miles it is not only a tank but if you happen to get a girl you can put her on some leather interior and the insurance is cheap, there is a reason pediatricians drive them. And look to buy private party because used cars at dealers may be the second biggest racket in the world.

I am always amazed when someone tells me they didn't start driving cars at 16. Probably because I didn't grow up in a densely populated area like NYC, etc. I have a friend who didn't have his license until he graduated College. His story was even stranger though - he was from a small town outside St. Louis. He said he just never saw the need as he could get rides from all of his friends...Apparently when he did drive in College (without a license) it was quite the experience for his "lucky" friends who got to ride with him...

None of this is applicable to the question though. I have heard that Nationwide has awesome rates, but you have to first prove yourself to be a good driver (No tickets over X number of years, etc). Obviously not helpful now, but if you keep a good record it's something to keep in your back pocket. My parents saved quite a bit swithing over to them a few years back based on a tip from a friend.

Have you tried AIG Auto? I
v been using them for a while now after switching from giecco (giecco was running me 1300 a year for 2 cars, no accident or tickets) AIG got me down to 900+ when i switched, and now for the same 2 cars a few years later, i'm paying 72.50 a month www.aigautoservice.com

bread's done
Back