Cheapest place for these graphic novels? (Superman, Batman, Watchmen)

Hostile

CAGiversary!
Feedback
137 (100%)
Looking for:

• The Death of Superman
  • World Without a Superman
  • The Return of Superman
  • Watchmen
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
They all go for $52.66 at Amazon as a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hostile']Looking for:

• The Death of Superman
  • The Return of Superman
  • Watchmen
They all go for $52.66 at Amazon as a starting point.[/quote]

Okay, so it's obvious you're looking for the trade paperbacks/graphic novel collections of those stories, and not the original, actual individual comic books those stories took place in.

And I'm assuming you're looking for the cheapest, paperback copies and not any fancy deluxe hardcover versions.

Amazon is where I usually order my collections/compilations, when they are at least 33% off cover price, plus the free shipping and no tax. But, there are a few major comic book stores that have annual or twice a year sales with stuff half off or even better. You could try the major Manhattan comic book shop, damn it I forgot what it was called. Ah that's right, Midtown Comics. Oh snap, you're in New York. Well, if you're in the city, you can check out Midtown comics yourself. Don't buy back issues there unless they're having a huge sale, though, because they are PRICY.

Or try halfpricebooks.com, they sometimes have them pretty cheap. Other than that, I say go with amazon, keep the books in your queue/cart saved for later, and wait for them to be at least 33% off. Or if you want used copies or the actual issues, try eBay.

TFAW.com might have them on sale. Check their Nick & Dent specials...should be 60% off, and they're usually close to mint.

Otherwise, Amazon is also a good bet.

This might not be what you're looking to hear but you might be surprised what you find at your local library in terms of graphic novels. I know there's about three of those at my local library. So if your just looking to read them try that out.

if you can wait, I say wait for comic book convention season coming up next year. you can usually find all trades at comic book conventions for at least half off and almost for nothing on the last day as vendors hate to carry stock with them back home.

thats how I picked up my walking dead trades last year paid 40 for volumes 1-7 on Sunday at Wizard World Philadelphia.

Err... I had my Amazon Prime trial and some money on the Amazon balance so I picked up Watchmen for $13 shipped. We'll see about the others. I had no idea what Watchmen was until EGM put it in their cover story and it sounds interesting.

[quote name='Hostile']Err... I had my Amazon Prime trial and some money on the Amazon balance so I picked up Watchmen for $13 shipped. We'll see about the others. I had no idea what Watchmen was until EGM put it in their cover story and it sounds interesting.[/quote]

Biased response...

...Watchmen is a great read. I honestly kept skipping out on it for years. One day, I finally ordered it from Amazon and after reading it, I hit myself for waiting so damn long.

I always recommend your local, friendly neighborhood comics shop or a vendor selling at a comic book show, but Amazon usually has trades cheaper than other places.

In your Superman pile, I'd just check out the Death, the others aren't as good IMHO. Not to spoil anything, but as is typical in comics, others come in and claim to be him, and then he ultimately comes back. Dark Knight Returns is great (skip Miller's follow-up, not good), and the Watchmen is widely praised. In the world of trade paperbacks, the best and most available are the Batman centered ones (Killing Joke, Lonely Place of Dying, Long Halloween, and others).

I use instocktrades if it's gonna be more than $50. Sometimes TFAW will run a 50% on specific books that makes them cheaper, but instocktrades runs 30-35% off all books in stock (which is usually whatever is in print).

[quote name='Hostile']Looking for:

• The Death of Superman
  • The Return of Superman
  • Watchmen
They all go for $52.66 at Amazon as a starting point.[/quote]

The one local Salvation Army had about 6-10 of those Death Of Superman trade paperbacks a while back for $1 a pack. They were mixed in with other comics from that same era.

But, here's the kicker.....I have the Reign Of The Supermen(original comic series that I collected back when they were new) and I think the World Without a Superman run in my comic collection that I'm trying to sell from my tradelist.

Oh and I ALSO have the Death Of Superman trade paperback, but I was kind of holding that off to the side, as I figured it might be worth something. But judging from the responses I received when I called EVERY local shop to try and sell my collection in one shot, none of what I have is worth shit.

I have a lot of the Marvel 2099 stuff from back then, some randoms from this series or that and a buttload of other stuff.

I even have a spoof of Time magazine that was released around the time of Superman's 'death'. I doubt that's worth anything either.

I'm trying to sell everything together though, but I could definitely part out certain runs/series if you need/want them.

[quote name='bsesb2003']I always recommend your local, friendly neighborhood comics shop or a vendor selling at a comic book show, but Amazon usually has trades cheaper than other places.

In your Superman pile, I'd just check out the Death, the others aren't as good IMHO. Not to spoil anything, but as is typical in comics, others come in and claim to be him, and then he ultimately comes back. Dark Knight Returns is great (skip Miller's follow-up, not good), and the Watchmen is widely praised. In the world of trade paperbacks, the best and most available are the Batman centered ones (Killing Joke, Lonely Place of Dying, Long Halloween, and others).[/quote]

I believe I have actually read The Death and Return of Superman a long time ago and I don't remember disliking it. I would prefer to own the complete set anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']By the way, where were you looking for the Death Of Superman trade paperback, OP?

