Cheapest place for Graphic Novels (now with links)

Frosty The Batman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
223 (100%)
*Edited on 7/18/08
added the links everyone's been giving me.
scroll down for various responses for the quality of the sites.
Thanks for all the links!

www.instocktrades.com/
www.amazon.com/
www.deepdiscount.com/
www.mailordercomics.com/
www.tfaw.com/Graphic-Novels/Nick-And-Dent
www.amazon.com
www.borders.com
www.buy.com
www.betterworld.com/

Either online or B&M.
I really want some Batman and Superman ones.
Or the Civil War and Zombie ones.

I'd prefer to collect the novels versus the comics.
(both cheaper and less space)

I'm a super comic btw.
I just love Batman and Superman is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
instocktrades looks good ... never heard of this site before. Thanks.
Do they ship books so they arrive in perfect condition?

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Either online or B&M.
I really want some Batman and Superman ones.
Or the Civil War and Zombie ones.

I'd prefer to collect the novels versus the comics.
(both cheaper and less space)

I'm a super comic btw.
I just love Batman and Superman is all.[/quote]

batman fan here: if you don't have yet, definitely need Batman:Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Both written by Frank Miller and great masterpieces of Batman. I just finished both of them, and I can't wait for the movie.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Awesome thanks for all the new responses.
I'll definitely look into those Von551.[/quote]

No, you should not look into those, you should buy them. Those along with The Killing Joke and Long Halloween are the absolute must read Batman graphic novels. Trust me, you want to read them.

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']Awesome thanks for all the new responses.
I'll definitely look into those Von551.[/quote]

yeah, no worries. some of the best story telling and it's cool to see how some of the events in these books show up in batman begins.

[quote name='PullUpRed6']No, you should not look into those, you should buy them. Those along with The Killing Joke and Long Halloween are the absolute must read Batman graphic novels. Trust me, you want to read them.[/quote]

I'll second The Killing Joke, as someone who doesn't really like Batman that much, I loved it.

I've just starting to get back into comics late last year, mostly the Graphic Novels and TPBs. Here's some of the ones I've tried and how they worked out.

I've used instocktrades.com several times. They ship in boxes and everything is great shape the prices are usually 35% off sometimes a little more. Free shipping over $50, so I just wait till there's at least that much before ordering.

TFAW.com is good, shipping is high. The Nick & Dent 50% off sale I've done a couple of times and the damage isn't that bad on it, I've seen trades with more damage at comic shops.

Amazon.com is good after you order some Trades/Novels start checking your gold box sometimes they will have a good discount.

Buy.com only good if you're ordering something big like a Marvel Omnibus, which ships in a box. TPBs get shipped in a cheap double adhesive cardboard sheets. Corners where damaged in shipment. Even if you do a big order won't guarantee a box

Hope these help. I'm also collecting Batman comics you may want to check out Arkham Asylum, it's been a long time since I've read it, if I remember right it's good.

[quote name='amacher']

I've used instocktrades.com several times. They ship in boxes and everything is great shape the prices are usually 35% off sometimes a little more. Free shipping over $50, so I just wait till there's at least that much before ordering.

[/QUOTE]

If it's DC and Marvel Instocktrades now does up to 40% off with free shipping over $50.00. These guys sponsor my site and I have been ordering from them for three years never without any problems. If they ever give us more coupons I'll make sure to post them for you guys here.

I agree with Amacher: if you care about the condition of your books, do not order from Buy.com. Their packing is surprisingly bad for such a large merchant. Every book I've ever ordered from them has come in a worn condition with scratches, small tears, and dents that obviously came from cheap packing.

Amazon like suggested or Borders if you want to go B&M. Sign up for their free club card thing and they're constantly emailing you 20-40% off coupons. Pretty much weekly.

If anyone is interested in getting Batman: The Killing Joke, you should just pick up DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. "For the Man Who Has Everything," "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?," and "The Killing Joke" are worth the price of admission alone.

Half Price Books, an outlet store in Rehobeth Beach, DE and probably other book outlets as well, had a crazy sale on Marvel graphic novels last week.

And Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? is one of the best comics ever, I mean like top 10.

And I feel compelled to add that Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, and Marvels are my top 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cleaver']And Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? is one of the best comics ever, I mean like top 10.

And I feel compelled to add that Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, and Marvels are my top 4.[/quote]

Someone has very, very good taste.

I wish DC/Warner eventually decides to fashion The Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come into animated films. Superman/Doomsday was awful, but New Frontier was very good, and I have heard great things about Gotham Knight.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If anyone is interested in getting Batman: The Killing Joke, you should just pick up DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. "For the Man Who Has Everything," "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?," and "The Killing Joke" are worth the price of admission alone.[/quote]

I'll also vouch for this collection. It's fantastic. Other books you'll want to snag:

Batman/Superman Related
Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
The Dark Knight Strikes Back
Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Haunted Knight
Hush (2 volumes)
Arkham Asylum
Knightfall Vol 1-3 (Sword of Azrael for a little backstory)
Superman For All Seasons (A truly beautiful book)
Death of Superman
World Without A Superman
Return of Superman
Superman/Batman Vols written by Jeph Loeb
Identity Crisis
Kingdom Come

A lot of the best Batman/Superman stuff of recent vintage was written by Jeph Loeb. He also did a great job on Daredevil: Yellow. I also highly recommend each and every Daredevil book penned by Frank Miller. That stuff is white hot.

Wow, yeah, a lot of good stuff there. Superman's death, Batman being crippled, and Hal Jordan losing it were the things that really got me into comics.

I actually ran into them at comic con and got a bunch of stuff, so i haven't ordered online before. All the books are new so im guessing thats what you can expect. Seemed like a nice group of guys, I would trust them personally, but thats me.

www.heavyink.com does free shipping on all comic orders including single issues with no limits. They also offer some pretty good prices.

Personally I use www.scifigenre.com and they have pretty competitive prices. However, I've also been friends with the owner since high school, but I only get a tiny discount on my trades for that and nothing for my regular subscription. They do good work and you're supporting a small shop.

bread's done
Back