Cheapest place to get xbox 360 HD-DVD addon?

scrub0bk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm looking to get the xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on to take full potential of my HDTV. I know blu-ray is dominant but right now considering i can get a lot of my favorite movies on HD extremely cheap, id thought id get the addon for my 360.

anyone know places that still have them for pretty cheap? B&M or online, or is ebay my best bet for a cheap one?

thanks guys.

I saw one very cheap at my local Gamestop ($47.99) and I'm pretty sure I can get another Edge 10% off. If you want it, I'd gladly pick it up for you and ship it to you if it's still there.

Fry's Electronics for $39.99 and lately they've been bundling two (2) extra movies - Bourne Identity & Carlito's Way (in addition to the already included King Kong). Though Fry's locations are somewhat limited.

If you have time, I would say ebay, keep bidding. Eventually you will fall through.
iy.gif

iy.gif

I got mine at Fry's - the deal that Veritech posted above. I really just wanted BSG season 1 in HD and couldn't wait until the Blu-ray release.

Eh I don't bother with eBay for used devices, unless it's really cheap. Most HD DVD drives for 360 go for well over $20, which may not sound like a lot, but that's a lot to fork over if it doesn't work and you have to hassle with it. I bought a drive a few weeks ago from Fry's and was satisfied paying $47 after shipping for it. Better safe than sorry...

Thanks much for the links, I just ordered the Heroes/Galactica bundle.

Does anyone know if I can play media files (avi, mpg) off of a disc in the HD DVD drive?

I'd be really pleased if that would work, as it would cut down on non-gaming wear of my console's primary drive.

[quote name='foulsmellingdischarge']Thanks much for the links, I just ordered the Heroes/Galactica bundle.

Does anyone know if I can play media files (avi, mpg) off of a disc in the HD DVD drive?

I'd be really pleased if that would work, as it would cut down on non-gaming wear of my console's primary drive.[/quote]

No, I don't think it can

But why not just use a USB drive to play those files on your 360?

:whistle2:s

[quote name='manthing']No, I don't think it can

But why not just use a USB drive to play those files on your 360?

:whistle2:s[/quote]

more importantly, why not just stream it from your computer and cut out the usb drive all together?

[quote name='Toaster Driver']more importantly, why not just stream it from your computer and cut out the usb drive all together?[/quote]

PlayOn messed up my connection, and I'm too lazy to fix it.

I got the $39.99 deal from Fry's (didn't realize they had the $49.99 bundle deal until after I ordered). I paid about $6 or $7 shipping. What astonished me is that I ordered it on a Monday at 3:30pm, and when I got home from work Tuesday, it was on my doorstep.
Works great, and I have close to 30 HD-DVDs to feed it now.

I got one off Ebay right before it dropped to $50 everywhere because HD-DVD died. I wanted it to hook into my desktop PC, though, because I don't have an HDTV. It works wonderfully, and provides two USB ports to hook stuff up to without reaching behind my computer.

HD-DVDs are cheap too, and they look the same as blu-rays on my 19" monitors.(I now have an LG GGC-H20L Bluray/HD-DVD drive in my PC)

[quote name='Toaster Driver']more importantly, why not just stream it from your computer and cut out the usb drive all together?[/QUOTE]

I tried plugging a USB drive into my 360 once and it didn't seem to work - maybe I did it wrong? I'll have to revisit that.

As for why I wouldn't just stream it from my computer... well, it's true the streaming does work great and I do use that often. However, the hard drive in my PC is only 200 gigs, and I don't want to dedicate all of that to media files.

I've got several gigs of media files that I only want to watch once in a while, so burning them onto DVD-Rs is a good archive solution for me. If my Xbox will play the media files off of the DVD-Rs, that's great - and if the Xbox HD DVD add-on would also play those media files off of discs, then that's even better because it saves the wear-n-tear on my main Xbox disc drive.

if your willing to spend a few minutes fiddling with it and pirating a couple softwares, this bad boy plays nice with a pc as well, as someone else mentioned. This has been the best external dvd player for the price ive come across ($50 price from FRYS includes 1 movie, 1 remote, and 2 TV box sets both valued >$50)

I'm thinking about getting the Fry's deal just for the box sets and the extra hd dvd drive. lol

BTW, the 360 does NOT play mpg or mpeg natively. It has no problems with most avi, mov and mp4 files (most, but not all). Mpeg/Mpg does not even appear if you try and play it from a dvdr.

[quote name='foulsmellingdischarge']I tried plugging a USB drive into my 360 once and it didn't seem to work - maybe I did it wrong? I'll have to revisit that.[/quote]

You have to make sure it is FAT32 and not NTFS. Mac formatting also works....

[quote name='darylfoot']You have to make sure it is FAT32 and not NTFS. Mac formatting also works....[/QUOTE]

Ah, you know, that may very well have been my problem. Thanks for the tip!

Tried the 7 movie deal, site says it's in stock, but I get this message when I go to checkout:

"We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. It appears that the item(s) marked with "**" are no longer available or we have insufficient stock to fulfill your order; please try reducing the quantity of the marked item(s). For further assistance, please contact our Sales Department at 1-877-688-7678. "

Shite.

Got the King Kong/Heroes/BSG bundle. Would've preferred the 7 movie deal because I would have actually kept of few of those movies. But I'll see if can make some money back by selling the ones coming with mine.

[quote name='derspiess']I got the $39.99 deal from Fry's (didn't realize they had the $49.99 bundle deal until after I ordered). I paid about $6 or $7 shipping. What astonished me is that I ordered it on a Monday at 3:30pm, and when I got home from work Tuesday, it was on my doorstep.
Works great, and I have close to 30 HD-DVDs to feed it now.[/quote]
Yes! Fry's is amazing with their service and shipping! I bought an Xbox 360 bundle from them about 2 years ago land paid $2.95 for shipping and I got the package within 2 days/

Back on subject, I just bought one of these drives the other day at TRU for $26.98.

[quote name='darylfoot']You have to make sure it is FAT32 and not NTFS. Mac formatting also works....[/QUOTE]

nice avatar, is that brandi per chance?

also, i know there a few different ways to make it work but you need specific drivers, this is not a plug n play device on the computer.

one last thing, i do enjoy the thrashing these things got when they were out and new but now that hd dvds are dead there seems to be a thread that pops up every month or so and has someone asking where to find them.

[quote name='Animal7390']nice avatar, is that brandi per chance?

also, i know there a few different ways to make it work but you need specific drivers, this is not a plug n play device on the computer.

one last thing, i do enjoy the thrashing these things got when they were out and new but now that hd dvds are dead there seems to be a thread that pops up every month or so and has someone asking where to find them.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah it is. She's gorgeous.

bread's done
Back