Cheapest Wii-compatible USB Wifi Access Point?

If it's an access point that you're plugging in to your PC, it shouldn't make a difference what brand or whatever. 802.11b is 802.11b, no matter what it says on the box. All WiFi-capable devices, from your PC to the PSP to the DS to the Wii to the Xbox 360 to the PS3, work under the same WiFi protocols, and if your PSP can connect through it, so can your Wii.

Saying it's PSP or DS friendly is just a way of attracting unwitting consumers to buying the product. It'll work the same way as the official Nintendo one, which will work the same way as a D-Link device, which will work the same way as a Linksys device, which will work the same way as a Kensington device.

If you've got a deal for a $20 device, and it's the cheapest you can find, and it reviews well on the internet sites, go for it!

[quote name='phoenicks']If it's an access point that you're plugging in to your PC, it shouldn't make a difference what brand or whatever. 802.11b is 802.11b, no matter what it says on the box. All WiFi-capable devices, from your PC to the PSP to the DS to the Wii to the Xbox 360 to the PS3, work under the same WiFi protocols, and if your PSP can connect through it, so can your Wii.

Saying it's PSP or DS friendly is just a way of attracting unwitting consumers to buying the product. It'll work the same way as the official Nintendo one, which will work the same way as a D-Link device, which will work the same way as a Linksys device, which will work the same way as a Kensington device.

If you've got a deal for a $20 device, and it's the cheapest you can find, and it reviews well on the internet sites, go for it![/QUOTE]

Mostly true, with a few exceptions. The PSP and Wii seem to have a pretty broad range of compatible wireless routers, but the DS can be more fickle about what it will connect to. Here is a partial list of compatible and incompatible routers from Nintendo:

http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/supportedRouters.do

[quote name='joshofstl']Mostly true, with a few exceptions. The PSP and Wii seem to have a pretty broad range of compatible wireless routers, but the DS can be more fickle about what it will connect to. Here is a partial list of compatible and incompatible routers from Nintendo:

http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/supportedRouters.do[/quote]

Is the Wii really more compatible than the DS? All I can tell at the moment is that Netgear is a terrible company to choose when getting online with any Nintendo console.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Is the Wii really more compatible than the DS? All I can tell at the moment is that Netgear is a terrible company to choose when getting online with any Nintendo console.[/QUOTE]

netgear is a pretty terrible router anyways.. if choosing a router usually just go with a Linksys, easy setup, pretty much compatable with everything (no problems with my DS) and they are roughly the same price..

I do have a USB nintendo wifi enabler it was ok, i don't know if it connects with Wii though..

[quote name='phoenicks']If it's an access point that you're plugging in to your PC, it shouldn't make a difference what brand or whatever. 802.11b is 802.11b, no matter what it says on the box. All WiFi-capable devices, from your PC to the PSP to the DS to the Wii to the Xbox 360 to the PS3, work under the same WiFi protocols, and if your PSP can connect through it, so can your Wii.

If you've got a deal for a $20 device, and it's the cheapest you can find, and it reviews well on the internet sites, go for it![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go for the absolute cheapest. Look for a WRT54G(L) Linksys router. I have a GL and with a free hacked firmware upgrade, you can turn it into a dangerously powerful little device. See link:

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Oh, and it is 100% legal. After the upgrade, your router will be able to handle multiple streams incredibly well. I can play CS:S while running a couple torrents and still maintain a ping below 50, and I can increase the Xmit radius by like 10x or more. I guess if you don't want it for anything besides Wii, go for the 20 dollar one, but you can probably find this one for 30-40.

edit: oh yeah, and my roommate is using it now for his Wii and I'm using it for my 360.

I wouldn't go for the absolute cheapest. Look for a WRT54G(L) Linksys router. I have a GL and with a free hacked firmware upgrade, you can turn it into a dangerously powerful little device. See link:

http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php

Oh, and it is 100% legal. After the upgrade, your router will be able to handle multiple streams incredibly well. I can play CS:S while running a couple torrents and still maintain a ping below 50, and I can increase the Xmit radius by like 10x or more. I guess if you don't want it for anything besides Wii, go for the 20 dollar one, but you can probably find this one for 30-40.

Honest-to-god routers are out of the question as the college I'm at goes apeshit if you connect one. So I get to change the cable behind my desk every time I want to get on XBox Live or go back and check my email. GOOD GAME.

Check your local EB's / GS's (or do it online)... they sell the official Nintendo wifi USB thingy for $19.99 used, which is $17.99 if you have the discount card.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Is the Wii really more compatible than the DS? All I can tell at the moment is that Netgear is a terrible company to choose when getting online with any Nintendo console.[/QUOTE]

I believe so, yes. One recent example - I was able to Wi-Fi up a Wii with a wireless router (an HP, a more obscure model) that I could not get a DS to recognize. It wouldn't surprise me that an older handheld like the DS would have more trouble than the newer console.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Is the Wii really more compatible than the DS? All I can tell at the moment is that Netgear is a terrible company to choose when getting online with any Nintendo console.[/quote]
I have a Netgear router and have never had any troubles with set-up and getting the Wii online.

bread's done
Back