Cheapest way to get started with Dreamcast, what all will I need

I owned a Dreamcast once for like 4 hours before I decided against it and took it back to the store, back then a couple years ago it was costing $50. Now since it's lower I'd like to pick one up. I know I'd like to get the guns if House of the Dead is multiplayer, other than that I don't know what games. I've heard a lot of good things about Shenmue, what are some other good games. I enjoy mostly RPGs but I'll try anything. I'm mainly looking for cheaper games, nothing that's really expensive or hard to find.
The biggest problem is that I can't find the light guns anywhere, any suggestions for that. Plus suggestions for games would be appreciated.
Also will I need 4 controllers, or does it only have slots for two?

RPG's:

Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II

Two of the best RPG's out there. Those should get you started...

EDIT: The DC has four controller ports. Look at my game collection below for some good DC games...

Shenmue is fun as well as powerstone, 2 controllers will do, i dunno about the light guns for the system, but the house of the dead games are a must with them, a memory card always helps. Try ebgames for all your cheap dreamcast needs.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']Shenmue is fun as well as powerstone, 2 controllers will do, i dunno about the light guns for the system, but the house of the dead games are a must with them, a memory card always helps. Try ebgames for all your cheap dreamcast needs.[/quote]

Should I just get a regular memory card or that VUM thing whatever that is.

Both can be found for very cheap, i personally like the VMUs.

I have a few new/sealed DC games in my tradelist if interested.

Well this might be hard to find since it was for me a while... but Typing of the Dead is always fun.. get the keyboard and you'll enjoy some killing and learning =P. But.. this is just something to keep in mind if you ever come across it =].

As an avid anti-sport game enthusiast I feel odd saying this. NBA Showtime was one of the funnest multiplayer experiences I had on the DC. The games run about 15 minutes and with 4 players the competition can become fierce, expecially when people get their custom players developed. You can find this on ebay and TRU bins (YMMV) for very cheap.

Even the latest incarnations of NBA Street and Ballers just don't seems as fun as this version of Arcade B-ball fun and thus remains king of the hill for multiplayer fun.

Also Virtua Tennis on the DC remains as one of the best Tennis games around (IMO) great single and multiplayer experiences with that game.

Crazy Taxi (best on DC), Chu Chu Rocket, and Soul Calibur (much better than part 2) or also some gems that could be found on the cheap.

I could go on about this system all day, the DC remains as one of my favorite consoles to this day.

About the controllers, you don't really need 4 unless you decide to pick up games that are 4 player. Those times where you can round up 4 buddies are always a good time.

power stone 1+2 and virtua tennis/tennis 2k2 are some of the finest multiplayer games ever made.

ill agree on showtime, somehow it was really fun.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']EB sells controllers, VMUs, rumble packs and 3rd party mem cards all for $2 each.[/quote]

Will I need a Rumble Pack, and one for each controller?

You don't really need a rumble pack, unless you want to feel the force feedback. I wouldn't waste my money on it, but that's just me. And if you do decide to get it, you'll need one for each controller.

I found Shenmue to be boring. My head ached from trying to find the mysterious whereabouts of the "black car" on "the day of the incident". Half of disc 1 had you runnin' around town talking to people. Leading you to a big wild goose chase. The fighting, however, is pretty fun. Only because AM2 developed it that it runs on the same fighting engine of Virtua Fighter 3tb.

Might want to check out the local independent VG stores...I found a DC lightgun at a place called PrePlayed for like $5. It was the only one I ever found. Or just ebay one.

Controller extensions are a must IMO. I think consolesource.com has those cheap. Not a big fan of consolesource but they delivered these fine when I ordered from them...another item I ordered they continuously lied to me it was in stock and was going to ship the next day, then the next day, then the next day...you get the picture. Finally they admitted they didn't have it in stock but it was ordered.

For controllers, VMU's, and Rumble Paks just check ebgames.com every morning, they have them for $1.99 used (controllers might be $2.99). Use PPLAY15 and SAVER to save 15% and get free shipping (not sure if CAG16 works with SAVER might try to get 16% off).

I had two light guns, and yest, HOTD works with both... great fun for multiplayer OR for 1 person to wield both!

I didn't know they were so rare, I sold them to a friend. I found both at Wherehouse clearance.

I've got a bunch of spare controllers, VMUs, SVido cables, steering wheel, etc. PM me if you want the full list.

The best version of Rush 2049 was on Dreamcast, and is a freakin blast wether its single or multiplayer.

One of the cheaper games you'll find, thats also an RPG, is E.G.G. - Elemental Gimmick Gear. its nowhere near the calibur of most DC games, but if you can get into it, its not that bad.

And one more tip: check Toys R Us for some OLD clearance stuff thier pulling out of the back. Also, EB tends to get random shipments of DC stuff

[quote name='punqsux']power stone 1+2 and virtua tennis/tennis 2k2 are some of the finest multiplayer games ever made.

ill agree on showtime, somehow it was really fun.[/quote]

I agree with the powerstone's and tennis's. I'm also going to say if you are fighting game inclined get Marvel vs. Capcom 1+2, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter III: Third Impact, and Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves.

As for single player games. I would say Resident Evil: Code Veronica and the Sonic Adventures.

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='punqsux']power stone 1+2 and virtua tennis/tennis 2k2 are some of the finest multiplayer games ever made.

ill agree on showtime, somehow it was really fun.[/quote]

I agree with the powerstone's and tennis's. I'm also going to say if you are fighting game inclined get Marvel vs. Capcom 1+2, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter III: Third Impact, and Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves.

As for single player games. I would say Resident Evil: Code Veronica and the Sonic Adventures.[/quote]

What are the Sonic Adventure's like, are they side scrollers like the original Sonic?

Definitely have to push Virtua Tennis (hours and hours and hours) and any of the NBA 2Ks - they are seriously great basketball games.

[quote name='icemanjmw13']
What are the Sonic Adventure's like, are they side scrollers like the original Sonic?[/quote]

They're 3D platformers, like Mario 64.

Record of the Lodoss War is a really fun action RPG. Toy Commander and Ooga Booga are good for multiplayer. There's too many good fighting and racing games to mention.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']Well this might be hard to find since it was for me a while... but Typing of the Dead is always fun.. get the keyboard and you'll enjoy some killing and learning =P. But.. this is just something to keep in mind if you ever come across it =].[/quote]

Actually I have Typing of the Dead in mint with the keyboard (sega brand) and I am looking to part with it. Any offers?

[quote name='nneace'][quote name='1SwtDeception']Well this might be hard to find since it was for me a while... but Typing of the Dead is always fun.. get the keyboard and you'll enjoy some killing and learning =P. But.. this is just something to keep in mind if you ever come across it =].[/quote]

Actually I have Typing of the Dead in mint with the keyboard (sega brand) and I am looking to part with it. Any offers?[/quote]

I'm interested, even though I don't even have my DC yet. Send me a PM letting me know what you're looking to get for it either cash wise or games traded.

bread's done
Back