Cheapest way to wire transfer?

gokou36

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to send money to China, what's the cheapest way to send it? I'm using Bank of America, they seem to charge a buttload for it and requires me to go out to the banking center.

PayPal. Ideally, that would be a the best option, assuming who you have to send it to has an account. Then again, PayPal probably can't operate in China because of the whole internet lockdown. If that's the case, wire it to Kazakstan and have someone walk it over.

How much are you sending? I use GoLloyd's for transferring the money I earn here in Japan to my account back home. Each transfer has a flat charge of $20, and I always get the most current exchange rate.

Is Bank of America your normal bank for checking/savings etc?

I'm a Wells Fargo customer, have been for 20 some years, and no charge wire transfers are one of the "perks" they provide on my accounts.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Is Bank of America your normal bank for checking/savings etc?

I'm a Wells Fargo customer, have been for 20 some years, and no charge wire transfers are one of the "perks" they provide on my accounts.[/quote]

Every bank charges for wire transfers. I have a Wells Fargo account as well, and since I don't keep enough to be considered a better customer, I pay $25 for my wires. It's a student account for a nephew of mine, but still. They do charge if you don't keep enough.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']How much are you sending? I use GoLloyd's for transferring the money I earn here in Japan to my account back home. Each transfer has a flat charge of $20, and I always get the most current exchange rate.[/QUOTE]

Not much, about $200-$300. So can I send it from USA->China bank account? Are there any other fees such as currency exchange?

[quote name='BillyBob29']Is Bank of America your normal bank for checking/savings etc?

I'm a Wells Fargo customer, have been for 20 some years, and no charge wire transfers are one of the "perks" they provide on my accounts.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I only have a Bank of America one and don't really want to open a new account and put more money in a different account. What's the minimum anyways to not be charged like you?

[quote name='vasco']Every bank charges for wire transfers. I have a Wells Fargo account as well, and since I don't keep enough to be considered a better customer, I pay $25 for my wires. It's a student account for a nephew of mine, but still. They do charge if you don't keep enough.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know all banks charge for wire transfers as a standard practice. My point was that if you are a long standing customer, or have a large account, wire transfers are the type of service that the larger banks will do for free if you just ask.

Gokou36, in general, $250k+ puts you in a banks high profile bracket but that does vary depending on the financial institution in question.

But like I said, it isn't always about your account balance. If you have a long standing positive history with the bank you may be able to get them to throw some freebies your way.

bread's done
Back