I just found the listing for it on Amazon and it's from $2.99 used or $9.99 NEW.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=death+of+superman+magazine[/quote]

I want to get all the graphic novels I need in one go so I haven't picked that up yet.

I use instocktrades.com all the time. Real easy to navigate, free shipping over 50 bucks and always have top 5 trade picks updated every week. Good to find trade collections and hard to find ones too.

Dunno where the OP lives, but if you sign up for Borders coupons, they oftentimes have 30-40% off a single item. Might be worth a shot to try that out, although I don't know the specific schedule.

[quote name='Dori-dori']Dunno where the OP lives, but if you sign up for Borders coupons, they oftentimes have 30-40% off a single item. Might be worth a shot to try that out, although I don't know the specific schedule.[/quote]

Only problem with Border's is that they now put sensor tags inside graphic novels/trades, onto actual pages (all of the locations here at least). Took me two books before I learned to make them take the tag out in the store, because sometimes they come out ok, but twice they ripped a page on the way off.

Nowadays, unless it's the 40% off coupon, I just stick to instocktrades...

Isn't Watchmen being reprinted just as the original was made? I heard that the original price was staying the same, too.

[quote name='Hostile']Err... I had my Amazon Prime trial and some money on the Amazon balance so I picked up Watchmen for $13 shipped. We'll see about the others. I had no idea what Watchmen was until EGM put it in their cover story and it sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, checked amazon and it's now $12.

If a person never read comics (as in myself), would I still find it enjoyable?
Also, is the one featured for $12 the absolute edition? (that's what I got out of the reviews, not that it really matters)

Anyone?

Edit: I know it isn't the absolute edition now, just wondering if a person who didnt grow up with comics would appreciate it.

[quote name='Foo228']Anyone?

Edit: I know it isn't the absolute edition now, just wondering if a person who didnt grow up with comics would appreciate it.[/quote]

Did you get anything out of 300 without (assuming) prior knowledge of the Greco-Persian Wars?

It has to be said that one of the many layers to Watchmen requires not only a firm understanding of comics storytelling, but almost a meta textual experience you can really only get from study of the genre through either being a longtime reader or someone whom has researched the subject.

That being said, if you choose to read it, you will still get the major themes dealing with authority, social justice, propaganda, legacy, the nature of what the greater good really is etc. heaped in a multifaceted tapestry of existentialism and fantasy.

It really is that damn good and should be read by anyone who wants to see the movie. If you aren't at least a casual comic reader, don't let the wall of text scare you, it reads faster than you'll expect.

[quote name='doctordoom']Did you get anything out of 300 without (assuming) prior knowledge of the Greco-Persian Wars?

It has to be said that one of the many layers to Watchmen requires not only a firm understanding of comics storytelling, but almost a meta textual experience you can really only get from study of the genre through either being a longtime reader or someone whom has researched the subject.

That being said, if you choose to read it, you will still get the major themes dealing with authority, social justice, propaganda, legacy, the nature of what the greater good really is etc. heaped in a multifaceted tapestry of existentialism and fantasy.

It really is that damn good and should be read by anyone who wants to see the movie. If you aren't at least a casual comic reader, don't let the wall of text scare you, it reads faster than you'll expect.[/quote]

You've either studied philosophy (I have) or copied/pasted that from somewhere (I jest). :D

Anyway, he pretty much hit the nail on the head, so I have nothing to add. I'll just say you should read Watchmen, no matter what. It's just a great story, whether you like comics and superheroes or not. If you don't want to read, there is an animated comic available on places like iTunes, XBL, and PSN. I don't think all of the episodes have been released, though, and it's not a replacement for the actual graphic novel.

[quote name='doctordoom']Did you get anything out of 300 without (assuming) prior knowledge of the Greco-Persian Wars?

It really is that damn good and should be read by anyone who wants to see the movie. If you aren't at least a casual comic reader, don't let the wall of text scare you, it reads faster than you'll expect.[/quote]

Loved 300, but it it was just a movie in my eyes. Didn't think about themes or the history behind it.

I've been very interested in seeing the Watchmen, so it looks like I'll be picking it up the graphic novel to enhance my experience (although some say it may hinder it with a similar ending? Please don't ruin it for me :whistle2:#). Guess I could look for boards online with some of the revelations and what they mean, or simply the themes dealt with. Then again, why not have a cag specific topic on all things watchmen (themes included) - it would provide a deep backstory and could either accompany a reading (like mentioned) or get the jist of it all out there.

Thanks for the heads up, doctordoom and bigdaddybruce44.

[quote name='MrBrando']hey, just found this awesome place with a very familiar name www.cheapasstrades.com[/QUOTE]

I agree, it is awesome. Especially considering I built it. ;)

Have you considered the Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus? It collects the contents of the Death and Return trades, along with some material from World Without.

If you can do without the entire World Without storyline, it may be a cheaper option than going with the individual trades.

MrBrando, thanks for the kind words!

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheap Ass Trades: trade paperback comparison shopping
http://www.cheapasstrades.com
The Graphic Novel Archive: over 10,000 editions indexed!
http://www.graphicnovelarchive.com

bread's done
Back